Bering Optics Thermals

sghoghunter

Iray has a 5 year warranty. I don’t own any of their stuff but probably will very soon.

I’m looking at buying the Bolt scope and Cabin scanner.

They advertise a 5 business day turnaround after receiving something back for warranty.

Just curious what are you planning on hunting with the bolt thermal? I did look into the Iray scopes when I bought my last one but I couldn’t justify paying an extra $700 for the same specs as the Bering Optics Vibe just to get an extra year of warranty. Also the base mag was more on the Iray than I really wanted. If all I done was shoot yotes and it was a designated to a bolt gun I’d buy one in a minute.

sghoghunter

If your gonna play with thermal go ahead and spend the serious money and buy high end quality equipment otherwise you will constantly be upgrading

I disagree with your comment. Thermal scopes are a day night difference from daytime scopes. For 5 years I killed a pile of hogs with a $1900 scope and neither one could you have killed them any deader with a $7500 Ir reaper. A guy with plenty of money was in our club a few years back and he had a custom made gun topped with a $7500 reaper and would sit 40 yds away from a feeder and shoot hogs. At the same time I would stalk up to a hog across an open field to get within 40 yds of a hog and shoot and have way more satisfaction. The only thing a high dollar scope has that my new $2500 scope don’t have is clarity of image. In my opinion you don’t have to count the hairs on a hog to kill it

sghoghunter

Sent it last wednesday. They received it monday and called me yesterday. $30 to replace function buttons and battery compartment, will send an email confirming shipping after repair. I think thats awesome service and great price for a discontinued unit one year out of warranty.

After you said that I went back and looked at the repair paper on mine and the on and off button was one of my problems too. One thing I do since I got it back is I use the remote that come with it to turn on/off and to nuc it

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
After you said that I went back and looked at the repair paper on mine and the on and off button was one of my problems too. One thing I do since I got it back is I use the remote that come with it to turn on/off and to nuc it
Thats my plan as well. I never even took my remote out of the packaging.

ditchdoc24

I disagree with your comment. Thermal scopes are a day night difference from daytime scopes. For 5 years I killed a pile of hogs with a $1900 scope and neither one could you have killed them any deader with a $7500 Ir reaper. A guy with plenty of money was in our club a few years back and he had a custom made gun topped with a $7500 reaper and would sit 40 yds away from a feeder and shoot hogs. At the same time I would stalk up to a hog across an open field to get within 40 yds of a hog and shoot and have way more satisfaction. The only thing a high dollar scope has that my new $2500 scope don’t have is clarity of image. In my opinion you don’t have to count the hairs on a hog to kill it

Absolute truth in this post. I went entry level getting into thermal with my RXQ30V. Would it be nice to have better resolution, more magnification and the ability to record video? It sure would and maybe I'll upgrade one day. But for right now, what I have works and I can't justify to myself spending the money it will take to get those features. I'm not trying to knock any other scopes in this. If it works and you're killing hogs then I'm very happy for you. Every hog I've killed with my cheap thermal scope is just as dead as it would be if I'd have used any other scope. I'll keep whacking them and I hope you do the same.

sghoghunter

Absolute truth in this post. I went entry level getting into thermal with my RXQ30V. Would it be nice to have better resolution, more magnification and the ability to record video? It sure would and maybe I'll upgrade one day. But for right now, what I have works and I can't justify to myself spending the money it will take to get those features. I'm not trying to knock any other scopes in this. If it works and you're killing hogs then I'm very happy for you. Every hog I've killed with my cheap thermal scope is just as dead as it would be if I'd have used any other scope. I'll keep whacking them and I hope you do the same.

I’ve had this Hogster for about two months but haven’t had any luck laying one down since I’ve had it. I changed scope and ammo at the same time and was beginning to think I’d done jinxed my gun. I’ve seen this bunch in a couple different cow pastures and haven’t bothered with them till tonight. Feels good to get that ole monkey off my back

Attachments

• 3F1FA55D-985E-4358-B7FC-41D07057E177.png
    3F1FA55D-985E-4358-B7FC-41D07057E177.png
    461.4 KB · Views: 27
  • BF581743-A268-466B-B49D-60B0B04B4E11.jpeg
    BF581743-A268-466B-B49D-60B0B04B4E11.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 27

Keith Karr

Just curious what are you planning on hunting with the bolt thermal? I did look into the Iray scopes when I bought my last one but I couldn’t justify paying an extra $700 for the same specs as the Bering Optics Vibe just to get an extra year of warranty. Also the base mag was more on the Iray than I really wanted. If all I done was shoot yotes and it was a designated to a bolt gun I’d buy one in a minute.

I shoot bolt guns for coyotes only and hunt pastures and hayfields where the shooting can be at greater distance than the typical hog hunting. I’m sure the hog hunting is fun but thankfully we don’t have any here…..yet !

sghoghunter

I shoot bolt guns for coyotes only and hunt pastures and hayfields where the shooting can be at greater distance than the typical hog hunting. I’m sure the hog hunting is fun but thankfully we don’t have any here…..yet !

Sounds like that would be perfect for your style of hunting. I was going on my old scope was a 1.6 base mag and the new one is 2 base and that don’t seem like much but it’s a big difference in tight close up places like we hunt

Big7

The Oracle
Off topic a little although this build "could" be used as a Hog Popper with 60gr Aguila Sniper boolit. but..

Is there a such thing as an "el cheapo" that would work on a Savage Rascal or the Chipmunk single shots?

BTW- The Rascal is infinitely better than the Chipmunk or. Crickett and only about 50 bucks more. ?

Last edited:

sghoghunter

Off topic a little although this build "could" be used as a Hog Popper with 60gr Anguilla SST''s but..

Is there a such thing as an "el cheapo" that would work on a Savage Rascal or the Chipmunk single shots?

BTW- The Rascal is infinitely better than the Chipmunk or. Crickett and only about 50 bucks more. ?

Yes sir there’s a couple in the range that I’m sure would fit that small of a gun but as far as “el Chepo” it all depends on your el chepo. There’s a few sub $2000 that’ll work

Todd E

Exactly. I shoot pigs anywhere from 30 yards to 275 yards with an ATN Thor 4. I'm not paying to upgrade to a $9k thermal just so my YouTube vids show clarity at 275. My investment kills em dead at 275 yards DRT just fine.

Big7

The Oracle
Yes sir there’s a couple in the range that I’m sure would fit that small of a gun but as far as “el Chepo” it all depends on your el chepo. There’s a few sub $2000 that’ll work
We must be talking about something different.

I keep seeing pop- up for the ATN Brand and IDK if they are any count or not. Some of theirs, you could get 4 for 2 grand.

I'm thinking 2 or 3 hundred, not thousand. ?

I'd just like to see good enough to make a 40- 50 yard shot at night with a 60gr Aguila Sniper boolit.

Not brand specific at all. Just for fun. Not going to lay out a bunch of cash for this little idea. ?

Thanks for the reply tho.
Much appreciated.

sghoghunter

I keep seeing pop- up for the ATN Brand and IDK if they are any count or not. Some of theirs, you could get 4 for 2 grand.

I'd just like to see good enough to make a 40- 50 yard shot at night with a 60gr Aguila Sniper boolit.

Not brand specific at all. Just for fun. Not going to lay out a bunch of cash for this little idea. ?

Much appreciated.

You could get something like an ATN Xsight for around $500 but their a waste of money in my opinion

Todd E

Much appreciated.

Google something like the night vision guys or some site like that. I saw a night vision set up on there for $499 on sale. It would suit you well. It's not thermal. It uses an ir illuminator so it's NV.

sleepr71

Sightmark Wraith Mini 4K. It’s compact,and WORKS.! With the factory illuminator,you can see to 200 yds easily. Works in daytime also..just gets “grainy” at high magnification(above 12X). To do better..you will need to move into the $2,000-2,500 Thermal scopes?

Big7

The Oracle
Google something like the night vision guys or some site like that. I saw a night vision set up on there for $499 on sale. It would suit you well. It's not thermal. It uses an ir illuminator so it's NV.
Thanks. I'll have to study the difference and look at the cost of each.

Thanks for the reply
?

ditchdoc24

Sightmark Wraith Mini 4K. It’s compact,and WORKS.! With the factory illuminator,you can see to 200 yds easily. Works in daytime also..just gets “grainy” at high magnification(above 12X). To do better..you will need to move into the $2,000-2,500 Thermal scopes?

I've never used a Wraith but I've heard a lot of positive reviews of them. I used to have an ATN X-sight but it was nothing but a problem and I got rid of it pretty quickly. ATN does not have much in the way of customer service and a lot of people recommend staying away from ATN products simply because you can't get any help if you have a problem. Night vision works fine but what I noticed was that the IR light tends to reflect off any grasses, bushes or trees in the area. If you're strictly hunting in fields, then I don't think NV would be a problem. I really didn't like using NV in the woods simply because the IR kept washing out the images in the scope. I went thermal and never looked back. It works in all kinds of terrain although hot and humid air may degrade the image quality slightly.

Kestas69

Much appreciated.

Before I got thermal scope I have used Pard NV007 a lot. You can use it as a hand held monocular or as a clip on. Attaches to your day scope in a second. Works very well for the money. Good image quality and records audio/video. Killed a lot of hogs under feeder. F0995651-EC4D-4774-9753-8E765192BD90.png
https://www.amazon.com/Pard-monocul...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Todd E