Be Careful

MudDucker

Staff member
Got a call late yesterday and my bud sunk his boat in the Mississippi. Thanks goodness he was close to shore and someone called the coast guard to pull them out of the river! I was supposed to go, but hurt my back. He tried to run in 40+ mph winds and 5' waves on the river. Those are NOT mudboat conditions!

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Got a call late yesterday and my bud sunk his boat in the Mississippi. Thanks goodness he was close to shore and someone called the coast guard to pull them out of the river! I was supposed to go, but hurt my back. He tried to run in 40+ mph winds and 5' waves on the river. Those are NOT mudboat conditions!

Bad call, glad he's okay.

turkeykirk

Wow. Glad he’s okay. Too cold to go swimming. :biggrin3:

GeorgiaBob

I've been on the Mighty Muddy a few times in mild weather and can attest to her nefarious nature. Even without wind, the current creates waves and rips. Then there are the snags. I would NOT want to be on that witch trying to fight the weather too! It is bad enough just trying to wet a line on a good day.

Glad your friend is OK.

Core Lokt

Why would he even go out in that??? Glad they are ok but you have to be tough when you are stupid. Glad your back was hurting.

BaldofPate

I'm sorry to hear about your friends mishap. I've had too many close calls from almost getting swamped by the wake of a shrimp boat on the coast to bad weather on interior lakes. It may sound paranoid, but I wear a life jacket in transit to any place I hunt now. It's just too dangerous not to. Glad they are ok.

MudDucker

Staff member
When it comes to killin' ducks, dat boy ain't got a lick of sense. Feel bad I wasn't there, because I'm about the only one that can throttle him. He said winds got up while they were hunting. I told him that his guardian angel probably got drunk yesterday and resigned.

rnelson5

When it comes to killin' ducks, dat boy ain't got a lick of sense. Feel bad I wasn't there, because I'm about the only one that can throttle him. He said winds got up while they were hunting. I told him that his guardian angel probably got drunk yesterday and resigned.
A near death experience will probably throttle him. That river kills people every year. It’s just not worth it.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I crossed the bridges when the water was far and wide out of the banks.
It made me realize that river was worse than any bay.
makes you think before you head out dont it?

MudDucker

Staff member
A near death experience will probably throttle him. That river kills people every year. It’s just not worth it.

Not based on my conversations with him since. He would just do a few things differently.

crow

I’ve hunted around and in the big river my whole life. The river don’t play. The river is running over flood stage, so it’s is fast with lots of debris right now. If you get a south wind blowing in its face, you better get off! I’ve seen 20 foot boats swamped by 4 to 6 foot waves! Those who know the river know better! The river don’t care!

MudDucker

Staff member
A 39' sank on the same day.

swamped on Miss.jpg