Bear Hunting Tactics

chehaw50

This year will be my first year for hunting bear. I have been reading past post for tips, which are full of helpful information. My question to all the seasoned bear hunters is what tactics do you all use? How many prefer stand hunting vs hunting from the ground for bear with a bow? I plan on bow hunting with my recurve this coming season. Also, how many of you have run into other bear hunters on public land? I have noticed on some WMA's that you have to sign in. Do you all go in at daylight or going in before daylight with running the risk of bumping bear? How likely is a bear to come back after being bumped out of a spot?

35 Whelen

Keep reading this forum, all of those questions have been addressed.

ddd-shooter

We have no bears! Too many hunters!
I think I’ll adopt that as my standard response since these threads pop up every week, lol

I bow hunt out of a stand.
Not many hunters, unless all these guys who think there’s a bear behind every tree actually come up this year. Lol
All wmas in the mtns are sign or check in for bears. Use the app.
If I’m deer hunting, before daylight. After bears, I’ll sneak in later. Bumping bears is highly specific. If it’s their favorite food, they’ll be back, unless there’s plenty of food, in which case they’re gone-unless they’re fairly used to human interaction.

chehaw50

Thanks for the information. This past season I have deer hunted mostly out of a tree saddle. I absolutely love the mobility of the saddle. I will probably take it and just still hunt my way in and determine weather to stay on the ground or climb. I just didn't know if one method was preferred over the other. My plan is to still/stalk hunt hogs with my recurve for practice, I figure if I can successfully stalk a hog, I can do the same with bear.

The most concern I have with early bow season is meat spoiling. I have read where some don't hunt deep because of running the risk of the meat spoiling. If I'm successful, I plan on packing meat out vs dragging.

ddd-shooter

Thanks for the information. This past season I have deer hunted mostly out of a tree saddle. I absolutely love the mobility of the saddle. I will probably take it and just still hunt my way in and determine weather to stay on the ground or climb. I just didn't know if one method was preferred over the other. My plan is to still/stalk hunt hogs with my recurve for practice, I figure if I can successfully stalk a hog, I can do the same with bear.

The most concern I have with early bow season is meat spoiling. I have read where some don't hunt deep because of running the risk of the meat spoiling. If I'm successful, I plan on packing meat out vs dragging.

If you're packing meat, there's really nothing to worry about. Get it in game bags quickly, hang it up, etc. You'll have hours until spoilage. If you are near a creek or spring, you can use that to cool the meat as well.
Just make sure you keep the hide and head for dnr to examine.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I have a couple of spots that are close enough that I tote a climber. I have a couple that are two far. Not sure it matters. If I found a specific spot / food source and was going to be on the ground. Id back of of it some because of the wind.

Stalking hogs is great fun and should be good practice. Keep in mind. Its fairly easy to stalk a "group" of hogs. They make a lot of noise. Its not as easy to stalk a single hog. Big moma hogs can be extra sharp too.

chehaw50

Do more hunters hunt a WMA vs National Forest? What drives hunters to hunt bear on a WMA vs National Forest? Is it because WMA's may have easier access? Is the bear population more on one than the other(WMA vs National Forrest)? I've been looking at the 2020-2021 season dates, and one particular WMA states Bear archery Sept. 12-18 and Oct.5-21. with other firearm dates as well. Were dates for 2020-2021 on National Forest Sept.12-Jan 10 for archery bear? If that is the case, with given more days to archery hunt on National Forest lands, why would someone choose a WMA over National Forest?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I'm just trying to do my homework. I am fortunate enough to have private land to hunt deer and hogs. I'm just looking for that new adventure and figured bear hunting would a awesome accomplishment if successful. I'm not looking for secret spots, just what drives you all to use the different tactics you do.

chrislibby88

If you're packing meat, there's really nothing to worry about. Get it in game bags quickly, hang it up, etc. You'll have hours until spoilage. If you are near a creek or spring, you can use that to cool the meat as well.
Just make sure you keep the hide and head for dnr to examine.
I think they are changing the whole hide/head thing to just the skull. Who doesn’t want to keep their bear skin though?

ddd-shooter

Do more hunters hunt a WMA vs National Forest? What drives hunters to hunt bear on a WMA vs National Forest? Is it because WMA's may have easier access? Is the bear population more on one than the other(WMA vs National Forrest)? I've been looking at the 2020-2021 season dates, and one particular WMA states Bear archery Sept. 12-18 and Oct.5-21. with other firearm dates as well. Were dates for 2020-2021 on National Forest Sept.12-Jan 10 for archery bear? If that is the case, with given more days to archery hunt on National Forest lands, why would someone choose a WMA over National Forest?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I'm just trying to do my homework. I am fortunate enough to have private land to hunt deer and hogs. I'm just looking for that new adventure and figured bear hunting would a awesome accomplishment if successful. I'm not looking for secret spots, just what drives you all to use the different tactics you do.

Wmas are limited entry, so there can be less pressure. Wmas also have food plots, whereas CNF doesn’t. Several wmas are open for most of archery, so it’s moot during archery anyway. Many WMAS are in the heart of contiguous blocks of uninterrupted national forest, which generally makes them prime bear habitat.
Most of us hunt both. Bears don’t know the difference anyway. I spend most of my time on CNF and if the weather hits good during a wma hunt, I’ll check out a few of my spots there.

The CNF closes to big game on Dec. 26th.

chrislibby88

A lot of us invest serious time into WMAs during deer season, because they do the check in hunts, so we learn the areas pretty well. I make note of old bear sign I see during the winter deer hunts and check them the next year. I’m just more familiar with one particular WMA vs national forest. There’s no real benefit to either one for bears though.

chrislibby88

Oh and Chestatee WMA has an early bear only rifle hunt at the end of Sept. I think one or two other WMAs have an early bear rifle hunt too. That’s the only plus to the WMA. The food plots are nice, I don’t hunt them, but they make an impact on animal movement on the ridges above them.

Last edited:

EyesUp83

I think they are changing the whole hide/head thing to just the skull. Who doesn’t want to keep their bear skin though?
I'm accepting bear hide gifts for whoever doesn't want theirs!