Best coondog you ever hunted with??

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I believe hardwood buster and Dan I mentioned earlier were sons and grandsons of hardwood bozo

TurkeyH90

Back in college my buddy owned an English male out of Hillbilly Mike. Best I ever saw and I've hunted with some dogs that won World Hunt, Purina, GA state, etc. Ironically me and him went up to the UKC Feist World hunt in 21. Which my buddy actually won with Cope. Funny thing is our guide tuned out to be Leroy Gamble.

Hillbilly stalker

“Best” is relevant to what you like I reckon. Some guys like dogs you unsnap and go get them out from underneath a coon no matter where they go or what county they end up in. That’s the influence competition hunting has had on hounds. Personally I don’t care for that myself. Several years ago I hunted with an older gentleman that was a retired Sc Trooper. He had an old grade dog ( not registered) that was my ideal of a real good coon dog. He wasn’t a barn burner that set the woods on fire and threw gravel in your face when you cut him loose….but he was a straight up good coon dog. He was a Walker dog with alot of extra white on him. When you cut him loose, he would go over there and wet a bush and just slink off into the night. He would go out there and cut about a 600 yard circle and check back in if he didn’t strike. If you sent him back again he would get deeper. He would tree a lot of coon and never ran trash that I seen. If you turned him loose with other dogs and they struck….he would check them out, if “Hunter” came back to the truck and loaded Up, you needed to start cutting a hickory because the other dogs were trashing. He was what we called a good “ check dog”. With land getting more scarce to find to hunt, he was worth a million dollars to me. That was before Garmin’s, our tracking system was often standing on the dog box with a transmission funnel held up to your ear.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
“Best” is relevant to what you like I reckon. Some guys like dogs you unsnap and go get them out from underneath a coon no matter where they go or what county they end up in. That’s the influence competition hunting has had on hounds. Personally I don’t care for that myself. Several years ago I hunted with an older gentleman that was a retired Sc Trooper. He had an old grade dog ( not registered) that was my ideal of a real good coon dog. He wasn’t a barn burner that set the woods on fire and threw gravel in your face when you cut him loose….but he was a straight up good coon dog. He was a Walker dog with alot of extra white on him. When you cut him loose, he would go over there and wet a bush and just slink off into the night. He would go out there and cut about a 600 yard circle and check back in if he didn’t strike. If you sent him back again he would get deeper. He would tree a lot of coon and never ran trash that I seen. If you turned him loose with other dogs and they struck….he would check them out, if “Hunter” came back to the truck and loaded Up, you needed to start cutting a hickory because the other dogs were trashing. He was what we called a good “ check dog”. With land getting more scarce to find to hunt, he was worth a million dollars to me. That was before Garmin’s, our tracking system was often standing on the dog box with a transmission funnel held up to your ear.
Sounds like the ideal dog to me nowadays. I used to love a dog who who'd get by itself and get deep. Those days are over.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
When I was a teen Dad got a little Redbone female. She was too small to be that fighter under the tree type dog. I know I’m bias but she was my idea of a great hound. Handled like a dream, call, load, she was so easy to hunt with. The best part was her nose, she was amazing. Several times she struck while I had her on the lead. She‘d throw her head up and strike. Turn her loose she would go a short distance and tree. She was patient and taught a teenage boy to coon hunt. Hides were bringing a little money back then so Lady, me and a .22 spent a few nights earning spending money. My job was to make sure they fell out dead. She generally hunted close and went deeper with every cast. She was a meat dog not a trial dog.

Stacked coons in a spare fridge, tossed them in the truck bed on Saturday and take them to the processor whole. After I left home I’d go get her and we would hunt together again. She slept many a night in my bedroom.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I never got into the competition hunting, not my thing at all. And there were no tracking systems when I was hunting. Right about the time I got out of the bear hound business, folks were starting to get those radio collars where you stood there and held the big antenna up in the air and it beeped louder when you pointed it in the direction of the dog. We always just walked the ridges and used our ears as our location system.

specialk

man you making me dig up old memories.....i had a 2 collar tracking system that was made with a folding Yagi antennae with the tacking box attached.....the collars had little magnets that would cut the collars on and off, but were rechargeable ....the little box would beep and you'd sweep it around in a circle and when you were pointing in the right direction it would go to beeping faster....i believe the were Wildlife Telemetry.....saved a whole lot of driving around.....

specialk

Yeah, I never got into the competition hunting, not my thing at all. And there were no tracking systems when I was hunting. Right about the time I got out of the bear hound business, folks were starting to get those radio collars where you stood there and held the big antenna up in the air and it beeped louder when you pointed it in the direction of the dog. We always just walked the ridges and used our ears as our location system.

never did like the comp hunts either.....they bred fast running walkers to get in quick and tree quick, calling your dog when he had the track and finally treed the coon.... much as competition of the hunter as it was the dog.....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
never did like the comp hunts either.....they bred fast running walkers to get in quick and tree quick, calling your dog when he had the track and finally treed the coon.... much as competition of the hunter as it was the dog.....
Yep. I just don't see hunting or fishing as competition sports to begin with.

Hillbilly stalker

man you making me dig up old memories.....i had a 2 collar tracking system that was made with a folding Yagi antennae with the tacking box attached.....the collars had little magnets that would cut the collars on and off, but were rechargeable ....the little box would beep and you'd sweep it around in a circle and when you were pointing in the right direction it would go to beeping faster....i believe the were Wildlife Telemetry.....saved a whole lot of driving around.....
We called those the “ beep beep” collars. Back in the day they were the cats meow

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Johnson collars were the best. Had the tree switches in em so they beeped twice as fast when the dog was looking up.

specialk

i had a male english dog colored like a bluetick, nice pleasure dog....my favorite was a true bluetick, had some of dave dean's hammer dog blood in him...that was back in the late 80's.....heard he passed away several years ago.....

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
i had a male english dog colored like a bluetick, nice pleasure dog....my favorite was a true bluetick, had some of dave dean's hammer dog blood in him...that was back in the late 80's.....heard he passed away several years ago.....
Dave Dean from Dowling, Michigan. Cool ole dude. Black hat and sunglasses always.

Mauser

Best pleasure dog I ever hunted with was a blue tick named hammer. Batman from Damascus owned him. Wasn’t a speed demon, but when he locked down you could bet the farm there was a coon, however far that maybe.Competition dog was a Walker dog,Tar Rattler Joe owned by Dale Brown from Blakely. He could flat do it. And let another dog jump on him at the tree lol. He was slick, soon as he saw light’s coming he turned into an angel. He didn’t start a fight, he just finished it.