Best .243 round for deer

Brother David

If you put the shot in the boiler room no tracking necessary . I have lost one deer with a 243 , by the way I lost 2 with my 30-06 and a 150 class wall hanger took 4 06's all double lungs

Killed 2 gooduns last year with a 243 Tikka and 95gr Federal Fusion factory ammo. First time ever with a 243 but used many different cartridges in the past. One was a really good 140" 10 at aprox 250 yards. Gun shoots the factory ammo so well that I couldn't do any better with hand loads. The Federal Fusion 95gr 243 ammo has been the most accurate factory ammo that I have ever seen, and in multiple 243's.

Ridge Rooster

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The best I have found are Winchester Power Max Bonded in 100 grain. Unfortunately, they have quit making them. I have a small stock of them held back thank goodness.

federal premium or Federal fusion 100 gr

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 243 Winchester 100 Grain Sierra GameKing Soft Point Boat Tail - really bad

Federal Fusion Ammunition 243 Winchester 95 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Moly - just as really bad

Buckstop

One thing I’ve noticed about this and most any other “best round” or bullet thread is there are a half dozen or more rounds that folks have great results with or swear by.

That tells you shot placement is WAY more important than the round.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
One thing I’ve noticed about this and most any other “best round” or bullet thread is there are a half dozen or more rounds that folks have great results with or swear by.

That tells you shot placement is WAY more important than the round.
And "energy" or "hitting power" does nothing except allow the bullet to do its job. An animal is no more or no less dead if a bullet stops just under the skin of the far side or if it blows through. The damage done along the way to arteries, organs, spine, bone and brain is what kills. Not the equivalent "hit" of what you feel on your shoulder. Except for small varmints and hollywood, bullets do not drive animals or people sideways, backwards or fling them off their feet.
Put a bullet that is designed for the job you want it to do where it needs to be and it is a short tracking job, if any.