Beaver Swamp

Todd E

Well, we managed to get together today and head to the swamp. Scouting had shown that the geese were coming in pretty regular. We only saw one woodie. We had first group of geese(15) come in. Not seeing what they liked.. they left. Then a loner passed that somehow dodged every ounce of shot hailed at it. Well, we waited and waited....thinking it was over sludged out and headed towards truck. As usual, here comes the typical big group of geese. We can only watch from the hill as about 25 geese land where we just left. Oh well, there's always next time and you can bet we won't leave til lunchtime :bounce:

Attachments

• Swamp.JPG
    Swamp.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 232

Todd E

We planted 50lbs of rice in this one and another one. The geese decimated this one and the other was washed away due to rainfall breaking several dams.

JByrd15

GONetwork Member
We also have a beaver pond we hunt on in Coweta Co., and I was wondering how you planted the rice in your swamp. Do u just throw it out there for them in the water, or do you have to plant it a certain way??

Todd E

Goldentrout and I teamed up to do these two spots. We walked the dam and shallow side areas back in the late summer(August, I believe). We dropped the seed off into from 8in deep to 2in deep water and in any gooey mud. We had been told that deer love it, so keep that in mind. ;) What seed got in deep water,......we didn't get results out of. I think one thing that threw us off was an unexpected large amount of rainfall. It busted the dams at the other spot and caused this one to fill up with more water since the beavers increased the dam height.

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

I tried rice for the second time this year in my beaver swamps.........threw out 200 pounds in assorted water levels.........either none of it came up, or the deer whacked it as soon as it did...........same thing happened the first time.......... ::huh: :(