Bear density?

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Maybe I'm not asking the question the right way.

I could not find any "recent" info on population estimates for Chattahoochee Nat. forest. Did not see any WMA specific info either. Anybody know if this information has been published in the last couple of years? Where can I find it?

Buckman18

Im not aware of any data out there. Ive heard the estimated mountain population to be 3500, and have also heard 5000+. The bear mgmt book for this year says 3500. This is for the N GA population as a whole.

The population density is not consistent across the CNF. For example, Lake Russell WMA has a few bears, but not many folks are going to argue the density is as thick as Chattahoochee. Warwoman obviously has bears, but the density is not as thick as Cohutta.

Dawson Forest generally produces a fairly high harvest rate as of late, but is that bear density or much higher hunting pressure because that WMA actually still has deer. I grew up there, and would said its the pressure more than density, but there are areas on DF with more bear activity than others. Whoops, DF is state owned and not CNF.

The Southern Nantahala Wilderness has bears, plenty of them, but i would argue the bear density is not thicker than on Coopers Creek or Blue Ridge, from what ive seen. Could it be an impact from the NC dog hunters, or maybe the fact that a lot of that area is just up the ridge from more residents with a shorter tolerance of bears messing around there homes. Or both? Or neither?

These thoughts and a nickel will only get you a bad cup of coffee...

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Yeah,
What im really looking for, is how many bears did the biologist estimate Chatt. wma had pre hunt.
If my math is correct there are approx. 39 square miles on the WMA. The population estimate would be the best way to answer some of our questions about the impact of this hunt.

tree cutter 08

I would say it changes constantly. Theres alot of big woods on each side and they roam across all of it. Bears will be where the food is so where it's at you may have 20 bears in a square mile and zero in other places. I would say it would be really hard to put a number down and while some do it's liable not to be accurate. I've been in a few places this year that were covered in bears last year, there's none there worth hunting this year. Next year they maybe back. Other places are covered in bears. Buckmans bear gps data showed how much it moved and think he mentioned another collared bear that had made it to NC. We swap ga and nc bears regular I'd say.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I get what your saying tree cutter,

But I know they used to do the surveys by putting out sardines. If you had enough years of data it should give statistical average. If not for a particular WMA. At least the Natl. forest as a whole.

The main reason I'm asking. I don't have any idea.

Buckman18

I get what your saying tree cutter,

But I know they used to do the surveys by putting out sardines. If you had enough years of data it should give statistical average. If not for a particular WMA. At least the Natl. forest as a whole.

The main reason I'm asking. I don't have any idea.

This years bear mgmt plan shows some stats of the sardine traps, goes back to 1978 or 79 if i remember right. The trend is an obvious increase. But i dont remember the exact numbers, its been a day or 2 since ive read it. It is possible there is an online link, i have a hard copy. If i can find it ill try to post pics.

FWIW, Mr Green told my buddies bear dog group that they figured 15 bears would be harvested with the dogs? I wasnt part of that conversation though and am hearing it 2nd hand.

Im no bearologist, but I also didnt fall off the truck yesterday, but 50 bears being harvested in 9 days would lead me to think that the bear population needed some thinning. There is no where ive ever dog hunted with my family in NC where i have ever seen the concentration and volume of bear sign as I have on chattahoochee since i started bow hunting it for bears 3-4 yr ago.

On the other hand, part of me hopes the State didnt ruin it for the bow hunters going forward. There is a dedicated and loyal group of folks who bow hunt there. More balance with critters would be great, we shall see.

Last edited:

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Estimated NGA population is 3000. The state wishes to maintain or slightly reduce that number. All 3000 bears aren’t in the CNF.
If I remember correctly, that’s down from 5 years ago. It used to be estimated @ 3500

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
If the 3,000 is anywhere near accurate. They removed 2% of the population from a very small piece of the overall habitat.

Sounds bad. But, we don't need anymore theorizing.

I guess we will have to wait and see what shakes out with hunts later this year.

Heath

That’s the problem with the way they estimate population. Certain studies show under estimation and others show over estimation. Happens in every population in every state. If you’ll look closely, a lot of times you will see published numbers in different sources that contradict one another from the same area. We have to understand as a public that certain groups have agendas with research. You can often find article critiques by other research that points to researcher or sample bias. It’s extremely hard with bears because of the lack of research and data on them as compared to other mammals.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
That’s the problem with the way they estimate population. Certain studies show under estimation and others show over estimation. Happens in every population in every state. If you’ll look closely, a lot of times you will see published numbers in different sources that contradict one another from the same area. We have to understand as a public that certain groups have agendas with research. You can often find article critiques by other research that points to researcher or sample bias. It’s extremely hard with bears because of the lack of research and data on them as compared to other mammals.

I agree with Heath. It’s hard to tell accurately. The time of year that they do the sardine surveys bear are moving to find food. They’ll sit on found food til it’s gone. If there is a huge crop of a certain food and the sardines aren’t close or on travel routes to said foods. How would the bears hit em?.?. I recall a number of 60% hit rate of sardine bait stations being significant in some way.

That said, I believe Hammond. He’s the top dog when it comes to Ga Bears and has been for quite a while. He’s always been extremely helpful and insightful the few times I’ve communicated with him.