Bear processor around Bartow County?

GAbuckhunter88

So I picked up a new farm in Cartersville and it apparently has quite the population of bears with some being quite large. Does anyone have a recommendation on a processor who does bears around Bartow County or with reasonable distance? Any tips for cleaning/prepping the meat to take to the processor? I quarters all of my deer in the field and put them on ice so I am assuming I can do the same with the bear?

ddd-shooter

Same as a deer. You’ll want to get the fat off ASAP. It’s really good to save and render also.
Also, if you want a rug, you’ll want to cut up the underside of the limbs.
Check out the other threads for links to YouTube. Lots of vids there

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I know of a garage door taxidermist around Canton NOT to use.
Will not discuss on the open forum.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
So I picked up a new farm in Cartersville and it apparently has quite the population of bears with some being quite large. Does anyone have a recommendation on a processor who does bears around Bartow County or with reasonable distance? Any tips for cleaning/prepping the meat to take to the processor? I quarters all of my deer in the field and put them on ice so I am assuming I can do the same with the bear?

Don’t you love it when you get replies with nothing close to what you asked for? :bounce: McClure’s in Blairsville takes bears but second to deer so you have to call first. I know it’s not all that close to you but it’s the only one I know of.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Don’t you love it when you get replies with nothing close to what you asked for? :bounce: McClure’s in Blairsville takes bears but second to deer so you have to call first. I know it’s not all that close to you but it’s the only one I know of.
So you don't know of a bear processor in Bartow or reasonably close either? ::ke: :bounce:

AntlerDaddy

So you don't know of a bear processor in Bartow or reasonably close either? ::ke::bounce:
Not that many bears are taken in Bartow County, so I imagine beat processor is low demand.

i hope you get one. There were at least two bears taken on Pine Log last year.

if you decide to give up your spot, let me know. I’d love to have private access close by.

ryanh487

Call your local findley's butcher shop and ask. They do a phenomenal job on deer (most be quartered out in a cooler) and they may be up to tackling a bear.

First bear I killed I made jerky out of it, yep! Jerky! I have no idea it had to be cooked properly to avoid trichinosis, jerky was great and nobody got sick.

I deep fried the backstrap just like deer and grilled steaks from hams.