Beginner Needs Advice

fatback

I am looking into getting a fly set up for bream fishing in a few local ponds. I have never fly fished and have no idea even where to begin looking or what I should be looking for. I would like something that would equate to an ultra light spinning outfit that I use now for bream fishing. I know a fly rod is gonna be quite a bit longer, just something that is on the lighter side. Any suggestions are welcomed. Not looking to break the bank but I don't mind spending for good equipment. Thanks

Triple C

You are in for hours and hours of pure exhilaration! Novice myself. Maybe somewhat of a pretty decent beginner as I've figured out a lot that I never knew when I started. Leader sizes, tying tippets on to leaders, casting, etc. Here's what I'll tell you from my short experience. I've got a custom made rod and high dollar Tibor reel in 7/8wt given to me as a gift. Too heavy for bream n bass in my pond. Ordered a cheap combo 3/4 wt off of Amazon, Wild Water combo for bout a $100 bucks and love that darn thing. Been wearing the bream n bass out in the pond.

Take my comments with a grain of salt as I'm pretty much new to this myself. But I love the the Wild Water combo for $100 bucks with a 4X or 5X leader and foam bugs/poppers/sliders casting for bream/bass in the pond.

flyrod444

Brands already mentioned are all good starter combo type. With fly fishing the weight of the line is what cast the fly or popper, not the weight of the fly or popper. As a beginner one might find it hard to cast a popper with anything less than a 4 or 5 weight rod. On breezy days even a experienced caster wouldn't want to go any lighter. I would say a 8 1/2' to 9' 4 or 5 weight combo would be best for starting out. I personally use 8' 6" 4 weight for popper fishing for bream. It works great and is a ton of fun on big bream and the occasional bass that take the popper. Good luck and welcome to what might be a new addiction.

Redfins

I was looking for the same suggestions last year and settled on the TFO nxt combo after looking over the market. It comes with a nice case and has been a great first outfit. When I was shopping there were a couple online sites that were considerably cheaper than others too. I went with a 5wt and have been well served. I will eventually get a 3wt for the ogeechee and canoochee, but fishing farm ponds in the wind I wouldn't want to go much smaller if any. I did upgrade the line after I got the hang of casting, thats probably the best spend I have made. As mentioned, fly fishing can become addicting fast.

fatback

I was looking for the same suggestions last year and settled on the TFO nxt combo after looking over the market. It comes with a nice case and has been a great first outfit. When I was shopping there were a couple online sites that were considerably cheaper than others too. I went with a 5wt and have been well served. I will eventually get a 3wt for the ogeechee and canoochee, but fishing farm ponds in the wind I wouldn't want to go much smaller if any. I did upgrade the line after I got the hang of casting, thats probably the best spend I have made. As mentioned, fly fishing can become addicting fast.
Do you remember the websites that had the best deals? Thanks

Redfins

At the time it seemed like maybe there were preferred distributors or something. This was a year ago and in early covid days, but most places were 220 and a handful were 159. I googled the setup just now and it seems the price to play has gone up by 20 or so. I got mine from adventuron, but only because mad river was out of stock at the time. I buy as much as I can from mro. Without the youtube videos brian flechsig at mad river posts, I wouldn't have learned how to fly cast.

splatek

UAEC
Classifieds here and NGTO’s sometimes have a few old rods
check Amazon and eBay
You don’t have to spend a lot
Got my ten weight year old some Martin set up complete with everything from reel to tippet and he was catching bran and bass from the back in no time
It’s not glorious but 43$ to the door
0075912B-88E5-4D98-BB0A-5EF117CE3964.png

Robust Redhorse

I would opt for a 9' 6wt.

A WF6F line will let you throw wind resistant bream poppers and deer hair flies with no problem.

Sure, a 3wt is all you need to fight a bream, but being able to cast a popper into the wind is a big plus.