Beginner’s Guide to Hunting Public Land

biggdogg

Is stand or blind hunting the recommended method for deer, or is stalking ok? I was thinking about trying my hand at hunting again next season, but hate to join a club to only go once or twice.

I personally wouldn't advise stalk hunting on public land. Especially on a WMA quota hunt. You are asking for a conflict at the very least. You can possibly get away with it in late season on National Forest, but again, I personally wouldn't advise it.

oldfatbubba

I personally wouldn't advise stalk hunting on public land. Especially on a WMA quota hunt. You are asking for a conflict at the very least. You can possibly get away with it in late season on National Forest, but again, I personally wouldn't advise it.

Other exceptions are Sapelo & Ossabaw Islands. There, hunters typically stalk around their assigned areas of 10 to 20 acres. Danger on the ground comes from gators... and wild cattle on Sapelo...

Hammockben1

Is stand or blind hunting the recommended method for deer, or is stalking ok? I was thinking about trying my hand at hunting again next season, but hate to join a club to only go once or twice.
Well the problem with stalking is walking up on ppl now I have some wma i stalk pigs on due to small tracts like one of them is boar access only but ifi see other boats I'll set up my climber but I guess depends if you run up on someone

Meriwether Mike

Good info. Needs to be stuck at the top.

Wayne D Davis

Very good post. Common curiosity is the best advice. I hunt wma only. I've studied my area's to the point i can get to them or from multiple access points without walking by anyone. Only still hunt my way to or from where I'm hunting. If someone's in my spot I ALWAYS go to plan B, or C.... just relocate

jbogg

Glad this was resurrected. Should definitely be a Sticky if it’s not already. The only clarification I would add is that game carts/bikes or any other wheeled devices are prohibited in Wilderness areas. Good stuff C. Killmaster.

Buckshot88

Can you go scouting on a WMA anytime?

Buckshot88

I've been hunting very small tracts of land for a long time now. I'm thinking WMA's would be a good way to mix things up a little.

35 Whelen

Can you go scouting on a WMA anytime?

WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREAS

Land Access: Any person, age 16 and older, entering any WMA or PFA must possess a valid license to hunt or fish or a Lands Pass (exclusions apply). Visit www.georgiawildlife.com/LandAccess for a list of all public properties and access requirements. Areas that require a valid license to hunt or fish or a Lands Pass are marked with the posting of a sign at the site or area entrance. A Lands Pass and all hunting and fishing licenses may be purchased at gooutdoorsgeorgia.com, by calling 1-800-366-2661, or through license vendors. Any individual(s) or organization(s) desiring to sponsor or conduct an event, activity, or series of events or activities involving more than eight individuals on a WMA or PFA may be required to obtain a “Right of Entry” agreement (ROEA) from the Department. Contact the respective Game Management office (see page 4) for more details.

Buckshot88

From what I've researched you can scout any time as long as you follow all other regulations. I think tomorrow I'm gonna head to River Bend and go on a walk-about.

Last edited:

4ssss

I'm glad I found this thread. Being a new hunter in Ga. my head was spinning going through the season and reg book, but this post made sense of what I was reading instead of some sense reading on my own.