Beach closed?

Thread starter #1

Flash

I see some beaches have closed. WHY? Every time I ever went people weren't on top of each other and were more than 6 ft apart. Same question for the Smokey Mtn National Park?

Thread starter #3

Flash

@redwards Could be, I guess I've been going to them old folks beaches for the last 10 yrs where there is no partying, no crowds etc....

It would depend on the beach. I grew up going to Fernandina in Florida and we drove on the beach. People were all spread apart. After joining the Navy I found out most beaches were blanket to blanket.

National Parks and campgrounds, I'm not sure. The Smokey Mtn National Park is the most popular in the nation or it used to be. Bathhouses maybe, overlooks, bear sightings?

Seems like they could use some discretion according to what beach or in the national parks close certain areas.

I think the Georgia State Parks are still open.

Supposedly, Jacksonville closed beaches because people were still congregating after the initial "social distancing" guidelines. I got the impression from statements by Jax Mayor Lenny that he was following the closures of Daytona and Pensacola beaches. The difference is important, Daytona and Pensacola area beaches were crowded with spring break kids who were definitely crowding together and being as rowdy and handsey as spring break kids always are. Jax Beach and Atlantic Beach have not been spring break college destinations recently (if ever) and were not crowded.

My opinion is that Lenny Curry (Jacksonville's GOP mayor) needed to be seen "doing something." Georgia beaches seem to be closing for similar unsound reasoning as most of the other politicians at local and state levels get to be seen "doing something." The US House and Senate politicians are not only being seen "doing something," they are very busy inflating an "emergency rescue" bill with billions of dollars in earmarks going to people who will help them get reelected.

Paleo

Pretty soon you're going to need a police pass just to go to the supermarket and they'll limit you to 2 visits a week. The silver lining of the PPE shortage is it will preclude the authorities from mandating it

Paleo

Somehow voluntary guidelines have morphed into law. I can see breaking up tight large groups but even the guidelines allow up to 10 people to gather.

Pretty soon you're going to need a police pass just to go to the supermarket and they'll limit you to 2 visits a week. The silver lining of the PPE shortage is it will preclude the authorities from mandating it
yeah... the same people who are turning prisoners loose because of the virus are threatening to lock you up if you don't follow their rules.

Figure that one out.

I think it was the only way to get the spring breakers to go home to be honest with you. Close the beachs, close the bars....might as well go home.

Orange Beach, AL and Gulf Shores are closed as well. Its not the beach itself. Too many people were driving down, eating in restaurants, and staying in condos and hotels that aren't being sanitized for COVID-19 between guests.

MudDucker

Staff member
Yep, had to run the kids off. Boy there are some ticked off older folks who didn't congregate and want the beaches reopened.

Milkman

Retired Moderator
Closed beaches for college and grade school spring break is going to mean bankruptcy for many businesses both at the beaches and along the routes to and from. This thing is going to be devastating.

MudDucker

Staff member
Closed beaches for college and grade school spring break is going to mean bankruptcy for many businesses both at the beaches and along the routes to and from. This thing is going to be devastating.
Absolutely, which is why the forgotten coast counties were resistant. Very very few cases in those three counties. I understand the state folks came and showed them how the tourist coming in could blow this up just like in NYC.