Berrien county Alapaha river

Whitetailer

How about a report post hurricane Michael. Wind and rain amount.
Hoping the river does not come up tooooo far. just did four days of work last week and hope it is not for naught

Whitetailer

the last morning we were at camp we decided to go out on a limb and build an arguably :"sacrificial" bridge. Knowing if the river came up too much it would wash out. This is the first slough and when it gets deep we have no access to our river side of the property. it was ten days before Michael and we thought it may be a wash, pun intended. The river can come up about 6 or 7 feet before the bridge would be in jeopardy.

Attachments

• bridge 1.jpg
    bridge 1.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 43
  • bridge 2.jpg
    bridge 2.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 43

Whitetailer

Nothing positive to report so far this firearms season. Two hunts over the first two weeks and lots of warm and often wet conditions. Loads of trail cam pictures of some great buck all in darkness. No rut sign as of Nov ember 6th.

Whitetailer

Will be on the property 11/15 for 4 .. 5 .. 6 .. days???
Septic system is inoperable, so no showers or toilet or any water use. Might be tough. Glad it will be cold so there is less perspiration!!!:confused:

Whitetailer

Hey Wanderlust, Thanks for kick starting the conversation! Great job on that buck for your son. I will be up next weekend for an extended stay as I have shut down my business and am getting ready to make some changes in my life. I was up the open and did see a few rubs. Only doe w/fawns and a couple small buck were seen that weekend. Stay in touch. Whitetailer/Russ

Wanderlust

Got a decent 9 pt yesterday evening. He walked in about 5:30 and was feeding in the food plot. Hocks were dark and he smelled rutty.Neck was swollen up pretty good. Seen him back in November but was too far for a shot. Not a giant but my best with a crossbow.IMG_20191201_192809624.jpgIMG_20191201_192829940.jpg

Whitetailer

its February, so what the heck..... the river is up 13 feet, I will be on the property for a day next week... Then up to north Georgia to hopefully do some wintertime fly fishing. Russ

Wanderlust

Crossed over the 129 bridge this week and the river was WAY out of it's banks. Good luck on your fishing trip, bout ready to go south for some trout and redfish myself.

Whitetailer

River level is dropping steadily. No rain in the forecast all week. Hopefully the Turkey hunters will be able to spread out more,

Whitetailer

spent a few more days on the river property. pulled out old stands and wire brushed them. painted them. rigged new seats. put three stands up that were not used for years. moved a couple stands too. river is down, but the roads and sloughs are holding lots of rainwater. pines planted 3 years ago are from 3 to 8 feet tall. quail whistling non stop. lots of wood storks too. ran the disc over four plots, just for the heck of it. put a couple trail cams out and got pics of buck with velvet antlers just starting. and, oh yeah, turkeys all over the place....

Whitetailer

I have been on the property a number of times from March until present. Pulled cameras 7/6. Lots of velvet with some pretty cool pictures. Can anyone tell me when the buck begin to rub the velvet off? I am wondering how much longer the antlers will grow? Got some pictures with five velvet Buck in one photo. I've seen bachelor groups before, but not on this land.

Whitetailer

What I figured.... I have seen rubs by early September. Nice they have a month to grow!!
OH, heck no....they have probably six weeks or more...

Last edited: