Best and easiest food plot to plant in august

shdw633

Where are you planting, what type of soil, how big an area and what kind of equipment do you have. You could just be throwing money away if you plant in August on a small plot.

Jim Boyd

Wait until the first week in October and plant wheat and oats and clover. Peas will be fine in August, but won't last long.

# 1 answer here.

Best bang for buck.

Some folks over here in SC will plant 15-20 acres in peas or beans just to snipe some deer in mid august as the season comes in but I wait til October and put the winter plots in.

If I had to plant something in August it would be ICP, lab lab and peredoviks.

Good luck.

SakoL61R

My favorite for late July/August is a heavy planting of buckwheat. Germinates fast, likes warm soil, smothers out weeds, good soil builder, bees love it, and the deer will tear it up. Turn it at maturity late Sep and plant your small grains/clovers

Stroker

Sudan sorghum grass.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We've had good luck with Abruzzi rye the last couple years. Cheap, comes up quick, very prolific and hardy, and the deer love it. We usually plant in September, though.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Oates and clover. Too early yet though.

Good stuff ^ but like he said it's way too early. Mid September at the earliest at this point.

buckpasser

Drill some peanuts if you can find them. They’ll never make nuts that late but the deer will appreciate them and they are tolerant of heat and dry weather. Unlike peas, they’ll usually power through the heavy browsing. I’ve got a doozy of a plot of them right now bordered by a sorghum strip. It is greatly appreciated! A bag will cost around $45 for a small timer.

Bushhog Bob

Last September I planted Abruzzi Rye and the deer & turkeys used it more than the oats and winter wheat I had been planting the last few years. So I will definitly be planting the Abruzzi Rye again. It was also cheaper

oppthepop

"Big N Beasty" by a company called "Frigid Forage" - last week of August right before a HOPEFUL good rain. Lasts all year - the field in my avatar was 2019 during the hottest and driest September you can remember. And deer feasted in it all the until turkey season this year when the turnips and radishes finally rotted.

Kdog

Last September I planted Abruzzi Rye and the deer & turkeys used it more than the oats and winter wheat I had been planting the last few years. So I will definitly be planting the Abruzzi Rye again. It was also cheaper

Define cheap for Abruzzi rye, and where you are getting it.

Kdog

I bough three 50 lb. bags in Calhoun, Ga. I believe I paid $18.95 a bag. But don't quote me on it.

Let me know if you find it for that again. Best I found last year was $49.99 per 50# bag.

ReelAffair

My favorite for late July/August is a heavy planting of buckwheat. Germinates fast, likes warm soil, smothers out weeds, good soil builder, bees love it, and the deer will tear it up. Turn it at maturity late Sep and plant your small grains/clovers
If you mix it in with some ic peas, will it choke them out?