Best day of my brief trapping career

buckpasser

This morning started out right! I’ve had a coyote set out for 3 weeks by the house. I only left it out because it’s so convenient to check and I haven’t really had any rain to mess it up. The coyotes initially checked it out, then left it alone. I’ve rebaited 3 times to no avail. The last time I just put some frog scraps and a few old frozen chicken livers in the hole but the coons grabbed them almost immediately.

This morning before work I noticed the very large track I’ve been seeing trotting down the field edge towards the set. When I was around 75 yards away, my view was still blocked but I knew I was in business based on the quantity of sand flying up above the cotton!

This ol boy was waiting on me, and very aggressive compared to some I’ve caught.

EC45AB8C-A732-4D65-8629-4CDB3E053A08.jpeg

After arriving at work I went to check on a conibear and snare setup I had going on a new pond my boss recently acquired. The dam is Swiss cheese and I set on some pretty weak slides early last week to try and get the situation under control. To my surprise the morning got even brighter with this young lad waiting in the conibear! Just when I get a bit uncertain about my sets, this seems to happen and put me back it beast mode. I can’t say enough just how fun this trapping has turned out to be!

F7CE2B55-85DF-49BA-94F1-6975AFECB286.png

Doug B.

Great job! That boosted your confidence level I bet. Keep setting em and keep catching em!!!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great day for sure , I just ordered me some more bait and a few supplies myself .

blt152

Patience prevails. Good things come to those that wait. Nice looking yote.
Tight chains!!

mossyoakpro

Congrats!! Nothing like seeing a coyote bouncing in a trap. I never get tired of that sight!!

buckpasser

Congrats!! Nothing like seeing a coyote bouncing in a trap. I never get tired of that sight!!

I was just thinking about that today. I was scared the first one I caught was just a mirage. I drove my truck through all kinds of crap instead of using the field road in fear he might pull out! It was a high much like a first deer or turkey. It’s still new and I’m in the single digits EVER, but this last one was still a major rush. I hope it stays like that.

The beavers, coons and bobcats are a good sight, but there’s just something about a coyote.

buckpasser

Also, I’ve got the coyote hide skinned, fleshed and salted. I was thinking of using Moyle Mink and Tannery for a soft tan. Anyone else have a suggestion?