Bead color choices

Concrete Pete

Does anyone have a system for choosing bead colors?

Copper is my go to.

If the water is clear, I’ll try a more subdued color like coffee.

I recently tied some stuff with orange beads but haven’t fished them yet.

Just wondering if there’s a logic behind picking a certain bead color from the box on a given day.

almoore

I like a silver bead on a sunny day with clear water. I think fish expect to see light reflecting off the natural bugs. I like dark or eye catching (like your orange) on dark days / dark water.

Concrete Pete

I like a silver bead on a sunny day with clear water. I think fish expect to see light reflecting off the natural bugs. I like dark or eye catching (like your orange) on dark days / dark water.

Why do you think dark beads work on dark days / dark water?

I get why attractor colors like orange would work.

I know we can’t ask the fish, but I keep getting conflicting info.

almoore

I think dark beads stand out, like the idea of fishing a black stonefly in dark water. I think fish expect things to look dark on dark days / dark water. I remember a fishing writer saying you shouldn't insult trout by using a silver bead in those conditions because they know anything natural should not appear bright without sunlight shining through the water. Fresh stockers of course could be attracted to anything bright and bold.

Concrete Pete

I think dark beads stand out, like the idea of fishing a black stonefly in dark water. I think fish expect things to look dark on dark days / dark water. I remember a fishing writer saying you shouldn't insult trout by using a silver bead in those conditions because they know anything natural should not appear bright without sunlight shining through the water. Fresh stockers of course could be attracted to anything bright and bold.
Thanks that makes sense.

Robust Redhorse

Trout, especially wild trout, can be fickle creatures.

"USUALLY", I like subdued colored beads on bright days with clear water and brighter beads with either very dark colors or very light colors on dark days or when the water is tainted.

BUT, I've experienced times when trout want the opposite, or don't even care.

IME - keep changing flies until you find what they want and they will often keep wanting the same combination for a few hours before you need to start shopping for something else.

Concrete Pete

Trout, especially wild trout, can be fickle creatures.

"USUALLY", I like subdued colored beads on bright days with clear water and brighter beads with either very dark colors or very light colors on dark days or when the water is tainted.

BUT, I've experienced times when trout want the opposite, or don't even care.

IME - keep changing flies until you find what they want and they will often keep wanting the same combination for a few hours before you need to start shopping for something else.
Can you give an example of a 'subdued' color for clear water and an example of a brighter bead for dark days? I'm just not following what you mean when say 'brighter beads with either very dark colors or very light colors'. I'm having trouble imagining the actual colors.

Robust Redhorse

Subdued:
- black
- black nickel
- copper
- metallic brown
- metallic olive

Bright:
- gold
- silver
- fluorescent colors
- nickel
- white

Dark Body Material:
- black
- dark brown
- dark olive

Light Body material:
- white
- fluorescent colors
- tan
- light olive
- yellow
- orange
- cream

splatek

UAEC
I usually fish two flies. On sunny clear days one of those is a bright fly, silver bead. In dark water or overcast days they are both more subdued: black bead, nickel or copper bead
I almost always fish a black or brown fly unless it’s a dry fly when I’ll sometimes add some color.

In murky but not dark water I’ve found blue flies work, Barry the bed color or use none. Blue is a color spectrum that fish see well in so I prefer my blue flies to look “real” with respect to size and shape.

This set up works 100% on fifty percent of the days. On the other days I do like what was suggested and keep changing until I find what they’re interested in. And, mainly change my drift.

Concrete Pete

Subdued:
- black
- black nickel
- copper
- metallic brown
- metallic olive

Bright:
- gold
- silver
- fluorescent colors
- nickel
- white

Dark Body Material:
- black
- dark brown
- dark olive

Light Body material:
- white
- fluorescent colors
- tan
- light olive
- yellow
- orange
- cream
Thanks a ton for that. I’ll be experimenting for a year with that info.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Black nickel and copper are my go-tos, but I often catch a lot on gold and silver, too. Orange and pink work really good in some conditions, like dingy water.

Latest posts