Best Grill Under $200

gtmcwhorter

Hey guys my old Barrel style propane grill has finally kicked the bucket. I’d like to stay under $200. We are a family of four (two of which are young girls) so we don’t need anything huge. I’m drawn to propane just because it’s so quick I’m not anti charcoal. What do you guys think is the best option out there? I found a used egg type with a table on Craigslist for $300 but used grills kinda scare me.

ol bob

Craigslist New Holland or Phoenix last for ever.Try to find a Phoenix they are made of heavy stainless.

GA1dad

I have to keep a propane grill on hand as that's what my wife wants to use when she cooks outside. All the charcoal grills and smokers I have sitting around are just for me.

In my opinion, inexpensive propane grills around $200 are pretty much all the same quality. There is very little difference in them. Just find one that appeals to your personal taste. This is a good time to be shopping for one as the big box stores will begin dropping their prices as the weather cools down.

Enjoy shopping for your new grill!!!

Patriot44

Banned
I would throw another fiddy and get an Akorn, hands down. Christmas sales will be happening soon and maybe can get one cheaper. I PROMISE you that you will not be disappointed. Probably the best grill that I have ever used and am mad at myself that I waited so long.

Dub

I've seen the 2-burner Weber gas grills on sale lately....not for $200, though....but not unreasonably high. Very versatile grill that will last and parts will be easy to find year after year.

My Dad bought one last year and really likes it. I cooked some wings on it recently and they turned out really nicely.

For under $200 the absolute best money you can spend on a grills is a 22" Weber kettle and a charcoal chimney (I suggest both...the small & the large versions).

There is almost nothing that you can't grill or smoke on that thing.

Simple vents....easy to control air flow/temps.

The chimney will have you a hot bed of coals in under 20 mins.

Hard to beat the simplicity of the gasser. I want one for my deck....but it's just not a high priority since I have other grills to run with.

Artfuldodger

I have a Weber 22" Kettle I bought at Goodwill for $20.00. I found a Weber gas grill curbside for free. It needed flame tamers. I put lava rocks in it. I also have an Ugly Drum Smoker. Probably got $40.00 in it for parts and paint.
It makes food taste smokey just using regular charcoal. I think it's the meat fat dripping directly on the charcoal that does it.

Anyway the OP said he wanted propane. I use whichever grill I'm in the mood for. The propane is nice for quick stuff like hamburgers and steaks. I mean you are only going to use about 12 minutes of heat anyway.
The propane is also nice when the power goes off. You can put a frying pan on the cooking grate if it doesn't have a side burner.
I put my harrow disk on the propane cooking grate and cook bacon on it. That works better for bacon than putting it on a burner.

These got good reviews on one site I found;

Here is a gas drum style;
https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-3001-Grillin-800-BTU-Grill/dp/B001H9RPNI?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAINYWQL7SPW7D7JCA&tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001H9RPNI&ascsubtag=334940|google.com||||1|

Cheap Home Depot grill;
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgril...-Burner-and-Black-Cabinet-720-0888N/300025261

A really cheap Char-Broil;
https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Classic-3-Burner-Liquid-Propane/dp/B01HITNEEE?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAINYWQL7SPW7D7JCA&tag=aboutcom02thespruceeats-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01HITNEEE&ascsubtag=334940|google.com||||1|

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Char-griller Outlaw barrel type charcoal one that I use several times a week, and that's including the fact that I also own an Akorn and a Blackstone. It's my go-to for actual grilling as opposed to smoking. It's about $193 at Lowe's, and also has cast-iron grates. I love mine. You can also put a side firebox on it for offset smoking, and can get rotisseries and stuff for it.

grill.jpg

It doesn't take but about 10-15 minutes to get a chimney of charcoal lit and dumped. SO much better than a gas grill that there is not even any comparison. No flare-ups like you get on the gasser if you try to cook more than two burgers at a time, either. And much better flavor on your food. And if you keep it dry, it will last many years longer than a gas grill with none of the associated problems they are always having.

killerv

Those larger chargrillers can be had for 129 almost everyday at lowes. The smokebox on the side is a waste of money...so I don't advise looking at that model. If you use them a lot though, may only get 3 years out of one. I think its the best bang for the buck though. I wore mine out. My buddy got one of the nicer weber kettle and hated it, so I got it from him for 50 and he went back to his chargrillers that he had been using for years.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great advice and suggestion above!

That said don't go buy no Akorn, cause once you do, you'll be ruint!!!!! :D Love my Akorn.

GA1dad

Artfuldodger

Those larger chargrillers can be had for 129 almost everyday at lowes. The smokebox on the side is a waste of money...so I don't advise looking at that model. If you use them a lot though, may only get 3 years out of one. I think its the best bang for the buck though. I wore mine out. My buddy got one of the nicer weber kettle and hated it, so I got it from him for 50 and he went back to his chargrillers that he had been using for years.
It took me awhile to get the hang of my Weber kettle. I like it OK now. I can't say it's any better than a drum style gas grill. When I had a drum type I'd put the charcoal on one end and a butt on the chimney end.

The Vortex cone thing looks like a good option with a charcoal kettle grill. You can put the charcoal in the cone or outside the cone depending on what you are cooking.

When the bottom of my drum grill rusted out, I cut a section of a 30 gal drum out and made a boot patch for it. Like people used to tires and shoes back in the day.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I read some complaints about this propane grill being bad to flare up because the flame tamers aren't angled enough.

Do propane grills tend to flare up more than charcoal? I've always used lava rocks instead of flame tamers but even with them chicken will drip a lot and cause flare-ups.

I don't think it matters much with steaks or hamburgers.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller...=B001H9RPNI&ascsubtag=334940|google.com||||1|

GA1dad

As in kamado type grill? If so, I've heard nothing but good about them. Especially if it is in your budget.

Dub

Any of you guys familiar with the Primo Grills? I seem to have come across a decent deal on one of those used.

They are top notch ceramic kamado grills. Primo is one of the 'big three' in ceramic kamado grills: Big Green Egg, Primo and Kamado Joe. There are a heap of others that have come onto the scene as well as the mighty Komodo Kamado ($5,000-$15,000).

Extremely easy to cook on because the run very steady with minimal work required from the operator. You'll be able to smoke overnight briskets & butts......or do pizzas, burgers, wings and the like with supreme ease.

Here is the catch......when bought new they come with a lifetime warranty.

Ceramic parts will fail at some point...fail by cracking. I'm running a Kamado Joe right now that has a cracked firebox. They sent me a new one without delay, but encouraged me to keep running the old one until it worsened.

I would never buy a ceramic kamado unless I could secure the lifetime warranty with it, too. That's just me, though. Others may have different opinions.

I've owned the Akorn and three Kamado Joes. Kamado grills are super easy to cook on and the ceramics are even easier.

gtmcwhorter

They are top notch ceramic kamado grills. Primo is one of the 'big three' in ceramic kamado grills: Big Green Egg, Primo and Kamado Joe. There are a heap of others that have come onto the scene as well as the mighty Komodo Kamado ($5,000-$15,000).

Extremely easy to cook on because the run very steady with minimal work required from the operator. You'll be able to smoke overnight briskets & butts......or do pizzas, burgers, wings and the like with supreme ease.

Here is the catch......when bought new they come with a lifetime warranty.

Ceramic parts will fail at some point...fail by cracking. I'm running a Kamado Joe right now that has a cracked firebox. They sent me a new one without delay, but encouraged me to keep running the old one until it worsened.

I would never buy a ceramic kamado unless I could secure the lifetime warranty with it, too. That's just me, though. Others may have different opinions.

I've owned the Akorn and three Kamado Joes. Kamado grills are super easy to cook on and the ceramics are even easier.

This one is 8 years old, which scares me, but it looks to be in really good shape. Was owned by an older fella who obviously didn't use it much.

Dub

And Per the primo website the warranty is non transferable

There is the catch.

8 years on the hardware is a period of time when rust and other things may come into play.

You'd have to be able to look closely at the lid & base and make determinations of what is normal crazing vs actual cracks.

The internals will be easier to examine......look at the internal ports and edges...the cracks will begin there.

Find out if Primo is currently offering replacement parts for the model and see what the prices are.

Not trying to scare you off, by any means....just passing along my experience with ceramic kamado grills. Parts will fail at some point. I've used my warranty to have them replaced very quickly....never even been down a weekend.

I'd submit that a well functioning kamado grill will likely be the perfect grill for any small family.

The only downside is the non-portability of it.....and the nature of ceramics (they have excellent cooking properites....think pizza oven....but they will crack at some point....could be 5 months or 5 years.

It fires up quickly and as stated before...can cook anything. If you can cook it in an oven, then you can easily do so in a kamado.