Best bass fishing rods?

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I'm stepping up my gear (again) and getting some actual tournament grade bass fishing rods. I'd stick with my current ones because they're so much less expensive, but using my more expensive saltwater rods at Lanier pointed out to me that I'm missing out performance wise. The difference was pretty evident actually. That said, I'm also a little bit forced to do it because specifically designed rods like a 7'4 flipping rod or 6'9 drop shot/shaky head rod only come from the bigger brand manufacturers and they have the right sizes. I'm looking at trying these specifically:

St. Croix Bass X casting rod
No.8 tackle blackout casting rod
Carrot stix wild orange spinning/casting
Lew's speed stick spinning/casting
Lew's mach speed stick casting rod
Duckett ghost casting
Duckett triad crankbait casting rod
Daiwa Aird - X spinning/casting

If anyone here has used any of these, or have any recommendations, some input as to how they stack up to other options would be appreciated. Just don't want to spend $129 on a rod, $79 for a reel and be disappointed.

Cadillyak

I've done carrotstix. I'd stay away. Company has been sold before and warranties take some work. St Croix for the warranty along is a better option imho. But much different price points. I have a legend Extreme and like it a lot.

jchowell90

I bought 2 duckett ghost and love them. I have a spinning and a casting. I will be purchasing more very soon. They are very light and comfortable. Im no professional Im just a pond hopper and the occasional lake fishermen. But in all I have really enjoyed the ghost rods.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I'd look at CastAway rods. Very pleased with the ones I have. I have also started using some SixGill rods and most likely will be stocking up on more in the near future.

GaMudd

I've got some old Allstar, a St Croix and the balance of my rods are the Academy Ethos store brand. The blue ones. For the money, these are great rods. You may want to check them out.

turkeyhunter835

BANNED !!!
I bought 2 duckett ghost and love them. I have a spinning and a casting. I will be purchasing more very soon. They are very light and comfortable. Im no professional Im just a pond hopper and the occasional lake fishermen. But in all I have really enjoyed the ghost rods.

I have 4 of them
7'6 extra hvy
7'6 med hvy cranking
7'3 hvy
7'0 medium

Absolutely love them all!!

Gunner308

The Diawa Aird x to me are the best for the money. Very sensitive yet have a good spine to them. I have 2 casting models. 6'6 med for flukes, top water and jerk baits and the 7'3'' MH for jigs. Duckett Ghost Med action spinning rod for shakey head and drop shot. The Duckett 7'3'' heavy casting rod is perfect for smaller swimbaits, spinner baits and fish head spins. As for crankbait rods, the yellow beef stick looking rods made by Skeet Recce you see in some Walmart stores are hard to beat for the money. Good glass rod that can handle a 5lb spot loading up on a DT10.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I've Seen the Skeet Reese rods. They're basically the defeater version of the Blair Wiggins flats blue rods I have. I'm really looking at a jig/worm rod, a cranking rod, spinner bait/jerkbait rod and a finesse spinning rod.

toyota4x4h

I like the Skeet Reese rods. I have a worm one and a swimbait one. The abu Garcia veritas are great. I just got a falcon rod for spinnerbait/chatter bait and love it. I have many diff brands and they all do the job!

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Just ordered a 7'6 blackout. I think I'll be going for a duckett triad and maybe a ghost next. I'll probably get a carrot stix spinning rod and a Lew's one.

LTZ25

I'm a St. Croix bass tournament series user but they probably could be equalled by a rod for less $ . Before those I was an avid Loomis guy . If money is a issue then you can still get great rods for around $100.00 or less .

sbroadwell

Well, I'm sorta warped by having fixed about every kind of rod made. I tend to put a lot of importance on how a rod is made - so many are just stuck together in China by someone making almost no money, who really doesn't care.
Out of all the ones you mentioned, the only one that is made well is the St. Croix. They are top notch.

Fishlipps Revisited

Well, I'm sorta warped by having fixed about every kind of rod made. I tend to put a lot of importance on how a rod is made - so many are just stuck together in China by someone making almost no money, who really doesn't care.
Out of all the ones you mentioned, the only one that is made well is the St. Croix. They are top notch.

i'll second that.....i bought one Mojo Swimbait rod....really liked it....bought another....then, bought 2 more....and, may add a couple just for spares......

$130 .....i am absolutely in LOVE with mine....

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I'm a St. Croix bass tournament series user but they probably could be equalled by a rod for less $ . Before those I was an avid Loomis guy . If money is a issue then you can still get great rods for around $100.00 or less .

That's actually why I'm getting a St. Croix bass X rod. They are made by one of the best in the business, and they're only $100. I was looking at a St. Croix Mojo also because its priced the same as the Duckett Triad. Maybe one of each. Fish one for a month or two and then pick up the other.

pbradley

St. Croix Avid, Loomis IMX, Loomis Mossyback, Castaway.

Lanier Jim

I'm an Okuma guy and love them. Okuma TCS and EVx rods are my choices. I really like the EVx series and have used them for several years now.

willie1971

I like my shimano crucial. I have several shimano rods that still perform well, some over 20 years, at all price points. Hard to beat that for the $

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Just got my no.8 blackout yesterday. By far the lightest rod I've ever had my hands on! Even more so than the flats blue and I thought THEY were like because I can balance them on one finger. Great rod, but VERY sensitive and extremely light. Has good backbone also. Think I'll pick up another.