Berrien County report

CuznDave

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to all you Berrien County folk. I am now married into a Berrien County family (have been six yeras now) and have done and am planning to do some hunting there. We will be down to my in-laws to do "Christmas: The Sequel" on Thursday. I will hunt on their farm and maybe some other family land while I am there. The farm is on the Lenox Hwy and the family land is just outside of Nashville.
Best of luck to you in the New Year and maybe we can meet for lunch at the Dinner Bell or over in Alapaha.
CuznDave

Whitetailer

Creekhunter

I'm done hunting for this year!
Man, it makes me sad to say that...... :banginghe

I have to concentrate on the fishing business now. The wind is blowing 20-25 kts.which means most of our Christmas week will be a washout as far as taking any charters out. I usually come up after the first of the year, but I am not going to this year. I have closed up the camp winterized etc. and have a couple of charters lined up that week.

What room is that new mount hanging in? My son has not gotten a good rack buck yet. Hopefullly next season!

Whitetailer..............

Cuzndave, Have a good hunt.

creekhunter

When is it ever going to dry up?

Whitetailer:

I can't believe the season is winding down. Two weeks from today and the fat lady will sing. I hunted the last hour today without seeing anything other than doves, geese, squirrels, and a rabbit.

My wife gave me a new 4-wheeler for Christmas, so I'll be able to get to explore some of the places on my farm I haven't wanted to walk through (after hunting season is over).

I keep thinking I'll get down your way one day to fish with you.

CuzNDave, maybe we can meet one day for lunch. My farm is near Ray City, not too far from Nashville. There's some nice folks around Nashville.

Take care!

J Pritchard III

When are you gonna be around the Dinner Bell? I frequent the Dinner Bell and the Cadillac Ranch...some good food. Ya'll PM me and we can get together and eat sometime in Nashville.

creekhunter

J Pritchard III:

I haven't eaten at either place. I'm not sure when I'll be up that way again, but I'll email you when I know.

J Pritchard III

Thursday nights are good at The Cadillac Ranch if you like wings...they are $.35 on those nights. I usually go to The Dinner Bell before I get in the woods. My wife and I just bought a new house that wa built on the main street in town just a ways pass the 3rd light by the Dinner Bell. Just let me know and we will get together some time.

creekhunter

J Pritchard III:

I'll sure let you know when I'm gonna be up that way.

Are you seeing any deer? We sure aren't. I think the full moon has em locked down tight during daylight hours. ::huh:

Good luck!

J Pritchard III

My pa in law has seen a couple of bucks (8pts) in the afternoon this past week, but I ran a few deer off of a stand around 12:30 Monday. I have seen a buck running does hard on Friday morning and her dad saw one of the 8pts running does hard on Sunday afternoon. I get off at 2am tonight so I will hunt mid morning tomorrow. I think the reason I have seen deer in the morning this weekend was due to the rain all night the night before?

OconeeJim

I tried to hunt Christmas Day....but....

...just too rough for me. Rained all night, so Sunday was a complete washout! I hunt Northeast Berrien, between Alapaha and Lax. Saw some good track activity in the fields, but didn't see a deer on Friday afternoon or Sat. morning.

billy336

I love the Cadillac Ranch. Every time I'm up there I stop in to see Joey. Food is really good. We used to hit Ray's Mill Pond but it seems to have lost something in the past couple of years. Good to hear some deer are being seen. I hunt in Teeterville and it has been a tough go this year. Two more weeks to get one. Good luck to all fellow Berrien hunters.

creekhunter

Cadillac Ranch

Would someone give me directions to the Cadillac Ranch. Say I'm in front of the J. H. Harvey Company headquarters. Which way?

J Pritchard III

Harvey's Co. is on your left, then go down and take a right on the road besides Hardees (before Hardees). There will immediately be a 4 way stop, go through it, cross some old railroad tracks then you will come up on a curve to your right. As soon as you go around the curve it will be on your right. It is a wooden building, no sign, and the only place in sight. I'm not sure, but I think they are closed this week...maybe in Belouxi. Cindy and Joey play golf with us on Thurs. out @ Circlestone w/ the crowd from Harvey's Co. Oh, and after talking about the Dinner Bell yesterday I had to go there for lunch today.

creekhunter

Turkeys attack deer!

Thanks for the directions J Pritchard III.

I got to my stand yesterday about 5:00 p.m. I had to climb quietly, as 14-turkeys were watching me from the clover food plot (about 75-yards from the stand). I watched them feed and play until 5:20, when a young doe came into the food plot. The doe was intrigued by the turkeys and wagged it's tail in approval of their presence.

The doe walked over to the area with the turkeys and tried to feed near them. Then I saw something I've never seen before. The turkeys, led by a long beard, attacked the doe! They ran after her with their wings spread and neck strectched-out, as if they were going to bite her. The doe ran for a little ways, shocked by the turkey's rude behavior. She tried to feed again, but the turkeys repeated their attack twice more, until the doe had to leave the food plot.

If it hadn't been so funny, I would have been mad that the turkeys ran off my chances of seeing a buck follow the doe into the plot. I didn't see any other deer and the turkeys fed until 5:45 p.m., before going to roost in the nearby trees in the creek.

CuznDave

Sorry I haven't gotten in touch with anyone; I haven't had access to a computer like I thought I might. We had a good Christmas and I did a little hunting with no luck exceptr for a surprise last night.
The deal was that I could hunt the morning and my wife and mom-in-law would shop the afternoon (leaving me to take care of two year old - we had fun riding tractors and playing). They got back a little after 4 and my son was still sleeping so I decided to head out to the back part of the farm. I did not even put on "hunting clothes" (all my gear was in guest room where my son was sleeping - and woe be to the one that wakes him from his nap. I had my jacket and vest, fanny pack, and rifle in the truck and my boots on the bench by the back door. I went and sat in an old 2X4 stand about 6' ft high in some planted pines. The deer usually come out of the scrub through the pines to some of the food plots on the edge between the pines and cotton fields. No luck. At dark I eased out of the stand for the walk back to the house. I knew that there would be a chance to see something on the edge of the cottonfileds since there was some moonlight and fading daylight left. As I turned up the road between two cotton fiels there was a deer about 40 yds ahead of me facing away. I put the scope on her but all I had was backend and head. I waited for her to turn broadside and eased the safety off. She stepped to the left, broadside ..... and thuddump, :eek: thuddump, thuddump... eight more deer came bounding out of the lower cotton field, across the road and into the upper field. I was so surprised I forgot to shoot. It was quite an experieence to have that many deer bounding by so close. They kept going through th e cotton stalks, crashing and tearing until they were out of site. With it being so dark, after about the first jump into the upper field all I saw was a group of white flags appearring and disaapearing through the darkness. Oh well, so ends another season. ::huh:
Happy New Year to all. We will be back visiting before too long, maybe get together with some of you then. CuznDave

Whitetailer

River levels????

Well, I'm starting to think about the "water situation" . Will probably get up to the property after July 4th weekend! Creekhunter or anyone.....Are the rivers down and is it dry enough to plant along the Alapaha river???

Had two guys up to Turkey hunt, and they said it was still flooded bad a few weeks ago.

Whitetailer..................

creekhunter

Alapaha River

Whitetailer:

My creekbed is beginning to dry-up. Showers are expected this afternoon. Had a small shower yesterday, but not enough to wet the ground. The fields are dry. I'm downstream from your lease, so you are probably drying-out as well. I planted some squash yesterday, about 2-months late!

Whitetailer

Creekhunter

The creek beds are getting dry??? As in real low water??? Oh my, that is good news to me! I want to come up in 5 or 6 weeks and mow and or disk and maybe spread some lime. I just got a new Silverado, and need to get a roadtrip under my belt!!!

Thanks, Whitetailer...........................