Best bicycle for hunting WMA's and national forests

nrh0011

Looking for a dual sport or cruiser type bike that will be good for gravel roads or pavement. Primarily will be used for turkey hunting I believe. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have a mountain bike with 2” tires and it does good for most terrain. Have you thought about electric?

twincedargap

I’d say focus on the land first, let that dictate your bike choice. I ride Oaky Woods and more often in NGA mtns. Huge difference in bike requirements from size tire to suspension.

BULL MOOSE

Radrover electric bike.....they are a lot cheaper than those electric bikes promoted for hunting and very good bike. You can finance 6 months same as cash using Affirm to ease the pain.

I bought one with intentions to use hunting, then dropped off lease. But, I really like just riding the bike with the pedal assist.

shdw633

Radrover electric bike.....they are a lot cheaper than those electric bikes promoted for hunting and very good bike. You can finance 6 months same as cash using Affirm to ease the pain.

I bought one with intentions to use hunting, then dropped off lease. But, I really like just riding the bike with the pedal assist.

The new regulations now state that ebikes up to 750 watts are now allowed on Goergia WMA's during hunting season and can go anywhere a conventional bike can go now. 1000 watt bikes still have to remain on the roads though. I have a Rambo 750 and hunt with it on my lease, it's great in archery to just pull up to my stand, lay down the bike behind it and climb the ladder, really reduces the sweating I would do walking to the stand

shdw633

I assume they would still be illegal in "roadless areas"? Or foot traffic only?

Not sure about roadless areas, if a regular bike can go there than these can go there, but I would assume foot traffic only is exactly that still

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've hunted on mountain bikes for over 35 years. First was a barely over skinny tire size steel framed Schwinn MTB. I upgraded 11 years ago to a used 25 year-old hardtail alloy frame Cannondale which has 2" tires. Only complaint with it is caliper brakes which operate on tire rims and mud can cake on the brakes making them noisy. Newer bikes offer improved disc brakes mounted on spokes near hubs and front shocks. If I were to buy a new bike, which I won't, it wouldn't be the 4" wide fat tire, but would give serious consideration to the 3" sized one which could get the job done in sandy areas better than 2" where I have to dismount. There are some moderately priced foot-powered bikes that feature alloy frames, front shocks, and disc brakes. I would hate to see electric bike usage allowed where I hunt behind gates. Bikes are currently hard to find due to high usage and demand during the lockdown. Gil

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Regs are out and it appears the electric bike controversy came up with a 750watt split.

D

Deleted member 35556

Really - any mountain bike will work. I'd suggest a hard tail, with some suspension up front. A plus size tire will help for traction as well as providing additional ride softening. I ride 2-3 times a week on a plus size tire both on WMA's, dirt roads and mountain bike trails. I don't use my bike to hunt with, but the terrain is no different.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have an older trek that still rides good, but the brakes are a bit loud sometimes. I’d get me a 750 watt bike if I was in the market.

Last edited:

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I have a GT Karakoram 29er, hardtail with front suspension. I've been pretty happy with it, considering adding a e-bike kit to it since the WMA rules changed. I have a handlebar mounted gun rack just like @Nicodemus and saddle bags on the back.

NCMTNHunter

I have a strong preference for fat bike bikes for the places I ride. They take sand, mud, and snow out of the equation. The first picture is a trail ride I made with 8” of fresh snow on the ground.

3FFCF1E5-45AE-4D9A-BABB-7A59621A9D74.jpegA6F31178-8B04-4B4A-B6C0-6D402AB2F8F6.jpeg