Beaver Trap Size?

fatback

Would a MB 550 offset be big enough to use in a drowning/castor mound set for beaver or do you need a 750?

4x4

I use Duke #4's and 330 Conibears. If your targeting the front foot, your MB550's should work. I would use a larger foothold trap if trying to get them by the back foot.

ldhfff

I've caught them in Victor #3 dls and they work great in drowners. As stated 550's on front foot would work but bigger is better when back foot is considered.

fatback

I’m planning on making a couple of castor mound sets on a pond where they are causing some damage. If I set close enough to the mound I’m guessing that it would predominantly be front foot catches, correct? I’m planning on using a couple of cinder blocks for the other end of the drowning cable. I can drive the truck right up to where I went to set so carrying them in isn’t an issues. Would 2 cinder blocks be enough to hold one down to drown it quickly? This is my first attempt at water trapping. I ordered the cables and T bar stakes and some lure today. I’ll update when I get everything set. Thanks for the input. Any advise is appreciated.

Doug B.

Closer would target the front foot and that's what I would do too,but you never know, they could still step over it and put the back foot in the trap. I would turn the trap with the levers perpendicular to the bank.
Two cinder blocks should be heavy enough to keep them down.

oldguy

Just me but one block should be enough. This is kinda' like that "use enough gun discussion" a #550 MIGHT work but a #750 WILL work. Heck I caught one in a #1.5 set for mink one time. Don't mean a #1.5 is a good beaver trap. I can tell you one thing you DON'T want and that's an educated beaver - less you want to pull all your hair out! Do it right and catch him the first time.
Might look at using snares. You can buy a dozen snares for less than one MB 750!
Save the castors. Real easy and no trouble to keep.Carefully pull them out. Scrape off anything red. Drop in a clean jar (I use a clean plastic p-nut butter jar). Add a little water and they will last indefinitely. No more buying lure.

fatback

I’ve got three 750s on the way. Should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully I will get them set before the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again fellas for the input. This is my first time trying to catch these critters and I’m looking forward to the challenge. I’ll keep everybody posted.

mossyoakpro

I’ve got three 750s on the way. Should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully I will get them set before the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again fellas for the input. This is my first time trying to catch these critters and I’m looking forward to the challenge. I’ll keep everybody posted.

Please give a heads up on setting that beast! I have looked at them and I cannot figure out how it works by looking at pictures. Thanks!!

Koltan

Just my opinion. Snares are cheap, easy to make and you can put them out in no time. Anywhere you can catch one in foothold. You could probably do it with a snare as well. Snares on crossovers or or castor mounds are deadly.

fatback

Never snared so I might look into that as well. Got the 750s in today. Gonna get them ready to go and get them set tomorrow. Also have to 330 conibears ready to go. If I don’t catch them it won’t be for lack of trying. The 750 look like I can set them by stepping on the leavers like I do with my 550.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You can put out about a dozen snares for the same amount of effort it takes to make a foot hold beaver set

Doug B.

Never snared so I might look into that as well. Got the 750s in today. Gonna get them ready to go and get them set tomorrow. Also have to 330 conibears ready to go. If I don’t catch them it won’t be for lack of trying. The 750 look like I can set them by stepping on the leavers like I do with my 550.
I caught my first one in a snare this morning!

fatback

Got two 330 conibears set and three MB 750s set. 3 of the 750s where well defined trails enter the pond and 1 on a castor mound set I made. The 2 conibears are on the other end of the trails coming out of the first pond and heading into the other. I’m pretty excited to see how things look in the morning. Having never water trapped is it like land sets and the longer they are in the better or is there a good chance of a catch the first night if I’ve done my part correctly? Either way I’ll update tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice and input fellas.

Doug B.

Got two 330 conibears set and three MB 750s set. 3 of the 750s where well defined trails enter the pond and 1 on a castor mound set I made. The 2 conibears are on the other end of the trails coming out of the first pond and heading into the other. I’m pretty excited to see how things look in the morning. Having never water trapped is it like land sets and the longer they are in the better or is there a good chance of a catch the first night if I’ve done my part correctly? Either way I’ll update tomorrow. Thanks again for the advice and input fellas.
Good luck! I'm anxious to see what you have in the morning. It's like any other animal, once you catch one the others come a little easier it seems. I can't wait to see pictures!!!