Best Boat

2LazyHounds

Hello everyone! Recently moved to St Marys from North Carolina and was wondering what kind of boats everyone runs down here for inshore fishing. I love the idea of a flats boat, but they’re out of my price range. I was thinking maybe a v hull Jon boat? I don’t need anything crazy, just something to get me on the water without breaking the bank. Any advice is appreciated.

Cumberlandjg

Just sold my Key West 1720. Perfect inshore boat. Only sold it to get something bigger to venture farther off. Great solid made boat for inshore to the jetties.

Down4Count

I have a 17' Islander flats boat with a 90hp E-Tec, nothing fancy. Anything in the 17-21' range will do anything you need. I would not personally run a jon boat style as the chop is usually at least 2' on an average day.

2LazyHounds

I have a 17' Islander flats boat with a 90hp E-Tec, nothing fancy. Anything in the 17-21' range will do anything you need. I would not personally run a jon boat style as the chop is usually at least 2' on an average day.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn’t realize the river got that rough.

GSUbackwoods

I have a 14' fiberglass stumpknocker style boat, it has a 25hp mercury two stroke tiller and a bow mount 55lb riptide on it. I think the trolling motor was the best money I could have spent on the boat, worth every penny. Works great for everywhere I go, including crossing the sounds.

RootConservative

I fish St. Mary's in Georgia and in Florida the St Johns River down in Jax, Suwannee River, Cedar Key, Cedar Key, Steinhatchee, Stick Marsh, Rodman, Orlando area lakes all out of a 17' G3 alumnium bass boat. Never had a problem inshore fishing on it.

I am on my second boat and here is what I learned the hard way (still haven't figured it all out yet!) Boat #1 Bay Stealth 23ft, boat #2 Carolina Skiff 19ft.
1. The depth changes drastically every 6 hours, I prefer a draft of 13" or so. i.e, got trapped in a creek one time.
2. Like Down4Count said, the chop can be a little higher than most other place. Get a boat with a higher freeboard. The Bay Stealth, it was wide, low draft and tons of room. But the low freeboard got us soaked going across the sound in chop of 2ft or more.
3. Get the proper horsepower for the boat. The tide can be pretty powerful. If you go with a smaller boat with less horsepower, it can take forever going against the tide.
4. The more thrust on the trolling motor the better. Again, it helps offset the strength of the tide.

Thats what I like. Everyone will have different preferences. You more than likely wont find the perfect boat but thats okay. Make the best of what you get. AND most importantly, go as much as you can and enjoy.

marlin

Don't buy an aluminum boat. I made that mistake once. Carolina Skiff is a good boat but in a chop is rough riding and if it's the flat bottom it will wet you. A good V hulled bay boat is the best option for that area unless you want to fish offshore, over 10 to 15 miles out. If adding a trolling motor get the most thrust you can stand as far as battery storage/capacity will allow. Look at boats with storage capacity. It keeps the floor unobstructed and gear dry if caught in a rain shower. Buy what you can afford on the upper end. Buy once cry once.

2LazyHounds

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have some time to think about it before the tax return gets here. Whatever I get, it definitely won’t be a “project boat.” Made that mistake once. Basically sold it for the cost of the fish finder.

2LazyHounds

In the meantime, anyone fish off the pier in St Marys by the park? I take my daughter there regularly and never see anyone fishing.