Bear hunting...while you still can.

pinky88

Don't be surprised if you see another dog hunt next year or even before. The DNR want the bear population the same as the deer. You can blame the lack of deer on anything you want to but until the DNR allowed doe days on Blue Ridge you could go on any managed hunt up there and see deer almost everywhere. I grew up hunting the Jones Creek side of Blue Ridge WMA with my Dad and the woods have not changed one bit since the late 70`s. There wasnt any clear cutting going on then and you could ride from the checking station to the top of winding stair road and see at least 10 healthy deer cross in front of you. Go back and check the numbers of doe killed with muzzle loaders the first 5 years and you will find that it was there intent to wipe them out. The same is going to happen with our bears. Then when the bears are gone on Chestatee and Chattahoochee you better plan on buying a mountain bike or buying a horse because the parking lots and trails are next for y`all. Good luck and enjoy it while you can. By the way I am not against dog hunting I have coon hunted all my life but the recreation has us out numbered

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Don't be surprised if you see another dog hunt next year or even before. The DNR want the bear population the same as the deer. You can blame the lack of deer on anything you want to but until the DNR allowed doe days on Blue Ridge you could go on any managed hunt up there and see deer almost everywhere. I grew up hunting the Jones Creek side of Blue Ridge WMA with my Dad and the woods have not changed one bit since the late 70`s. There wasnt any clear cutting going on then and you could ride from the checking station to the top of winding stair road and see at least 10 healthy deer cross in front of you. Go back and check the numbers of doe killed with muzzle loaders the first 5 years and you will find that it was there intent to wipe them out. The same is going to happen with our bears. Then when the bears are gone on Chestatee and Chattahoochee you better plan on buying a mountain bike or buying a horse because the parking lots and trails are next for y`all. Good luck and enjoy it while you can. By the way I am not against dog hunting I have coon hunted all my life but the recreation has us out numbered

I cut my teeth in that area as well. I went to hunt there a few years back. Completely taken over by MTN bikers..

CornStalker

This thread....

Let's all just call and write the DNR with our questions and comments, because there are waaaaay to many theories on why they conducted this dog hunt and how many bears there are at the WMA....

goshenmountainman

Its a two year program, there will be one next year to.