bear/car collision bleckley county

fiddlinduke

48380692_2151544994897112_2393810545095475200_n.jpg

KDarsey

Twiggs County Sheriffs OfficeLike Page
17 hrs
Ok I have an update on the accident with the bear yesterday. The bear weighed in at 564 pounds. I got a few more photos also. The vehicle that hit it was a 2013 Nissan Sentra that was a total loss. Thank the lord no one was injured. Please be aware of your speeds because something like this could make for a bad day. Just for your knowledge, besides deer and bears we have worked accidents involving alligators, bobcats, and hogs.

Killer Kyle

That bear was an absolute giant. No doubt that he was king of his woods! No telling how old he was too.
Look how tiny his ears look on his head. That ol' boy has an impressive noggin no doubt.
I imagine that hitting that bear was like hitting a brick wall. Glad that nobody was hurt!

BBond

The bear was 7 years old.
It was previously part of a UGA project so it was a known aged animal.
In 2013 it was 235 pounds as a 2 year old which is huge.
He obviously didn’t slow down growing.

BBond

I’ve always told hunters the first thing to look at on a bear for size is how big or small the ears look. If the ears are tiny and a little on the edge of the head it’s a big bear. If the ears look big like Mickey Mouse it’s a small bear.

BBond

That does look like him. The bear was roadkilled on the Cochran Short route at mile marker 2 in Twiggs county. Not far from the Bleckley county line.

Cmcharles

May not be the same bear. I’ve gotten pics of him at our farms on 278 and on 112 roughly 3 miles apart as a crow flies.

BBond

These big males have been tracked to travel 10 miles like it’s nothing.
We had one travel 45 miles in one week.

Cmcharles

These big males have been tracked to travel 10 miles like it’s nothing.
We had one travel 45 miles in one week.

Very well could be him then, it’s a shame that’s how he met his end. I’m just glad we never stumbled into each other by accident in the dark.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Wowzer! Thats was a brute! Its a wonder no one was injured- a Sentra is not much bigger than that bear..