Be careful

FryGuy

Just wanted to post this as a reminder to be careful when your out and about this time of year. I ran into this guy yesterday. I wasn’t aware timber rattlers climbed. This one was 4’ off the ground and I never saw it until it hissed. Despite being 5’ long, it had no rattles.

Attachments

• B1E582B0-70C8-4F0F-940B-65F2D547D425.jpeg
    B1E582B0-70C8-4F0F-940B-65F2D547D425.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 496

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Just wanted to post this as a reminder to be careful when your out and about this time of year. I ran into this guy yesterday. I wasn’t aware timber rattlers climbed. This one was 4’ off the ground and I never saw it until it hissed. Despite being 5’ long, it had no rattles.
Trying to catch some rays,and possibly birds.

shdw633

That is my biggest concern with that snake, hard enough to watch for them on the ground let alone worrying about them as you are making your way through bushes and small trees.

srb

What encounters I have had with pit vipers ,

Rattlers all stayed close to the ground, Some rattled , Never aggressive..
Now the moccasin a different story ...Seen some very interesting things, Everyone was very aggressive!Always on the offense...
Same with the copperheads..

"Wayne D Davis said:
A moccasin will do the same thing. They like to get a few feet off the ground and drop down on their prey

Never heard that or experienced it. That`s a new one to me. "

I had property on the river for many years, I have had several drop off into the boat while posting the property, checking stands, killing hogs.......it sucks having a cotton mouth in the boat with you. The boat becomes their boat unless you are really good with a boat paddle.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
"Wayne D Davis said:
A moccasin will do the same thing. They like to get a few feet off the ground and drop down on their prey

Never heard that or experienced it. That`s a new one to me. "

I had property on the river for many years, I have had several drop off into the boat while posting the property, checking stands, killing hogs.......it sucks having a cotton mouth in the boat with you. The boat becomes their boat unless you are really good with a boat paddle.

Sure, they`ll lay on a limb, just as watersnakes do, but how many have you seen ambush prey from above by dropping on it? Or even oak snakes and the other various rat snakes?