Be careful

Wayne D Davis

Never heard that or experienced it. That`s a new one to me.
I've seen it on a little swamp several years ago. Was in Fayetteville city limits. The place after dark was scary..... snakes everywhere with many up about 3...4 ft perched on a limb waiting for dinner to walk under them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've seen it on a little swamp several years ago. Was in Fayetteville city limits. The place after dark was scary..... snakes everywhere with many up about 3...4 ft perched on a limb waiting for dinner to walk under them.

I`m not disputing what you saw, but that sounds more like watersnakes than cottonmouths.

Wayne D Davis

Sure, they`ll lay on a limb, just as watersnakes do, but how many have you seen ambush prey from above by dropping on it? Or even oak snakes and the other various rat snakes?
It seems that would be the reason behind being 3 ft up on a limb. Or maybe they scared of other snakes so they stake out a limb with a view. Not sure the reason just know they do it:huh:

sleepr71

Not a Rattle snake,but One of the coolest ambush tactics I’ve ever seen was in a Kaolin mine pond we were fishing. There was a BIG,FAT Mocassin(Big around as a Soft ball)that would ease up to a Bream bed that was close to the bank. The Mocassin would slide up (real slowly) between the Bream on that bed & deeper water.When the bream made a run for deeper water,that Mocassin would dive & strike. I saw him catch 2 good sized Bream in the hour,or so we were there.! We left it alone...letting nature work itself out?

Wayne D Davis

As a kid growing up... guessing mid to late 70's we use to fish Coopers Lake.... small lake close to the covered bridge in Smyrna/ Oakdale. Below the spillway we would ware out some bluegill. The place was covered up with moccasins. Occasionally while reeling in a fish it would get attacked by a snake. Crazy times as a youngster. I remember a vehicle ran off into the lake one time and when they recovered the body it had several snakes on it..... so the story was told

James12

Never heard that or experienced it. That`s a new one to me.

Had em fall in the boat many times out of mayhaw bushes while setting or checking Bush hooks on the river. Or while getting a bucket of mayhaw berries for jelly!

oldguy

Where have you been nick? I have had untold numbers of brown water snakes dive bomb into my canoe from willow trees in the Ogeechee in an attempt to eat me! It's the brown water snakes favorite tactic.
Yeah, and I'm bettin' those snakes on the river are either banded or brown water snakes and not cotton mouth water moccasins.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I think folks have misunderstood what I was saying. I haven`t ever seen any snake jump off a limb to ambush prey. I have seen more than a gracious plenty laying on limbs though. Just like the one I posted the picture of up above.

How many can ID that particular snake?

Stetson

Most any time outside the heart of summer, snakes sometimes get up in trees, brush or on a bed of wire grass in order to prevent contact with the cold ground or water that hasn't warmed up yet. I've seen this several times, even on into the winter, when most people wouldn't consider that there's still a good chance to encounter a snake.

Also, this time of year, the concrete pads around center pivot irrigation systems are magnets for snakes. The concrete soaks up the heat of the day, and the snakes will migrate towards them about sundown when the air temps start dropping, and the concrete is still holding heat.

I think folks have misunderstood what I was saying. I haven`t ever seen any snake jump off a limb to ambush prey. I have seen more than a gracious plenty laying on limbs though. Just like the one I posted the picture of up above.

How many can ID that particular snake?
I think most everyone knows what you mean. I have never seen a snake ambush from above either. We are just joking about them ambushing us when we are fishing.

onedude

Does anyone remember a thread a long time ago on here about rattlesnake being up in a ladder stand.
Doug
Jn. 3:16

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Found this guy while turkey hunting by a cypress head
When crossing deep waters, I usually hug the edges of trees to help keep my balance while crossing. Walked up on one laying like the one in your pic, except he was coiled up facing towards me. At first I didn't see him, but heard what I at first thought was a duck flying in on the water. It was a loud SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound. I even looked up at first expecting to see a duck, but quickly realized the sound was off. Then, out the corner of my right eye, I seen the cottonmouth's white mouth as he brought his head back and mouth open. He was coiled and ready to strike, and if he would have struck at me, he would've got me in the upper right leg or groin area. I was wearing hip boots that day, and using nearly every inch of them to cross the water. Not going to lie, that really shook me up. All I could do was slowly back off and ease on back to the hill from which I came. My legs were like jelly as I walked away. And I was a long ways back in there. I doubt I would have made it out if he had bit me. I won't forget that day. One of the scariest encounters I've ever had with a snake, or while outdoors period. Back then, there were no cell phones, and I didn't wear snake protection. I've seen so many of them jokers, and no matter how many I've seen, they still get my heart pumping good when I walk up on one. And there's no telling how many I've walked by and never knew they were there.

You should always look where you're walking out there, especially around water. They will get around water to catch frogs and other small critters.