Beaver ponds and trout.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Years ago, back in the mid to late 80s as a college and then grad. student I used to fly fish a good bit in northeast GA where I always looked for native brook trout. I had a few spots on public land where I would find them and never saw another fisherman...and they were a relatively short walk from a popular river that had a rather large put and take hatchery fishery. One thing my honey holes had in common were that they were small streams that had beaver ponds, and it was often at the head of those beaver ponds, and in them, where I would catch the most brook trout. That same pattern has served me well when I would go out west and fish the blue line streams that I like to fish. Not only do the western beaver ponds produce a lot of (out there) invasive brook trout, they produce native cutthroats. Fast forward a few decades and I went to find my native brook trout in my old stomping grounds in Rabun County and pretty much all signs of beaver had disappeared from my stream, and with them so had the number of brook trout that were replaced in large part by rainbow trout. I was told by some people that lived in that area that fishermen destroyed those beaver dams apparently in the thought that they impeded trout movement on the stream and, as one old gentleman told me "trout can't live in those swamps". I do not know why, but for whatever reason people seem to think that beaver are bad for trout. Brook trout evolved with beaver, and if the historical accounts are to be believed, it was a rare stretch of water that did not have beaver dams, ponds and swamps on them in GA when Columbus sailed the sea so blue. Beavers are great for water storage, both on the surface and in the ground, and this stored water is released slowly during periods of drought and, at least according to studies, has very little negative impact on water temperature and often has a very positive impact by lowering the water temperature with the release of cooler ground water in the stream bed. I often wondered why T. U. does not encourage beaver restoration when instead I see them often advocating removing beaver dams. Hopefully some day attitudes will change.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Mixed story on beaver but modern general popular wisdom is beaver bad. However I'll be the first to say in the right situation beaver are an asset. And I'm a professional beaver trapper.
My very first job out of Highschool back in the late 70s was trapping beaver for F&W Forestry. I do not even know how many beaver I have trapped in my life, but I have become a hard core advocate for them now. I wish GA would allow for the relocation of beaver, I have some land that I would love to have beaver take up residence on, but alas, unless the law has been changed recently, which I doubt, as you know it is illegal to transplant them in GA. At least out west some states are starting to realize the benefits they provide and are using them to mitigate incised streams and enhance salmon habitat...and also for water storage.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Mixed story on beaver but modern general popular wisdom is beaver bad. However I'll be the first to say in the right situation beaver are an asset. And I'm a professional beaver trapper.
What’s the best way to trap them. ?

Depends.

My go to is footholds on drowners but 330s still have a place. I like cages as most have never seen one. And snares are indispensable in the timbered swamps.

Basically location calls out the tool.

I tend to avoid castor based lures as they get overused by others. Besides castor is best used when they are in the mood.
Blind sets in channels, pull outs are my bread and butter. Food based lures in my baited sets.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Depends.

My go to is footholds on drowners but 330s still have a place. I like cages as most have never seen one. And snares are indispensable in the timbered swamps.

Basically location calls out the tool.
Guess I could google what they are. Never seen one in operation!

That's an 8' 1/2" fiberglass tree stake. Trap attached to a washer lock, stop bolted on the bottom with another at the top with welded on rings to take 1/2" trap stakes. Stops are 1/2" shaft collars.
Bottom gets shoved into the mud in thigh deep water. Top bowed over and staked solid at the water line. Trap is a large foothold #3 or larger, in this case a CDR. Stomp in a bed one cubit back from waterline or point where beaver will set down it's front feet. Small sharp sticks can be poked in the mud at this point as breasting sticks. Trap bed should be one handspan left or right centerline of approach. You're targeting the big back foot and beaver have wide back ends.
You can adjust this for a front foot catch but the bone structure of the back makes for a better hold while the front is more fragile and prone to ring offs.
Lure can be a natural pullout or crossover, fake one you construct and slick up for straight visual. I like to add a few cut and peeled sticks of whatever they are eating at the moment. When the time is right a mudpie is a good visual as well. If lured a few drops of castor or sac oil is a nice touch. If using food based I'll dip a peeled stick into Dobbins woodchipper.

Last edited:
Oh almost forgot. Trap levers positioned fore and aft. You want that foot coming in between the jaws not over a jaw. The bed needs to be solid with an outside ridge on the pond side to avoid having the trap flipped. The foot needs to come over then down.

Lukikus2

I also believe the beavers do a lot more good than bad .

Stewards of the streams. They create a eco system of their own. Some of the best hunting in my earlier years was because of the water sheds they created. They always got the bad wrap for drying up creeks downstream or diverting water elsewhere. (Where men didn't want it to go). So then began the war.

Lukikus2

Sorry. Down a few miles below Tim Ford dam on the Flint River was a beaver dam in a oxbow that was good for brown trout all summer long.