Bear kill 9-19-22 cohutta

trepej2

I shot this bear Monday evening 9/19. We just got to cohutta that Monday morning and spent all day scouting, but found most of the fresh bear sign within walking distance from where we camped. That evening we went hunting and I was set up on a ridge and around 6:30 pm this bear came strolling through. He gave me a 21 yard shot. I ended up getting up in the shoulder a little bit but still got half off arrow deep for penetration. When I shot him he spun around and broke the end of my arrow off and took off down the side of the mountain which turned out to be the steepest side and away from camp. After about 30 min I got down and started tracking and found he had ran about 50 yards down the mountain then It looked like he rolled another 20 feet or so down before this big pine tree stopped him. Me and a buddy ended up having to quarter him up right there which was a job since our feet were sliding out from under us the whole time and we were having to keep him against that tree. Once we got him quartered up we put the meat and hide/head in our packs and packed him out. We made it back to camp around 10-10:30 pm 20220919_193908.jpg20220919_194541.jpg20220925_081254.jpgMonday evening.

Last edited:

Swampdogg

I shot this bear Monday evening 9/19. We just got to cohutta that Monday morning and spent all day scouting, but found most of the fresh bear sign within walking distance from where we camped. That evening we went hunting and I was set up on a ridge and around 6:30 pm this bear came strolling through. He gave me a 21 yard shot. I ended up getting up in the shoulder a little bit but still got half off arrow deep for penetration. When I shot him he spun around and broke the end of my arrow off and took off down the side of the mountain which turned out to be the steepest side and away from camp. After about 30 min I got down and started tracking and found he had ran about 50 yards down the mountain then It looked like he rolled another 20 feet or so down before this big pine tree stopped him. Me and a buddy ended up having to quarter him up right there which was a job since our feet were sliding out from under us the whole time and we were having to keep him against that tree. Once we got him quartered up we put the meat and hide/head in our packs and packed him out. We made it back to camp around 10-10:30 pm View attachment 1179016View attachment 1179017View attachment 1179019Monday evening.
How much fat you get off that bigun?

Swampdogg

I will have to look into all what you can use it for. Honestly I had never heats of anyone saving the fat until this past year and seems like I'm seeing a lot of people do that.
Way back in the day that stuff was literal money, you can cook with it , use it on leather, of make the best cracklings around. If anybody don’t want their bear fat I’ll gladly come pick up.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Bear oil makes a great lube for black powder rifles I’ve been told. I’d like to have a jar to use in my flintlocks. Hopefully next year I’ll be able to hunt and harvest one.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It’s good to be able to read these older threads again. Lots of info in some of them.