Best Hog Dog Breed

Been around a lot of dog breeds for a lot of reasons over the years and I'm really struggling with the family pet and hog hunting dog... I've never hunted hogs with dogs but I've been around people who breed hog dogs and they aren't pets.

Now .. setting aside hog hunting, I'm a long time rhodesian ridgeback guy myself and they'll hit most of your criteria - marathon running wife can run with them, they're wonderful with families and kids, protective but not aggressive, sleep for long stretches, fantastic wilderness companions, tough as nails, intelligent ... and they certainly would be capable of hunting hogs. I would never do it because they're family pets and I love them way too much to see them gored open by a boar, but rhodesians are physical monsters capable of unbelievable things.

They are also not for everyone, are difficult to train, and require a firm, steady, loving, consistent, gentle hand as if you lose their trust, they are done with you. For something so ruthlessly tough that will unconditionally jump between you and danger, they have sensitive souls.

If you do want to try to hit both criteria, i think your best bet is a blackmouth cur or a treeing walker - friend of mine swears by them as bay dogs and you could conceivably have one as a pet. Got some Elvis in 'em though, so hope you appreciate a bit of crooning.

Good luck!
Man walks a fine line with a dog. To me the dog is everything to the man. The dog works, protects, and loves, he is loved and needed. He puts himself in danger, and sometimes with our own primitive nature we put him in danger engaging in our hobbies. Its a strong relationship that goes way back in the friendships dna I believe.

A true dogman knows every single time he cuts a dog loose....that may be the very last time they see them alive. It’s a grim reality. But to keep one shut up in a fenced in yard or pen is worse....it’s what their bred to do.
Man, thinking about getting a new working dog and this is one of the things that gets me everytime.
I am a catahoula man, but never worked them outside of runs and household stuff. Time to get a woods dog... but that paragraph is a real fear.

oldways

I would do anything for the ones I had if they bayed or caught I was going in without hesitation I have even crosses water between them and a pretty good gator because I knew he was there. But that being said I knew every time the box open they might not be back but they would go out with there boots on. That's why I would put a 300 dollar GPS collar on a 200 dollar dog.

I would do anything for the ones I had if they bayed or caught I was going in without hesitation I have even crosses water between them and a pretty good gator because I knew he was there. But that being said I knew every time the box open they might not be back but they would go out with there boots on. That's why I would put a 300 dollar GPS collar on a 200 dollar dog.
Yes sir I very much agree that is the way the game goes I didn’t pay a penny for any of the 4 I have but they all catch and have 5-600 on them every time they hit the woods seen me get hit by gators snakes hogs cars had em drown picked me up from a race and had me fall over dead . U are right every time u put 1 out could be the last time

Man, thinking about getting a new working dog and this is one of the things that gets me everytime.
I am a catahoula man, but never worked them outside of runs and household stuff. Time to get a woods dog... but that paragraph is a real fear.
I have seen way more dogs get killed by things other then hogs and that’s running hounds curs and running catch dogs it is a very dangerous sport do what u can to protect your dog and hope he makes it out alive. Some will see retirement age and some won’t had a friend of mine bought a dog had it 2 years it got killed and he sold every dog he had and never went hunting again best advice I can give you is if you get into learn how to stitch and staple and keep everything in your truck

Last edited:
I have seen way more dogs get killed by things other then hogs and that’s running hounds curs and running catch dogs it is a very dangerous sport do what u can to protect your dog and hope he makes it out alive. Some will see retirement age and some won’t had a friend of mine bought a dog had it 2 years it got killed and he sold every dog he had and never went hunting again best advice I can give you is if you get into learn how to stitch and staple and keep everything in your truck
Thanks. I've stitched and stapled several animals in the past as part of the research I used to do. I think my biggest hurdle will be if I ever get a dog to work is to convince the woman and my boys that the dog'll be ok.

Thanks. I've stitched and stapled several animals in the past as part of the research I used to do. I think my biggest hurdle will be if I ever get a dog to work is to convince the woman and my boys that the dog'll be ok.

oldways

Yep I think you have a hurdle to jump with that the boys will probably go along with you but mama may not.. Good luck Its hard to hunt a family dog I have only had to that I retired most were lost to snake bites and highways.

Yes sir I do understand I have 6 kids myself and I only hunt with them and my ole lady now days . Wasn’t sure how she was gonna take it first time she seen 1 get cut when she did the only thing she said was that she understands why I tell them all the time that anytime we go could be the last for the dogs

Best breed is one that will bay until you tell it to catch. Have seen some mixed up dogs that were mighty good hog dogs. Best I ever had was Airedale/Redbone cross. Had two of em. Both named Butch so I only had to call once to get both to come.

Best breed is one that will bay until you tell it to catch. Have seen some mixed up dogs that were mighty good hog dogs. Best I ever had was Airedale/Redbone cross. Had two of em. Both named Butch so I only had to call once to get both to come.
Hog dogs have great names ... I’ve hunted with a Fancy , fish stick , ashtray , pale face , junkyard, Bonnie ,Ginger , Bacon , Tank , That’s just a few but ,,, 2 named Butch that’s awesome!!!