Besides the Bible.....

So Ive got a "whats your opinion in general" question for y'all -
Ive got a pistol that I love. Its a CZ70 -
Positives -
I just love shooting it and how it feels.
Basically zero recoil = fast and accurate follow up shots. I can double and triple tap with it quite effectively.
Its a quality pistol etc etc.
Negative -
Caliber is 7.65 Browning which = .32ACP
Im familiar with .32ACP ballistics/gel tests etc etc. which aren't great.
On the flip side, the .32ACP has been used by a lot of military/police forces and its killed its share of folks.
Considering the positives vs the negative would you bet your life on it - as in would you carry it?
View attachment 998106
https://www.lehighdefense.com/index.php?_route_=32-acp-50gr-xtreme-cavitator-ammunition

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ammo-review-lehigh-underwood-make-32-acp-great/

Thread starter #102

WaltL1

Hey Bullet, glad you jumped in on this.
It was actually these bullets ^ that's got me reevaluating the possibility of carrying this pistol at certain times.
And the dude in the video was shooting that little Tomcat. My CZ70 has got an inch longer barrel which I would assume would make at least a bit of a positive difference.
However I have NO CLUE as to whether they even function reliably in my pistol which of course is the whole ball game regardless of anything else. Going to have to really test them out at the range.
So you didn't answer the million dollar question - would you bet your life on this pistol in .32ACP? (Assuming these lehighs' function properly).
And Im just interested in opinions. Any decision I make will be my own based on ballistics, the pistol etc.

Spotlite

the million dollar question - would you bet your life on this pistol in .32ACP? .
I think the honest answer is you’re betting your life with any round / pistol.

A 22 mag between the eyes is better than a 45 in the thigh. If you can consistently hit with it, that’s what I’d use.

Hey Bullet, glad you jumped in on this.
It was actually these bullets ^ that's got me reevaluating the possibility of carrying this pistol at certain times.
And the dude in the video was shooting that little Tomcat. My CZ70 has got an inch longer barrel which I would assume would make at least a bit of a positive difference.
However I have NO CLUE as to whether they even function reliably in my pistol which of course is the whole ball game regardless of anything else. Going to have to really test them out at the range.
So you didn't answer the million dollar question - would you bet your life on this pistol in .32ACP? (Assuming these lehighs' function properly).
And Im just interested in opinions. Any decision I make will be my own based on ballistics, the pistol etc.
Walt, if I was as familiar as you are with that gun, and could shoot it like you can and if those Lehigh Defense rounds fed reliably then absolutely I would be confident.
Lets be honest, common handgun carry rounds aren't blowing anyone off their feet. Accuracy trumps power. I am not volunteering to take a double tap center mass of any .32acp and especially those LD rounds.
Id take a .22lr all day every day over nothing.

I think the honest answer is you’re betting your life with any round / pistol.

A 22 mag between the eyes is better than a 45 in the thigh. If you can consistently hit with it, that’s what I’d use.
Spot-on Spotlite

I would like to see some conversation, to ponder over, about whether to carry a defensive gun or offensive.... Maybe a gun for an attacker verses a shootout. Or an all around gun. Point is, that my 380 shoots good, but it's not what I call an aiming gun. Maybe I look at it wrong. I see it it as an attacker gun. Somebody has entered my space with a knife, etc. A 15 yd gun. But given a greater distance than this and I would likely not feel inclined to shoot anybody. I would not be threatened over that distance. Over this distance sounds like a gun fight. If so, I've got the wrong weapon. So, I see it as an attacker, robber, etc gun. LOL, or a cover gun to get to my truck, then, somebody's had a bad day

Spotlite

I would like to see some conversation, to ponder over, about whether to carry a defensive gun or offensive.... Maybe a gun for an attacker verses a shootout. Or an all around gun. Point is, that my 380 shoots good, but it's not what I call an aiming gun. Maybe I look at it wrong. I see it it as an attacker gun. Somebody has entered my space with a knife, etc. A 15 yd gun. But given a greater distance than this and I would likely not feel inclined to shoot anybody. I would not be threatened over that distance. Over this distance sounds like a gun fight. If so, I've got the wrong weapon. So, I see it as an attacker, robber, etc gun. LOL, or a cover gun to get to my truck, then, somebody's had a bad day
just bought a 40 cal S&W M&P and put a 357 sig barrel on it. Absolutely love the outcome. I’m more consistent with the 357 than I am with the 40 on the same frame. I think you get both the defensive, and offensive gun in one.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/7-things-know-357-sig-sort/

Thread starter #112

WaltL1

I think it boils down to you have to make some choices based on what you think is the most likely scenario, your strategy etc.

660griz

IMHO, all handguns are basically defensive weapons. Or, a way to fight your way to a real gun. :) If I go on offense, it is going to be a long gun of some sort. I carry for defense.

Thread starter #114

WaltL1

IMHO, all handguns are basically defensive weapons. Or, a way to fight your way to a real gun. :) If I go on offense, it is going to be a long gun of some sort. I carry for defense.
I'm too old and feeble to go on offense these days.
My home defense plan is to hole up in a room with a bag of chips and a 12 gauge :rofl:

660griz

I'm too old and feeble to go on offense these days.
My home defense plan is to hole up in a room with a bag of chips and a 12 gauge :rofl:
I can't currently imagine a situation where I would go on offense.
I am more of a, "don't start none, there won't be none" kinda guy. :)
I am old too. I will be in my recliner. It rotates 360 for complete coverage. My living room turret. :)

I have always said that while I have carried concealed for 29 years and do shoot a lot in very informal training I am not the guy to save a mall full of people from Terrorists. I am no John Mclain. But I be darned if I or my family are going to die hiding in a bathroom stall because a punk or three are going around unchallenged and shooting at people who cannot fight back. I may go down quickly, who knows? I am confident that I will return all I can to keep myself, my family and anyone else who is around me as safe as I can make them in the hopes they can make it out safely.

Geno67

Home defense is a different scenario than carry or truck of course.

Me - 12" ar-15 pistol in 5.56 with red dot and irons loaded with 75 grain Interlok HD SBR Hornady Black. No muzzle flash, designed to burn quickly for use in short barrels and decreased noise signature. That one has 3 GI 30 rounders taped together. The last mag has m855. Backup is Sig sp2340 in .357 sig with red dot and siglites

Mrs. Geno - 7" ar-15 pistol in 5.56 with red dot and irons loaded with 75 grain Interlok HD SBR Hornady Black. It lives with a magpul 30 round magazine. Backup is sig p290rs with siglites.

Electronic muffs, armor and night vision are staged with all home defense tools.

Backup to the backup is 120 lb weimaraner and 55 pound dutch shepherd. I think the dutchie is capable of taking the grey ghost.

Last edited:
I purchased 4 Ruger LCP's this month. LOL, merry Christmas to the family whom all went and got Concealed carry together. 1, a LCP and the other 3 were LCP2's. The LCP 2's shoot like a dream. The trigger is crisp, just what I want for an attacker. Not so much for a shootout, LOL. But the plain LCP is awful. It's much harder to pull back, so much so my wife can't do it. And the trigger... mercy feels like a mile of travel at 12 pounds. The other 3 LCP 2's pull back smoothly, trigger very nice, and never jam. The LCP is going back to Ruger because it jams at least every other shot. I have followed the advice of several youtube vids and polished everything to a mirror shine with 3 stages of gun compound/polish. She is slick as ice.... but no change. Interesting, 1 of the 3 LCP 2's has an exceptional trigger. Better than my high dollar zev trigger of my Glock 40. Strange how one is so much more noticeable on already good triggers
I sent the LCP back to Ruger. 8 days later, I receive it back. No questions asked, they fixed it. This one is so much smoother

Thread starter #119
Home defense is a different scenario than carry or truck of course.

Me - 12" ar-15 pistol in 5.56 with red dot and irons loaded with 75 grain Interlok HD SBR Hornady Black. No muzzle flash, designed to burn quickly for use in short barrels and decreased noise signature. That one has 3 GI 30 rounders taped together. The last mag has m855. Backup is Sig sp2340 in .357 sig with red dot and siglites

Mrs. Geno - 7" ar-15 pistol in 5.56 with red dot and irons loaded with 75 grain Interlok HD SBR Hornady Black. It lives with a magpul 30 round magazine. Backup is sig p290rs with siglites.

Electronic muffs, armor and night vision are staged with all home defense tools.

Backup to the backup is 120 lb weimaraner and 55 pound dutch shepherd. I think the dutchie is capable of taking the grey ghost.
Its guys like you that make me feel under gunned and force me to go out and buy more guns :rofl: