Best Hog Dog Breed

Man, thinking about getting a new working dog and this is one of the things that gets me everytime.
I am a catahoula man, but never worked them outside of runs and household stuff. Time to get a woods dog... but that paragraph is a real fear.
I have seen way more dogs get killed by things other then hogs and that’s running hounds curs and running catch dogs it is a very dangerous sport do what u can to protect your dog and hope he makes it out alive. Some will see retirement age and some won’t had a friend of mine bought a dog had it 2 years it got killed and he sold every dog he had and never went hunting again best advice I can give you is if you get into learn how to stitch and staple and keep everything in your truck

Last edited:
I have seen way more dogs get killed by things other then hogs and that’s running hounds curs and running catch dogs it is a very dangerous sport do what u can to protect your dog and hope he makes it out alive. Some will see retirement age and some won’t had a friend of mine bought a dog had it 2 years it got killed and he sold every dog he had and never went hunting again best advice I can give you is if you get into learn how to stitch and staple and keep everything in your truck
Thanks. I've stitched and stapled several animals in the past as part of the research I used to do. I think my biggest hurdle will be if I ever get a dog to work is to convince the woman and my boys that the dog'll be ok.

Thanks. I've stitched and stapled several animals in the past as part of the research I used to do. I think my biggest hurdle will be if I ever get a dog to work is to convince the woman and my boys that the dog'll be ok.

Yes sir I do understand I have 6 kids myself and I only hunt with them and my ole lady now days . Wasn’t sure how she was gonna take it first time she seen 1 get cut when she did the only thing she said was that she understands why I tell them all the time that anytime we go could be the last for the dogs

Son

Best breed is one that will bay until you tell it to catch. Have seen some mixed up dogs that were mighty good hog dogs. Best I ever had was Airedale/Redbone cross. Had two of em. Both named Butch so I only had to call once to get both to come.

Blackston

Best breed is one that will bay until you tell it to catch. Have seen some mixed up dogs that were mighty good hog dogs. Best I ever had was Airedale/Redbone cross. Had two of em. Both named Butch so I only had to call once to get both to come.
Hog dogs have great names ... I’ve hunted with a Fancy , fish stick , ashtray , pale face , junkyard, Bonnie ,Ginger , Bacon , Tank , That’s just a few but ,,, 2 named Butch that’s awesome!!!