Best corded Random Orbital Sander?

Artfuldodger

I was leaning towards a corded Dewalt although I'm not fond of their battery tools. Someone mentioned Makita, I've had good luck with Bosch tools. Does it need to be variable speed? I've never used one before.
I have a 1/4 sheet palm sander which is mostly a finishing sander and a belt sander so i'm looking for something in between.
I don't do that much wood working any more but when you need a tool, you need it. The random orbital sander looks to be more versatile.

Artfuldodger

Dewalt 5 inch is what I have. Several years old and works like new. Also home depot Ridge brand is also good.
If you mean Ridgid, I've uses some of their battery drills, etc. Plus a heap of their pipe wrenches. I'll look at that one as well, It's a full 3 amps and is variable speed, Thanks!
Edit; I went back and looked as some of the reviews of the Ridgid. It looks like it's quality may have diminished over the past few years which is not unusual these days.

Last edited:

hipster dufus

For something u will use sparingly, harbor freight it

Artfuldodger

For something u will use sparingly, harbor freight it
I actually thought about that, I have some Harbor Freight tools and they work OK for occasional use.
They have a Hercules branded 3.0amp for $59.99. It gets some bad reviews concerning the dust collector plastic clips and the sandpaper not staying on the pad.
I can get a Ryobi for $10 more. Harbor Freight does have a Bauer for $39.99. It doesn't get the best reviews either. It would be OK to catch it half price.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
They’re all the same. Some days the Chinamen use yellow plastic, some days red plastic, some days blue plastic, etc.. If it’s casual use, no difference. If it’s an everyday tool. Go pneumatic and buy a dynabrade..

TomC

Not a fan of Dewalt cordless tools because of their batteries but if its got a cord on it it would either be a Dewalt or a Bosch. Got a bunch of yellow and blue corded tools, all of them good particularly the blue sander!

madsam

porter cable for me -use mine weekly. I did just buy the 6" Bosch for big projects.
Great Product . As far as dewalt , quit buying 10 yrs. ago. Battery life and price is
a negative.

AllanS

I'm a carpenter and have been for 40 years. I use the Porter Cable corded in the shop. On site I use the Rigid 18V cordless, it matches my 10,000 other Rigid tools, no other reason, it does well. Most cabinet shops I have been in use the Porter cable corded. I always recommend Harbor freight for those that may use the tool once a year or Ryobi for those that will use the tool more often by not weekly. You usually get what you pay for. They way I figger is simple if the tool isn't going to pay for itself then spend as little as possible to get the job at hand done.

ilbcnu

Ridgid has lifetime warranties, even on Batteries. Milwaukee man myself.

Doboy Dawg

I have three Dewalt random orbital sanders with hundreds of hours. I’ve replaced pads and drive belts, still running strong. I have a Porter Cable one that’s just as good.

I bought one Ryobi tool, a random orbital sander. It lasted 30 minutes before it slung the guts out and fried. Threw it in the trash and haven’t bought another Ryobi tool.

I bought one electric power tool from Harbor Freight, had the same results as Ryobi. I steer clear of those brands electric tools.

Doboy Dawg

I have three Dewalt random orbital sanders with hundreds of hours. I’ve replaced pads and drive belts, still running strong. I have a Porter Cable one that’s just as good.

I bought one Ryobi tool, a random orbital sander. It lasted 30 minutes before it slung the guts out and fried. Threw it in the trash and haven’t bought another Ryobi tool.

I bought one electric power tool from Harbor Freight, had the same results as Ryobi. I steer clear of those brands electric tools.

Doboy Dawg