Being able to bait on public land yes or no

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I wouldn’t mind a little killing ever once in a while.....guess I’ll keep hunting til I get my own place

Mark R

NO . no . NO . If ya want corn fed meat they sale it at the store . If ya want the good organic stuff learn to hunt .

JB0704

I Gots Goats
If sitting on a foodplot is the same as sitting on a corn pile, I'm not sure why it's illegal to dump corn on a wma? They have all kinda food plots.

rugerfan

I hunt national forest, and I do not want baiting in the national forest. I have hunted a few WMA's and I don't want baiting there either. As said before, you pour out say 100 pounds of corn, and I kill a dandy buck off your corn pile, are you going to be ok with that? Are you going to turn and walk away when you come in there at 5 am, and I have my climber over your pile of corn? Are you going to turn and walk away? Or are you going to start a fight?

Because public land is and will always be, first come first serve.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
South Carolina allows salt blocks to be placed on public lands.

I wonder how that works?
Who cares. It's South Carolina and it's none of our business what/how/when another state allows something on their land.

Browning Slayer

Yeah it matters because people are claiming bait or minerals on public lands would be a disaster.

Are you saying Georgia hunters can't control themselves and SC hunters can?
Please, tell me how it matters with what South Carolina is doing in their state to how we manage ours "public lands"? We already have laws in place to deal with lands we share.

Our rules are in place. If folks want to change those rules, folks from other states don't have a voice. You don't have a vote and you don't live or hunt here. If you hunt here then you still have no voice. An out of state fishing license or hunting license doesn't grant you permission or authority to how a state governs something.

No more then I do with regulations in fishing going on in Florida.

You don't live or hunt here but you also considered it to be a "disaster" if we allowed baiting in the northern zone on private land. You were wrong then, too.

Browning Slayer

It does matter because people on here are claiming it would be a disaster leading to violence.

Hasn't happened over salt licks in SC, so why would it happen over salt licks in Ga?

I'll just leave it at that.

:pop:
Maybe it matters in your eyes. The eyes of a person that does not hunt or never plans on hunting in GA.

Cause lots of folks said they were moving to Canada when Trump got elected. How did that work out for em, EH??? Just because it's said on the internet......

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
WMA hunting is a challenge and should be left that way.
I like the scouting that is involved with hunting WMAs, I just don't want to go pour out a bag of corn.

The only problem I have with the West Point WMA is you should be able to bow hunt it all season long.....ALL of it!

Taco4x4

I just spent the last two days scouting a new to me bow only WMA. I love not knowing what your going to find next. That one White oak that's seems to be dropping more than the rest or that mass of Scuppernong vines in a secluded bottom. I enjoy finding the deer as much or more than killing them. If I find a corn pile on a WMA you can bet I will Rat you out. That's just lazy.

Last edited:

Wifeshusband

You don't "hunt" over bait. You shoot.

I still caint figure out how some folks caint kill a deer without corning it up.

If your skills suck that bad, buy a spotlight.

Corn is yesterday's news down where I hunt. The new food for baiters is "Buck Muscle," developed by the big money crowd. Hard to find because it gets bought like a hot stock with the click of a mouse. Fellow in a feed store lamented last year that all hunters want now is buck muscle and its been "rationed" to select outlets. I have heard stories from "shooters" who say if you put out a pile of buck muscle next to corn, the deer will hit the buck muscle first and not even touch the corn. What will they come up with next? Of course, there are some folks running around pouring molasses on stumps and throwing out candy apples everywhere. I'm ashamed to be lumped in the category of "sportsmen," with such folks. I feel a roll coming on.

Kdad

No, and I will say I have hunted over corn in both SC and GA, legally. If I don't want to hunt over corn I sit somewhere else. I do see it as challenging myself to scout and feel more accomplished when I do see deer or connect and harvest one. I hunted on a baited lease and killed more deer away from the corn than over corn but that was my choice and it was legal. If it's not legal then I don't wanna have anything to do with it, if it's legal but I don't wanna do it, then who am I to complain or fault someone else that does hunt over corn? I just keep it to myself and keep it moving... Having been on leases and hunting public grounds also, you can bet the barn doors would be ripped off if someone was on another persons corn pile at dawn. I see no good from it BUT that's my thoughts, if they make it legal then I just do me and keep my head down and powder dry...

Wifeshusband

I wouldn’t mind a little killing ever once in a while.....guess I’ll keep hunting til I get my own place
Listen, I have faith in you, that you can kill a deer, WITHOUT corn, on a WMA. You wanna know why, because you got grit, which equals determination and perseverance, something a lot of these hunters used to have, but have swapped out for corn. Pay attention to the man behind the curtain.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Listen, I have faith in you, that you can kill a deer, WITHOUT corn, on a WMA. You wanna know why, because you got grit, which equals determination and perseverance, something a lot of these hunters used to have, but have swapped out for corn. Pay attention to the man behind the curtain.
I will kill a deer this year on public land with a crossbow not over a corn pile! Bet on it! :rockon: