Beginner Kayak, Where to try?

WadeW

The family is finally ready to purchase some kayaks but we are limited on knowledge. I've been looking for a couple years at some Ascend models mainly due to price and weight capacity but the weight limit isn't as big of a factor anymore. My question is are there any outfitters or rental companies that have a wide variety of boats to try out or are they all mainly brand specific? If we go out and rent a different model every month we'll end up spending more than just purchasing something. My daughter just bought a Perception Swifty mainly for the looks but I'd prefer to get one for my wife and I with a little more education.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Choosing a kayak is much like posting for opinions of a self defense caliber, hard to stay on target of discussion.

Since each can only tell our own story, here's mine. Decided to get our high school son a kayak. Each of our other kids each had one "thing" that cost a bit in our frugal family. Decided to take a day trip to Terrapin Outdoor Center in Piedmont, AL. Great big barn full of all kinds of boats, so many, that they are stacked on end.

I had studied and chosen an Old Town sit-in, good reviews, decent entry level price. So we get there, and the owner asks the right questions...Where do you plan to paddle? Who is going to use it? What experience does the paddler have?

After an honest, realistic discussion, he ended up showing us a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 sit-on-top. Rotomolded construction, self bailing, nicely outfitted with adjustable seat, slidetracks, two storage hatches, extra handles/storage straps the works. The successful argument was by the time you get the store entry level boat, then turn around and try to upgrade seat/accessories, you exceed the cost of the Tarpon. We started them on a local college lake, then paddled at Terrapin Creek near Piedmont AL, Cedar Creek, Cartecay, Hiwassee River, just about anywhere we could find suitable water. We've run the Tarpon boats in Class III whitewater, but it's a careful challenge, as they really aren't advertised for that.

So, now we have 4 Wilderness boats after a few years, a converted cargo trailer for use as a camper, boat, and mountain bike hauler. If I had to do it again, I'd probably follow the same path. We've only had to replace one carry handle and a couple bungee straps due to deterioration in the last 8 years or so.
D6NEHY8W4AEH_LA

Perception and Wilderness Systems are owned by the same parent company. Good boats. Academy Sports has them under the Magellen Outdoors brand, and you can sometimes score a deal there. I highly recommend a good sit on top for stability, self bailing, and paddler confidence. The number of times we've cruised on by while sit in boaters are dragging theirs to the side to empty gallons of water after being swamped is too numerous to mention.

We have felt like we should be consultants, so many people see how easily our kids handled the Tarpons in rough water, the wanted to know what kind, and where did we get them.

Perception Pescador 10.0 at Academy

Tarpon 100

Smaller kids, this is a winner, great for the creeks and even some wilder water:
Perception Ramber 9.5

Another note on the Wilderness boats, shorter is better for me, easier to haul, and the cockpit size is the same on all length boats.

I think Outdoor World in Dawsonville has a test pool if I remember correctly.

Cedar Creek Outdoors is in Cave Spring, GA and has different rentals available and the did have a retail spot in Dallas, GA. (they show a test pool as well).
Cedar Creek Outdoors Dallas, GA

Last edited:

Upatoi Sportsman

I completely agree about the sit on top kayak. Also a good seat is important if you plan to spend hours on the water. Sit on tops also have more ability to add mods if needed. I would suggest calling local shops because most of them have demo kayaks you can tryout to find out what features you like the most. You can then find the one that has those features at your price point.
I had a perception pescador for a few years and used it all the time. I then upgraded to a vibe sea ghost. I was able to find a vibe that was one of those demo boats and got it for a steal of a deal.
Once you decide on what you want keep an eye out on FB marketplace for used ones also. When buying a kayak used isn't a bad way to go because the first time you use one it will get a few scratches and dirt anyway.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Hope you didn't mean "one" for the wife and I, as in a tandem...

You don't want that, they don't call em "divorce boats" for nothing...lol

I have been out of the yak game for a while, but the biggest thing to be aware of used to be construction...The brand names (Hobie, wilderness system, ocean, etc.) we're all rotomolded, meaning one piece. The budget big box brands were molded top and bottom, and then fused together. They were prone to Seam leaks.

Last edited:

Geffellz18

X3 for sit on top(SOT). I’ve had several of both since I got into it and SOT is by far the way to go.
Great advice already shared.
Some additional info around where to possibly pickup a really good deal on a boat would be vibekayaks.com. This time of year they usually have discounts on previous year boats. I have a sea ghost 13, my brother has a yellowfin 10. Both are great boats that paddle well.
If your in no real hurry, Sierra.com usually has some really good deals too, and sometimes even have free shipping even on kayaks. Their site is temporarily down due to COVID, but you can browse for now.
I got a Pescador pro 10 on there couple of months ago for the wife for $250 off the price at academy.
They currently have a great price on a WS ride low 13ft right now for $599 with a couple in stock. It retails for $999. Very nice all around boat. May be a little long for small rivers though.

X2 on a tandem boat. Got my dad a vibe yellowfin tandem 13 for fishing(pictured in my avatar!)
Does great in single setup and I definitely recommend it for that.
But he and I took it out of flamingo marina in Everglades NP last year on its maiden voyage and didn’t even make it past the end of the dock before we flipped it in flat calm water.
Both trying to paddle kept the boat going all over the water. Someone leans one way without the other knowing gives the sense of instability, then you overcorrect and over you go! Both have to be in complete sequence for it to work.
We got back to the ramp and started over. Told dad to just sit there and stay still until we got onto the flats before he started moving. At least then we
Would only be in 2-3 ft of water! Had no other real issues after that because I told him I would just paddle and he needed to sit still as we moved around the flats.
Do not recommend at all for actual two person setup unless it’s adult/child and the child does what is asked of them!

WadeW

Yeah, definitely not wanting a tandem, one for each of us. She's probably looking in the 9.5 to 10ft range and I may go up to a 12ft if needed. When I first started I was 400lbs so I was looking for as big as I could get and still carry myself. Now I'm 230lbs but still thinking about a bigger boat so I can haul camping gear in it and not overload it. We were at Academy yesterday and I was looking at that new monster they have, the Perception Outlaw 11.5 but I think the seat might be too high for recreational boating but great for fishing. I know we're looking at the wrong season to score a great deal but I'll keep checking. There is a girl on FB Marketplace that gets some every year and usually has some good deals. She said she would have some next week. I'll wait to see what brands she gets and maybe we can get something. If not I'll keep looking.

weagle

Don't do what I did and waste a couple of fishing seasons thinking it to death. I can 100% recommend the Pelican Catch 100 or 120 based on my experience when choosing a "first Kayak" but there are a lot great 10 and 12 foot Kayaks that you'll be happy with.

Here's my experience getting into the sport. My only regret is that I didn't get a fishing kayak years ago.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/pelican-catch-100-first-kayak.917003/

WadeW

I ended up stopping on the Gander Outdoors in Augusta to see what they had, left with a Pescador 10 for $390, then called the next day to check the price on the Pescador 12. I drove back to Augusta and left with the other 10 for $332 and got the 12 for $430. Definitely couldn't pass those prices up. Looking forward to getting on the water!!!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Geffellz18

I’d say so! Pescadors are really good kayaks too. Had a Pescador 12 a few years ago. Just bought a Pescador pro 10 for my wife and used it for the first time this morning.
Congrats on the purchases and enjoy!