Bergara B14 Timber 6.5CM best 120gr ammo?

reds

What have you found to be the best grouping hunting ammo in this approximate weight? I tried SigSauer and after the break-in it shot inch and a half 3 shot group. That was the only brand the store had in that weight. As expensive as ammo is now, hoping someone may have a recommendation? Thanks

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
What have you found to be the best grouping hunting ammo in this approximate weight? I tried SigSauer and after the break-in it shot inch and a half 3 shot group. That was the only brand the store had in that weight. As expensive as ammo is now, hoping someone may have a recommendation? Thanks
Unfortunately there is no right answer except your particular rifle will like what it likes.

Jester896

Senior Clown
what range are you shooting?
I think you are on track as far as bullet weight for jacketed lead bullets.

I think Sig uses Sierra bullets in their V-Crown pistol ammo. I don't know who's rifle bullets they use.

Maybe someone close to Perry could let you know what they have at Sports Center if they pass by before you ride over.

BriarPatch99

I think @bullethead has the answer ... no two rifles are exactly alike even though they appear to be exactly the same ...

Sierra bullets in my opinion is a bullet that is most likely to shoot well in many rifles ...Nosler Ballistic Tip and Hornady SST are two others that normally shoot well in many rifles ...

Question is ....does your rifle fit into that group or does it stand in the group that will only shoot certain bullets ...

The only way to find out is to shoot as many different bullets as you can ... in these times that is certainly harder to do than in the past ..

reds

what range are you shooting?
I think you are on track as far as bullet weight for jacketed lead bullets.

I think Sig uses Sierra bullets in their V-Crown pistol ammo. I don't know who's rifle bullets they use.

Maybe someone close to Perry could let you know what they have at Sports Center if they pass by before you ride over.
Shooting 100 yds. Someone gave me a box of Hornady 120gr GMX this afternoon I will try tomorrow. The Sig ones I tried are the Elite Performance Copper.

SC Hunter

My bergara ridge shoots handloaded 123 grain SST's very well. It also shoots 140 grain factory loaded ballistic tips and 143 grain eld-x and eld-m's very well.

Reactions: Dub

BriarPatch99

Thanks. Was hoping to narrow down the ammo choices because of the prices these days.

Sorry Wish it was real easy ... but ...
Lets say TechZ bullets shoot "lights out" in every rifle made ... Sierra, Hornady, Nosler and Berger could close the doors ...cause nobody would want nothing but TechZ bullets to shoot ...

Prices and availability are the "bump" in the road for all us shooters ... maybe it will get better soon ...

Reactions: Dub

Lilly001

I’m going with the Norma 140’s Because that’s all I could find for less than 35$ a box.
My Xbolt shoots them right at an inch.
I’ll try others if I can find them in that price range, or I’ll start reloading again.
I need to, I just have to find the room.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Thanks. Was hoping to narrow down the ammo choices because of the prices these days.
Years ago a group of us that all hunted together would get an idea to buy a particular rifle/cartridge. 4 or 5 of us at a time.
One year 5 of us wanted M70 Stainless Classics in 300Wby mag and our LGS guy said that he could get 4 from one distributor and if we took 4 from another distributor he could get us great prices. We found 3 more guys to take the extra.
Anyway, 4 rifles from the one distributor came in with serial numbers in succession. I loaded ammo for all of them and Each one has favorite load that the others shoot well but not as well as their own favorite. So Imagine barrels made months or years apart!
I have some rifles that shoot almost everything well and some rifles that have a favorite brand, style and weight of bullet.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Shooting 100 yds. Someone gave me a box of Hornady 120gr GMX this afternoon I will try tomorrow. The Sig ones I tried are the Elite Performance Copper.

that's a rub right there...the 120gr solids are going to perform like 140 or higher class traditional bullets. That was the reason I mentioned jacketed lead bullets. The copper bullets are as long or close to the 140gr bullets yet only weighing 120gr.

Solids are normally higher that traditional too

reds

that's a rub right there...the 120gr solids are going to perform like 140 or higher class traditional bullets. That was the reason I mentioned jacketed lead bullets. The copper bullets are as long or close to the 140gr bullets yet only weighing 120gr.

Jester, is that a typo in your first sentence? Did you mean to say "not"?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
IMHO, 6.5cm= 143eldx and be done. More often than not, it'll be very accurate.
Seems to be a rare occasion if that bullet doesn't shoot well.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The Sig and the Hornady CX Outfitter bear a strong resemblance. Hornady has never been the leader in copper. The CX bullet replaced the GMX that wasn't a good performer.

SC Hunter

IMHO, 6.5cm= 143eldx and be done. More often than not, it'll be very accurate.
My bergara shoots the 143 eldx and m really good. I haven't shot them enough to really dive in but I do know the 123 grain SST is almost touching if I do my part. I like that rifle so far and want to shoot a few more animals with it.

Latest posts