Bear at Sprewel Bluff in Meriwether County

Professor

This was a surprise, but the persimmon pit packed trail of scat was unmistakable. Anyone else have experience with Meriwether bears?

How big? Sounds more like coyote scat.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
There have been several seen in meriwether and the surrounding area over the last few decades. They’re around just don’t normally set up house jn the area. Most of the time they’re young bears traveling through from the Macon area. Had one ran over right up the road from the house on I185 about 10-15 years ago.

A cop shot one in Manchester probably in the late 90’s early 2000’s.

We had one go from Macon to peach tree City in about 2-3 days and I think ended up getting caught in Fulton a few days later. That was in 1998/99

Joe Brandon

There have been several seen in meriwether and the surrounding area over the last few decades. They’re around just don’t normally set up house jn the area. Most of the time they’re young bears traveling through from the Macon area. Had one ran over right up the road from the house on I185 about 10-15 years ago.

A cop shot one in Manchester probably in the late 90’s early 2000’s.

We had one go from Macon to peach tree City in about 2-3 days and I think ended up getting caught in Fulton a few days later. That was in 1998/99
Buddy of mine saw one down in Hamilton back in the 90s. Man they travel. Native to Ga, at one time the whole state had a population of BB. Its their home range.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
We constantly have bears in north Atlanta, the Chattahoochee is a completely wooded corridor from the mountains to the city creating a bear highway. We've even had females with cubs hanging around there for quite some time. It is not unheard of for a bear to show up in any county of this state, especially along major rivers.

Meriwether Mike

A member of our lease claimed to have seen one last week on our lease in Meriwether county.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
In the club I use to be a member of in western heard county they had some trail camera pictures of a momma and some cubs from 2 years in a row and then didn't get anymore.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We see young bears regularly up here in Bartow/Cherokee. Neighbor had a dandy mature bear in her bird feeder last year.

simpleman30

They are like hogs. Bear are all over the state now
They are like hogs. Bear are all over the state now
True statement. Heard of one killed illegally in Effingham County 15+ years ago. Had a friend on my former deer-dog club in Liberty County send me pics of bear tracks on a club road, and it was undeniable it was a bear. Every few years, the local news in Savannah reports on a bear sighting in Fort Stewart.