Best 16-18' All Purpose Fishing Boat

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Here's a pic before it got that loose nut behind the steering wheel!

IMG_20130817_152633_349.jpg

It is 18' 3" nose to transom, plus the sponsons sticking out the back about 18" or 20"…
Note the 7" deep tunnel and the 7" raised transom. Jackplate good for 8" more.

run a g3 1756cc w a 70 4 stroke yamaha. tow w a 6 cylinder truck.boat sips gas. put a bimini on. great for fishing 2 or 3 guys. not something family friendly. can tow a tube w little ones. i prefer solitude away from family.thought long and hard on a small fishing pontoon. fair waether fishing only.kids and family tire very quickly of all the work involved w taking a boat out, especially on weekends. thats why u c so many yard queens. boats have to b kept up.$$$. even if u diy.

Thread starter #66

Patriot44

Saga ended for now. Stopped by to see my 87 year old Godfather today and told him that I was about to buy a new boat- He cursed me like a sailor and said 'there are two bass boats, right there, either one is yours on any day you and P44Jr wish,.... buy a crappie boat and I will thump you in the head, don't be stupid, son'! Aight!

Told me to go purchase a 'big Gulf rig so he can go south and to leave this crappie/panfish/bass stuff to him' :bounce:

Greatest generation- Gotta love em!

Cmp1

Swamp Yankee
Here's a pic before it got that loose nut behind the steering wheel!

View attachment 998747

It is 18' 3" nose to transom, plus the sponsons sticking out the back about 18" or 20"…
Note the 7" deep tunnel and the 7" raised transom. Jackplate good for 8" more.
This right here is the all purpose rig,,,,if only I was made out of money or still working,,,,

I'd be remiss if I failed to mention my affinity for Carolina Skiffs (the DLV series) as cost effective all purpose fishing boats this range. See:

https://www.carolinaskiff.com/boats/carolina-skiff/dlv-series/178-dlv

I fished in both the 17 ft and 19 ft versions and these are nice and roomy boats that can be set up in many different ways.

Browning Slayer

Official GON Forum Meme Poster
I'd be remiss if I failed to mention my affinity for Carolina Skiffs (the DLV series) as cost effective all purpose fishing boats this range. See:

https://www.carolinaskiff.com/boats/carolina-skiff/dlv-series/178-dlv

I fished in both the 17 ft and 19 ft versions and these are nice and roomy boats that can be set up in many different ways.
There’s never been a bad Carolina Skiff made! More skiffs in Florida than any other boat. And there won’t be a close 2nd.

Browning Slayer

Spend less on the boat and more on the motor. Cosmetic stuff is easy to add. Good motors on the front and back will keep you on the water and on fish with a better time for all than a “pretty” boat.

Ive never met a fellow fisherman that didn’t want a bigger engine. If they tell you they don’t. They are lying.:D

I love my 90. I wouldn’t mind having a 150!!

Last edited:
Spend less on the boat and more on the motor. Cosmetic stuff is easy to add. Good motors on the front and back will keep you on the water and on fish with a better time for all than a “pretty” boat.

Ive never met a fellow fisherman that didn’t want a bigger engine. If they tell you they don’t. They are lying.:D

Not me. Just need enough HP to get up on plane and do 20-25 MPH.

Boats today tend to be over powered. I'd probably power a 1500 lb Carolina Skiff with 60 HP max.

Dutch

This.
The 60 horse I have is adequate, but I am wanting to upgrade to a 90 horse. I met a older fella at Eufaula last year with a PT 175 similar to mine with a 115 horse...and to quote him..."I like to be able to get out of trouble as fast as I got into it". I agreed wholeheartedly with him.

Browning Slayer

Not me. Just need enough HP to get up on plane and do 20-25 MPH.

Boats today tend to be over powered. I'd probably power a 1500 lb Carolina Skiff with 60 HP max.
You mentioned the DLV Skiff earlier. If you under powered a skiff you would not be happy. I assure you. Skiff's are heavy and if any boat needs extra get up and go it's a Carolina Skiff. I owned one (for 18 years) right up until I bought the G3. A real good buddy on this forum has the same boat you mentioned with a Suzuki 90. I've fished out of the boat so many times I couldn't count. If you were in the Flats with that boat and a 60, you would lose valuable fishing time. I can run 10 miles before I hit my 1st fishing spot. I've ran from storms, went around storms and got stuck in them. I prefer to motor out and away from them now and continue to fish instead of going back in.

An undersized motor will get you in trouble more than it will get you out of trouble if you fish hard like I do.

Not sure if it’s been said as I only read the first page but I’d go with a bay boat with an aluminum trailer. I’ve owned bass boats but a bay boat can do about the same plus pull skiers with plenty of room. Add the option of putting it in saltwater and it’s a no brainer.My family and I have had a ball taking it to the gulf as well.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN MOD
Staff member
You fellas could give guy a serious case of "itchin for a boat."
I like the looks and setup on the G3.