Bay City Lodge- here we come!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Yes, got plenty of gulp swimming mullet, but the wind is too much and our boats are too small to fish near the passes where I think the flounder are...

jaymax00

Looks like you all are having some fun! Glad your catching some good fish. I did hear a two triple tails caught. The weren't big but it's good to hear they are starting to show up. Try the CRAB TRAPS! Wink wink

1eyefishing

Home again, home again.
We never saw a triple tail; I only spent about an hour or an hour and a half searching cans and crab traps but didn't see any. Our neighbors in the duplex said they caught a 14 poundr free floating in Saint Vincent sound.
Only one little tiny flounder from the marsh came over the rail, but was let go.
We caught trout, reds, sheepshead, black drum, channel catfish, and largemouth bass. And of course the trash such as stingrays and sail cats.
And it was quite the sight seeing tour, is every day brought something different. We saw a pod of manatees in the river mouth at the head of the Bay. Apparently a mother and four little hundred pound calfs. Also bald eagles and several alligators back in the marsh.

And I learned a new tasty treat to eat with my fried fish. It's mango and tropical fruit Greek yogurt mixed with guacamole and a little bit of lemon juice. Add a little bit of picante sauce on the side and it makes great fish tacos with yellow rice and black beans. The partner also spices is it up with a little chopped onions and chopped tomatoes, but I passed on that part.

A view of my buddy fishing in his boat from my boat across the marsh.

No photos not loading right now, but anyway, a great time was had by all...:yeah:

1eyefishing

6 nights at Bay City Lodge. 400 bucks per person for the three of us. The restaurant was open only one night. And they had no shrimp. Had to fish a couple of days without shrimp before we found some elsewhere... So we kept at least one boat on a trailer to be portable. We launched from Bay City, Saint George Island, Indian pass, and presnell's in St. Joe Bay.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I was planning on going down next month but it looks like it may fall through as my fishing partner will probably be unable to go. We stayed at Bay City last year. Thought it was a little pricey for a fish camp but I love the place. I like to take my fishing trips on the " come home when I feel like it" plan but accommodations usually cut me short. Wish I could find a cheap place to stay.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I was planning on going down next month but it looks like it may fall through as my fishing partner will probably be unable to go. We stayed at Bay City last year. Thought it was a little pricey for a fish camp but I love the place. I like to take my fishing trips on the " come home when I feel like it" plan but accommodations usually cut me short. Wish I could find a cheap place to stay.
Have you tried Sportsmans Lodge in Eastpoint?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Looks like a good trip bud!! I'm ready to have a redfish pull on the end of my rod! 3 more weeks...

1eyefishing

For us, the wind made more of a difference in where we went than the shallow water did. If the wind was from the south we would launch on the back side (north side) of st. George Island. Northeast wind we would fish in the head of the bay at the river mouths. We fished Saint Vincent sound on the south wind and Port St Joe in east Wind. East wind in Apalachicola Bay means no place to hide. By my guess it is at least 7 or 8 nautical miles wide from the river mouth to the cut and lengthwise it is much longer than that. So we were basically just hiding from the wind, which blew at least 10 miles an hour maybe 15 every day. Windy days, we fished in the marsh. Although the further up the rivers from the bay the more fresh water fish we caught. The only place the shallow water really hampered us was trying to cross from one river mouth to the other in the head of the bay. Very shallow once you're outside of the river mouth and I could not find passage from one mouth to the other without going back up one river and back down the other river(s). Also, the east side of Saint Vincent sound behind picalene bar is very oyster laden and shallow. I have fished there twice now with the intention of heading into Big Bayou, but both times I caught so well at the picalene bar that no further searching was needed. It is pretty easy to get from the Indian pass boat ramp straight eastward towards the bar in deep water. After that, no guarantees.
The bay water is usually pretty brown as the whole Chattahoochee / Flint / Apalachicola River system dumps into the bay there. We were there the week after big storms up river and without keeping our eye on the depth finder, we could rarely tell the difference between eight foot water and eight inch water until we were rubbing the mud.
It's a very fishy place, but I think I much prefer the clearer waters to the east and especially west.
Good luck to you on your future trips...

1eyefishing

That last post was a response to ski bums question about where exactly I could take my boat. I guess he deleted his question...?

skibum

Thanks for the info... I deleted my post when I noticed you answered some questions already in this thread, but this was much more detailed.. TY

I've only had my G3 in the salt in the Tampa and St. Simons area.

1eyefishing

I love my G3, but it wants to grow up to be a 22 or 24 foot bay boat.:cool:

1eyefishing

Mind just barely fits in diagonally in two spaces. The wife BMW has to stay outside!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Mind just barely fits in diagonally in two spaces. The wife BMW has to stay outside!

Now my wife’s car sits outside and I LOVE that G3!