Best Georgia places for Walleye and Yellow perch?

vaindioux

Hi

Web searches turn up different things, I figured I would ask here. I am 1 hour from Blue ridge lake. I know there is Nottely and Hiawassee too. I know Georgia is not the walleye fishing capital of the US, but I know chances increase up there, no?
Walleyes are my main target, then if yellow perch are present that's second. That's for in the spring, not now.

Thanks

Pat

ryork

I believe Rocky Mount PFA between Rome and Summerville is or was stocked with walleye.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Lanier has walleye as well.

vaindioux

Hi

I would like to rent a motorized boat comparable sizewise to a John boat. Blue ridge does not have them, just kayaks and then we move to pontoons. I haven't looked at the other locations yet.
Shore would be fine too as long as lots of access, I hate fishing from a hundred feet section with 10 other fishermen. I would rather stay home.
I have been to Carter's lake a long time ago and caught from a ramp my 2nd largest bass ever on a daredevil spoon, I thought I was reeling in a tree trunk. I was so happy that I was screaming at all the boats in the distance to look at it. They must have thought "Who is that nut?" LOL
Anyway Carter's lake I think as more shore access as they are not allowed to build there. No?

Thxs, I will look into the other spots mentioned.

Pat

seachaser

I live on the north end of Lanier for a couple yrs and early spring you can get some walleye in the Chestatee river. I never did real good but did avg a couple each trip.

lampern

Big Walleye from Rocky Mountain PFA
: (From Fisheries Biologist John Damer) — Angler Dennis Shiley caught a really nice walleye this week on an underspin at West Antioch Lake, one of the three public lakes at Rocky Mountain Public Fishing Area (PFA). Dennis’s catch weighed 6 lb 9 oz and measured just under 26 inches, which was more than enough to qualify Dennis for an angler award. Rocky Mountain PFA is unique, as it is the only PFA in the state that is stocked annually with walleye. Recent sampling shows a healthy population of these toothy predators at both East and West Antioch Lakes, and now is the time for catching big pre-spawn fish like the one Dennis snagged. Target low light periods (dawn, dusk, and cloudy days) and fish slow or use a vertical presentation for your best shot at getting your own trophy walleye.

little rascal

GON did an article long time ago on Carters I think. In the lake reports there used to be mention a lot about bass fisherman fishing long the rip rap dam with shad raps etc., at night and catching a lot of small walleye when the move up shallow.
Small is what I would prefer for eating. Up here WV we have walleye, I don't catch any because I am a daytime fisherman. And I am not used to fishing as deep up here as you need to. I finally caught my first one last summer though.
I can tell ya where a lot of Yellow Perch are, but not Wally's.

little rascal

The Chattahoochee above the dam is very good around the grassbeds and back in the lakes. Etowah river below toona dam has been coming along last several years, they are catching some nice size yellows there, you'll have to share with spanish folks, they are lined down the banks a lot.

UncleIcy

OP, if you can get dialed in on 'em, Clarks Hill has got very good numbers of yellow perch, and the best places to catch them are accessible by canoe or kayak. A week or 2 after the crappie really get going you can cruise along parallel to shoreline in 8-12 feet of water pulling small jigs till you find one. Once you catch one, anchor and start pullin.