Bear Trip

Curvebow05

So after finding success on some Southeastern Public Land for deer, I have gotten an itch to go chase bears. I've also gotten the itch to visit the mountains since sand can only get in so many cracks before it gets old. I'm torn between making it almost impossible (taking the recurve) and just taking the rifle as I haven't taken a bear before.
I'm not afraid of walking or packing out an animal, and am in decent shape as far as getting around the hunting woods. What would be the best overall experience to see bears and potentially harvest one while enjoying some beautiful mountain lands?

Curvebow05

Why's it too late? The season doesn't end until Jan 13. Plus it's a good excuse to get up in the mountains and play around. I've tagged out on bucks and have two does in the freezer so I'm focusing on getting the wife a deer or two and other game animals for me with another doe or two in the process.

Killer Kyle

Why's it too late? The season doesn't end until Jan 13. Plus it's a good excuse to get up in the mountains and play around. I've tagged out on bucks and have two does in the freezer so I'm focusing on getting the wife a deer or two and other game animals for me with another doe or two in the process.

Bear movement slows drastically this time of year to the point that sightings usually become very very scarce until the spring warm-up. All the WMA bears have had the heat put on them this year. Tree Cutter was trying to convey that your chances are extremely thin at this point in the season. But it would at least be a good opportunity to get some scouting in for next year.

Take a few minutes and look at the threads in this forum from this year. I think you will easily see which WMA has a notoriously high bear population.

Curvebow05

Bear movement slows drastically this time of year to the point that sightings usually become very very scarce until the spring warm-up. All the WMA bears have had the heat put on them this year. Tree Cutter was trying to convey that your chances are extremely thin at this point in the season. But it would at least be a good opportunity to get some scouting in for next year.

Take a few minutes and look at the threads in this forum from this year. I think you will easily see which WMA has a notoriously high bear population.

Makes sense, I like a good explanation. I didn't realize the movement slowed down so much. The eastern NC bears I was around before pretty much never stopped doing bear stuff.

ddd-shooter

Makes sense, I like a good explanation. I didn't realize the movement slowed down so much. The eastern NC bears I was around before pretty much never stopped doing bear stuff.
Once the acorns are gone, there's not much left for a bear to do in the dead of winter up here. It's cold. Real cold. They mostly just lay up after November. They might cruise through a field on a warm day and browse, but that's extremely rare after November.
That said, if you're going to hunt anyway, focus on south facing(read, sunny) ridges in thick stuff not too far from traditional food sources.
Look for white oak stands and travel routes for next year. Plan to get up here in October- the earlier the better.

ripplerider

They're definitely still active. There's a killer video making the rounds today in Union county of a nice bear dragging an apparently road-killed deer up a steep slope. Was took a couple of days ago. That tells me theyre real hungry for him to grab that deer off the side of the road in broad daylight.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
They're definitely still active. There's a killer video making the rounds today in Union county of a nice bear dragging an apparently road-killed deer up a steep slope. Was took a couple of days ago. That tells me theyre real hungry for him to grab that deer off the side of the road in broad daylight.

Where might one see a copy of this video?

kinross

Im sick of bloody bears. I cant seem to keep the deer on my property in Gilmer. Give me pigs any time, at least you can trap them and shoot them . I guess my feeding program just went down the crapper

Attachments

• bear.png
    bear.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 54

Curvebow05

Im sick of bloody bears. I cant seem to keep the deer on my property in Gilmer. Give me pigs any time, at least you can trap them and shoot them . I guess my feeding program just went down the crapper
Sounds like you have a problem, any of them bothering you not have cubs? I assume that's what's in the pic?

Christian hughey

So after finding success on some Southeastern Public Land for deer, I have gotten an itch to go chase bears. I've also gotten the itch to visit the mountains since sand can only get in so many cracks before it gets old. I'm torn between making it almost impossible (taking the recurve) and just taking the rifle as I haven't taken a bear before.
I'm not afraid of walking or packing out an animal, and am in decent shape as far as getting around the hunting woods. What would be the best overall experience to see bears and potentially harvest one while enjoying some beautiful mountain lands?
My experience and other guys on here will probably tell you early season take the recurve. When you do see them seems like the dang things come right up to you. Every bear this year has been within 20 yards, seen a couple good Indian longbow pics this year. Congrats to those guys I have a hard enough time with a sight. Also saw good footage of one speared on private land that's pretty cool. Just not for me !

splatek

UAEC
It was my understanding that while the season goes until the 13th, all the WMA hunts are over and the CNF hunting period ended Decmeber 28, or there about. So, like others have mentioned them slowing down, also, unless you have access to private land you aren't able to get on one, unless (totally possible) i read the regulations incorrectly.

And... I think I might have read them incorrectly. I think that date of the 28th is for deer only... Double check.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

It was my understanding that while the season goes until the 13th, all the WMA hunts are over and the CNF hunting period ended Decmeber 28, or there about. So, like others have mentioned them slowing down, also, unless you have access to private land you aren't able to get on one, unless (totally possible) i read the regulations incorrectly.

And... I think I might have read them incorrectly. I think that date of the 28th is for deer only... Double check.

■ CHATTAHOOCHEE NATIONAL FOREST

BEAR

ARCHERY » Sept. 8-Oct. 12
PRIMITIVE » Oct. 13-19
FIREARMS » Oct. 20-Dec. 26