Best Hog Dog Breed

Alright yall, I'm FINALLY about to get out of this god forsaken apartment and get my first house here in Georgia. Wife and I agreed that it's time we get ourselves a dog. What's your favorite bay dog for hog hunting and why? Any that could double as a family pet so long as they get plenty of exercise (wife is a marathon runner) would get bonus points!

Thanks for your input and sorry if this has been addressed before.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Haven't seen this little guy before, looks like a more rugged Jack Russell Terrier.

They are, by a long shot. A good friend of mine has one and uses her on hogs here in Southwest Georgia. Another friend has one and use it on European boar in Romania.

Hillbilly stalker

Alright yall, I'm FINALLY about to get out of this god forsaken apartment and get my first house here in Georgia. Wife and I agreed that it's time we get ourselves a dog. What's your favorite bay dog for hog hunting and why? Any that could double as a family pet so long as they get plenty of exercise (wife is a marathon runner) would get bonus points!

Thanks for your input and sorry if this has been addressed before.
You might wanna get in on a hog dog hunt or 2 before you buy one. I think you might be surprised how it’s done. The guys who do it prefer Blackmouth Cur’s, catahoulas, or mixed up dogs for bay dogs, some jadgs and others breeds including bird dog mixes.

Thanks gents.

Thoughts on either of these guys doubling as a family pet? We're planning to have a decent size (1-2 acre) back yard and have one of us jog or bike with the dog daily. From my research, looks like a bay dog would be a lot easier to have around young kids if you're diligent on training.

You might wanna get in on a hog dog hunt or 2 before you buy one. I think you might be surprised how it’s done. The guys who do it prefer Blackmouth Cur’s, catahoulas, or mixed up dogs for bay dogs, some jadgs and others breeds including bird dog mixes.

Thanks brother, I've done one hog dog hunt. It was with an outfitter and I gotta tell ya, I wasn't super thrilled with the conditions the dogs were in. They were definitely not part-time hog dogs/part-time family pets. I know there's an older school thought behind hunting dogs but personally I couldn't have a dog whose only job was to hunt. Sadly, wife wouldn't sign off on that either. Anyway, they were using mutts and were purely baying with them, no catch dogs. Not sure the breed mix they were using, been a couple years back.

Hillbilly stalker

All the hog dogs I’ve been around we’re a “ruffer grittier” type dog. They have to be, their gonna get hurt or killed sooner or later. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one be an inside pet and hog dog. Ain’t saying it couldn’t happen.

All the hog dogs I’ve been around we’re a “ruffer grittier” type dog. They have to be, their gonna get hurt or killed sooner or later. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one be an inside pet and hog dog. Ain’t saying it couldn’t happen.

I hear ya. It definitely makes sense. Was thinking about a pointer-type breed (GSP, GWP) as I know they're a little "softer" and can typically double as "pets" so to speak. But that said, I know being bred for pointing birds in thick brush vs. chasing a hog are two totally different things. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little advice if your considering hog hunting your dog you may not want to use the family pet sometimes they don't make it home. Good luck with whatever you decide.
This. I've seen some mighty good , mighty mean bear dogs bred and raised and trained for fighting bears killed or cut to ribbons by our local Russian wild boars.

I sure do appreciate the advice fellas. Tough going finding a good breed that'll double as a family pet and hunting dog outside of duck fetchers!

Seems like there's some pretty good options out there for hog dog cut "armor", dunno if buying a premium set would change the equation at all.

Todd E

Please don't do like some of the rogue dog hunters do........and run "bay" dogs all over everybody elses property.

I'm a fan only of running catch dogs (crosses). Hunt to the line and go home.

Hillbilly stalker

If your wanting a pet/ hunting dog, You might look into a squirrel dog. Lots of people keep their feist in the house. Those and labs are about the only dogs that come with a on & off switch. Your not going to be successful hog hunting with a single dog, squirrels on the other hand are plentiful and a safer to hunt with just you and the one dog. Nobody gets cut.....unless you pick up a HOT one. Ask me how I know.:biggrin2: And its about the most fun you can have with your britches on.:banana:

Appreciate the insight and it makes sense you'd need a little squad of dogs for hog hunting. Just really enjoy hunting hogs and thought I'd see if there was a good breed that'd double as the family pet. Wife and I both really love GSP/GWPs but sadly there isn't much of a bird hunting game in GA as I've sadly come to learn through experience over the past year or so.

As for squirrel, don't care too much for the meat personally although it does look fun. Thanks for the input!

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I tried this with a boxer/ great dane mix. She started out good but as she got older and "lived" with me, the closer she stayed by. Good squirrel dog and deer pointer but she wont get much farther out of my sight than a couple hundred yards. I've got her on hogs and she'll chase em out and come right back. I had her in cut gear also and it handicaps her agility majorly, I guys that's why you see the bay dogs in just collars or short Stryker vests.Screenshot_20200825-184804_Messages.jpg

I tried this with a boxer/ great dane mix. She started out good but as she got older and "lived" with me, the closer she stayed by. Good squirrel dog and deer pointer but she wont get much farther out of my sight than a couple hundred yards. I've got her on hogs and she'll chase em out and come right back. I had her in cut gear also and it handicaps her agility majorly, I guys that's why you see the bay dogs in just collars or short Stryker vests.

Another reason I love this community. Saving me thousands of dollars and a failed hog dog/pet experiment.

She sure is a good lookin pup. Did she get on hog scent OK and help guide you to the general area?

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Another reason I love this community. Saving me thousands of dollars and a failed hog dog/pet experiment.

She sure is a good lookin pup. Did she get on hog scent OK and help guide you to the general area?
Not guide me to hog scent but just recognize game trails and scent. She's pointed at turkeys too. When she sees it.. whatever it is, she just freezes up and stares. If it moves, she'll chase it for a bit and come right back. She doesn't ever report with the exception if bears.