Best Conceal Carry Pistol

across the river

I'm sure this has been hashed out on here before, but if you don't mind lets go through the exercise again. I'm not a huge pistol guy, but I am looking to get a pistol for conceal carry. I have a few including a S&W 38 I take now if feel the need to carry, but I would like to go mid-sized semi over a snub nose. Anyway, all recommendations are welcome. I have looked a quite few and have a couple in mind, but I would like to get the thoughts from you guys that have a lot of experiences with a lot of different models.

RossVegas

My carry is a Taurus PT740 slim. Carry it in a Aliengear IWB holster. It conceals very well, I sometimes even forget I've got it on me. I'm sure there is better out there, but I wanted something very concealable.

Twinkie .308

Springfield xd9 subcompact with a Hidden Hybrid holster is my everyday carry. Never thought I would like a IWB holster, but I like this combo. It can also be used as an OWB holster. I use a 13 round magazine for more comfort but you could use a larger capacity mag if you wanted and still be concealed.

Attachments

• P_20161002_214925-1200x2133.jpg
    P_20161002_214925-1200x2133.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4,067

Stump Shooter

Might want to look at the S&W Shield in 45, friend told me it was surprisingly accurate. Very thin and compact.

chainshaw

What do you consider mid sized? If it's single stack, it's tough to beat some of the slim 9mm pistols out there. Glock 43, Ruger LC9s, S&W Shield. If you are talking a little bigger, Glock 19 is the answer.

Cadcom

I have a Shield in 9mm which is an excellent carry choice. But I find myself.slipping my Glock 42 in a Desantis Nemesis holster in my pocket about 80 percent of the time. It just works really well for me.

GunnSmokeer

I downgraded from a medium sized semi auto (Taurus Millennium, generation 1) to a S&W J-frame snubby revolver. It's easier to conceal (smaller grip/handle) and fits in any pocket of any pants I might be wearing.

Yes, I gave up 10+1 (or 12 +1, depending on magazine mfg. date) capacity for just 5 shots, and that's the main disadvantage.

The sights on small revolvers stink, so I put Crimson Trace lasergrips on my little Smith.

SINCE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SEMI-AUTOS, let me tell you that I have recently held, fondled, and even rented several, and here's what I liked. All of these are available in both full size and compact size versions:

BEST FEELING IN MY HAND: Springfield XD series; Ruger SR9/ SR40 series; Smith & Wesson M&P series.

PRETTY GOOD FEEL: Glocks (19, 26/27).

oppthepop

I like my Glock 29 in the powerful 10mm. Fits me fine and has plenty of punch with Underwood 200 grain JHPs

660griz

S&W Shield in 9mm for most all carry.

TomC

I'm a Glock fanboy through and through but my favorite compact in terms of feel in the hand and concealment is a Shield 9mm. To me just feels a lot better than the small single stack Glocks. Whatever you get do yourself a favor and pick up a Cooks IWB holster.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Sig 938

Carries well inside the pants or ankle holster.

Also have a S&W Shield 9mm. It carries well but is much considerably larger than my 938.

I carried a SW bodyguard 380, but wanted to get out of the 380 caliper. Great little gun.

Knotwild

I love the 1911 in compact sizes. Easy to shoot and plenty powerful. I imagine the Springfield EMP would be really nice. I have a SIG 938, but it is really uncomfortable to shoot. So I don't practice much with it. I don't know about the other small 9's.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I love the 1911 in compact sizes. Easy to shoot and plenty powerful. I imagine the Springfield EMP would be really nice. I have a SIG 938, but it is really uncomfortable to shoot. So I don't practice much with it. I don't know about the other small 9's.

What do you find uncomfortable for the 938?

Knotwild

What do you find uncomfortable for the 938?

I find that it hammers the heel of my palm hand with hotter defensive loads and it is not too comfortable with cheaper practice stuff either. After all, it only weighs 16oz empty.

If I go out to practice defensive shooting, by the time I do through 50 rounds, I am more than ready to put it down.

I am much more attracted to my 3" 1911 which is comfortable to shoot.

Also, I have big hands and I have to concentrate on getting a consistent grip when I draw it. That's why I believe those small and powerful guns aren't for beginners or people that don't shoot much. Something a little larger is easier to control, more accurate, and not much harder to conceal.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I find that it hammers the heel of my palm hand with hotter defensive loads and it is not too comfortable with cheaper practice stuff either. After all, it only weighs 16oz empty.

If I go out to practice defensive shooting, by the time I do through 50 rounds, I am more than ready to put it down.

I am much more attracted to my 3" 1911 which is comfortable to shoot.

Also, I have big hands and I have to concentrate on getting a consistent grip when I draw it. That's why I believe those small and powerful guns aren't for beginners or people that don't shoot much. Something a little larger is easier to control, more accurate, and not much harder to conceal.

Makes sense. I am a small guy so the pistol fits me better.

I carry a Springfield XDs 45 and the wife has a S&W Shield 9mm with green laser Crimson trace. Both shoot great and both are accurate.

Knotwild

I have a friend who just bought a Glock 43 and I really want to shoot it when he has time.