Beaver Trapping

kmaxwell3

Got permission to trap a Beaver swamp by my house. Been trapping since I was a kid but never really tried it. Went today and scouted it with two of my kids. Lots of fresh sign. Found there house and alot of places they come in and out the water with trails. I know these beavers have never been trapped and have been there for years. So what's my best options? I have two 330's and three #3 steel traps. Found this deer skull in middle of swamp also while scouting.

Attachments

• 20201220_143459.jpg
    20201220_143459.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 70

willie1971

cool find. I like conibears on slides and crossovers, and footholds at dam breaks on drowners. I'm no expert but these methods have worked well for me. good luck

Doug B.

Connibears work, but I'm not a big fan of them. Set them up on den entrances and like willie said on slides and dam crossovers. Once you catch a couple in them any beaver left will get trap shy pretty quick. I like footholds on drowners. Don't use any kind of bait or lure until the end when you only have a couple of beavers left to catch. I have been catching river beavers for the last couple of weeks. There are no dams on this river. I set one slide that has been very well used with a MB 750 on a drowning rod. I had number 6 there this morning. I have yet to use any bait or lure.

A beavers back foot is pretty big. I have had them pull out of a #3 on a back foot catch. If you can set them up for a front foot catch you can hold them in a #3 easy enough. Good luck! Nice deadhead!

willie1971

I've had zero luck with conibears at dam breaks because the beaver seems to set them off with branches while repairing the dam. The beaver taught me that lesson. Some nuisance trappers will trap exclusively with footholds for reason like Doug mentioned.

They are a cool and useful animal, but don't bring in much money. One buyer I know is offering $6 for green skinned, large hides. Last year he was paying $10.

Ol' Gobblero

Keep the traps away from the hut if at all possible. That is the quickest way to make them trap shy. The best way to use a 330 is to totally submerge it with a dive stick on each side of the trap, in a channel. The beavers are bound to have a channel or creek they are traveling. IMHO a #3 is too small for beavers. Beavers have a large back foot. Too big for a #3. If you have to use them, do not stake them like a normal leghold. Run them on cable or rod drowners in enough water to drown the beaver. Try not to use castor or lure if possible. You can use the sac oil from the first one you catch. That always seems to work well for me.

kmaxwell3

Keep the traps away from the hut if at all possible. That is the quickest way to make them trap shy. The best way to use a 330 is to totally submerge it with a dive stick on each side of the trap, in a channel. The beavers are bound to have a channel or creek they are traveling. IMHO a #3 is too small for beavers. Beavers have a large back foot. Too big for a #3. If you have to use them, do not stake them like a normal leghold. Run them on cable or rod drowners in enough water to drown the beaver. Try not to use castor or lure if possible. You can use the sac oil from the first one you catch. That always seems to work well for me.

Thank you for the info. I found a channel that went from the house to a big hole in the bank. It had muddy water in it like they have been traveling in it.
It was in about 2 to 3 feet of water. How deep should I put the trap from the bottom?

willie1971

I tried a few #3 dogless traps for beaver and they worked. not ideal. But I just got a couple 650s that I'm going to set tomorrow. cant wait to see how they do

buckpasser

I prefer conibears and snares

My limited conibear use this year made me look like a trapping pro in my bosses eyes. That thing can’t stay set without some poor critter snapped in it. I struck out last year with the snares though. Had a couple beaver/otter close calls and a bobcat even came dangerously close to death on a beaver slide right at the water...

buckpasser

I tried a few #3 dogless traps for beaver and they worked. not ideal. But I just got a couple 650s that I'm going to set tomorrow. cant wait to see how they do

I built a drowning rig and used a Duke 3. Found it near the bottom tripped and empty. Caught a beaver shortly thereafter in the conibear with a little hide missing on the back foot. I plan to upsize for this year.

Doug B.

I prefer conibears and snares
A lot of people do. And they work great! I have caught beaver in both conibears and snares. Especially where it's to shallow for a drowning rig. They are definitely a great tool to have on the line.