Bear hunts with dogs proposed for N GA WMAs

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Here is my take. Early season is the easiest time for bear killing. Dogs running in archery season will send everything packing; bears, deer, squirrels, coons, even the yuppies will run from a bear dog. And before anyone says bear dogs dont run deer- I understand that, but the deer dont.. The bears will go nocturnal just as many have said. If this happens you can count on the number of bears killed going down on those 2 wmas.

Until we have a shot to kill some of the larger sows- the population will increase. Its not complicated. It works the same as deer population. If you want more deer- shoot none or bucks only. If you want less deer shoot does.. Same goes for bears. Only thing is the larger female bears generally have cubs in the fall, making them off limits.. A spring/summer (May) season would allow us an opportunity to kill some large sows (directly impacting the population). Until that happens there will be no dent in the bears.

As other have said- do it in December and everyone is happy

I oppose the hunt(s)

Buckman18

What people are missing is that it’s 9 days only and only on 2 WMAs leaving thousands of acres of public land off limits to hunting bear with dogs.

It’s a trial hunt.

Just 9 days?

9 days is approximately a reduction of 22% of bow season. The early season bear gun hunt is also reduced by 22%, assuming the proposed changes stay as is. This is a very big deal if you hunt these WMA’s during the early season.

I normally support our great state on new thoughts and ideas, but this one needs to be scrapped.

j_seph

Are there not more boars than sows? So more boars killed less sows getting pregnant. I have always heard on the hogs shooting boars helps reduce more than shooting sows. Boar can get several sows pregnant, sows cannot get sows pregnant.

jbogg

What people are missing is that it’s 9 days only and only on 2 WMAs leaving thousands of acres of public land off limits to hunting bear with dogs.

It’s a trial hunt.[/QUOTE

It's only two WMAs for the time being. My issue is not with dog hunters, but with the timing of the hunt. Why not schedule the hunt later in the year when it will not negatively impact still hunters. A very small fraction of the hunting community use dogs to hunt bear, but their activity affects all hunters.

Contrary to what some have said, there is not a bear behind every tree, and hunting in the mountains is very difficult which is proven by the low hunter succes rates. The country is rough and thick with Mountain Laurel and Buck Berries and hunting the acorn drop is the only way to have a decent chance at getting on a bear in that country. Scheduling the dog hunt just two weeks into bow season will reduce still hunter success rates to numbers even lower than they are currently. Dog hunters don't have to rely on unpressured bears during the acorn drop so why schedule the hunt during this time.

jbogg

Are there not more boars than sows? So more boars killed less sows getting pregnant. I have always heard on the hogs shooting boars helps reduce more than shooting sows. Boar can get several sows pregnant, sows cannot get sows pregnant.

Bears and hogs have drastically different reproductive capabilities. A sow bear may have 2 -3 cubs every other year compared to a sow hog than can have 3 litters a year with 6 - 9 shoats per litter. A large boar bear will kill cubs to bring the sow into a heat cycle, so shooting mainly boar bear would likely cause an increase in overall bear numbers. On the other hand shooting mainly boar hogs would likely have very little impact on reducing hog populations since there would always be a enough boars to take care of the breeding duties.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.

Big males bears are known to kill cubs with the idea of bringing the female back into 'the mood'. Without the larger male bears the population can grow quickly.

A May/June (2-3 weeks) bear tag would give us the chance to whack some big sows. Those that would have just cast away their young, then they couldnt have cubs. That would directly create less bears..

Like everyone else- I want less bears. Dog hunters, as proposed, are not the missing piece of the equation. I am a bowhunter, the current proposal negatively impacts me. If the proposal was for another part of the year (even spring!) I wouldnt care a lick. In fact, a spring bear/dog could be REAL good!

Regarding the breeding of anything that has inneys and outeys. One male can and will 'connect' with numerous females. Shoot the female first if you want less of em.. Females flat out have more babies than males

ddd-shooter

I oppose the timing of the dog season. Makes no sense to ruin the archery season on these WMA’s. I agree with all the comments above. One that hasn’t been discussed is the problems that will occur with the hounds when a bear leads them onto private land.

I think a spring or summer season would be much more productive and would be more effective at lowering the population. If we MUST try a dog season, which will be a disaster, do it in December or January first.
Agree with this completely

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think most people are totally missing that fact.

Two 9 day hunts on only two areas and it’s the end of bow hunting as we know it.

I don’t think so.
No, it's the end of bear hunting as they know it. The bear dogging doesn't affect the deer much here, but it sure affects the behavior of the bears.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Here is my take. Early season is the easiest time for bear killing. Dogs running in archery season will send everything packing; bears, deer, squirrels, coons, even the yuppies will run from a bear dog. And before anyone says bear dogs dont run deer- I understand that, but the deer dont.. The bears will go nocturnal just as many have said. If this happens you can count on the number of bears killed going down on those 2 wmas.

Until we have a shot to kill some of the larger sows- the population will increase. Its not complicated. It works the same as deer population. If you want more deer- shoot none or bucks only. If you want less deer shoot does.. Same goes for bears. Only thing is the larger female bears generally have cubs in the fall, making them off limits.. A spring/summer (May) season would allow us an opportunity to kill some large sows (directly impacting the population). Until that happens there will be no dent in the bears.

As other have said- do it in December and everyone is happy

I oppose the hunt(s)

You Sir make better sense of the bear population and we need you to express your opinion as fact at one of these meetings or by letter or phone.

A spring or sow hunt makes the population decrease and that my friend is what we expect in north Georgia.
Seems perfect time to remove some of the tough restrictions on bears.
I’ll now oppose this early dog quota hunt also due to your argument making the best complete perfect sense on sows.
Less bear more deer period!
Sometimes thinking outside the box puts you right in the wheelhouse.

Rulo

As for you guys that hunt Cohutta, Blue Ridge, Coopers Creek... Don’t sit on the sidelines just because this does not affect you currently. My guess is that bear dog hunting will be expanded to other mountain WMAs in the near future. Please show up at the April 15 meeting and let your voices be heard.

It most certainly will. These public hearings are a formality that DNR goes through prior to passing whatever they feel like passing.

Hate to sound like Negative Nancy but they (DNR) do not listen to what the people have to say once they (DNR) get the idea out and to the point of holding public hearings on the matter.

They know best. Nuff said....

Buckman18

It most certainly will. These public hearings are a formality that DNR goes through prior to passing whatever they feel like passing.

Hate to sound like Negative Nancy but they (DNR) do not listen to what the people have to say once they (DNR) get the idea out and to the point of holding public hearings on the matter.

They know best. Nuff said....

This hasn’t been my experience. The folks I talk to at DNR are very knowledgeable and passionate, and always seek feedback. The dogging bears idea just needs to be shot in the noggin. I know what bear dogging is, I’ve done it for years in NC. It has its place in the world, but not here in N GA.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I agree the bears need to be thinned out and dogging is a way to try and assist doing that. That being said the timing of this hunt is crazy......... Wait till early spring or the middle of the summer and have at it. It does not need to happen in bow season, that's the best time to kill a bear if your so inclined to try.

lampern

The Georgia general assembly (politicians) have placed time restrictions on when the DNR may allow bears to be hunted.

Unlike many other states politicians have set restrictions on what the DNR can do in terms of hunting and fishing.