Best Hog Dog Breed

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Get you a couple beagles. They make great pets, and are fun to rabbit hunt with. And rabbits are delicious. And don't kill dogs.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I'm not the one to be giving advice on the hunting dog subject as I didnt listen to advice given to me by hog dog hunters. You dont have to starve them nearly to death but they certainly can't live with you and give you sugars....

I'm not the one to be giving advice on the hunting dog subject as I didnt listen to advice given to me by hog dog hunters. You dont have to starve them nearly to death but they certainly can't live with you and give you sugars....

I definitely hear ya. Guess what you're saying is a truly good hog dog is gonna need a tough temperament and laser focus on chasing hogs as much as possible. Or put another way, having a part-time hog dog isn't likely gonna pan out well.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I definitely hear ya. Guess what you're saying is a truly good hog dog is gonna need a tough temperament and laser focus on chasing hogs as much as possible. Or put another way, having a part-time hog dog isn't likely gonna pan out well.
I spent most of my life keeping hunting dogs. Bear hounds, coon hounds, beagles, squirrel dogs. I have also had pet dogs most of that time. The two do not usually overlap.

wag03

I second the squirrel dog advice. I have enjoyed this dog more than any of them. Great around people and children and will loose his mind trying to get a squirrel!38F5D57F-69D0-45EC-B053-EE28135CF982.jpeg19288B35-32A4-470E-AA3F-451B0FF3EFA8.jpeg

NCMTNHunter

I’ve seen good coon and bear dogs live in the house and even sleep in the bed with kids. Dogs are capable of being pets and turning the switch on when they get it the woods. Some argue that it hurts their hunting ability. I don’t know that it can be proven one way or the other.

I do believe that labs and bird dog breeds are best suited for this. Hounds, beagles, and curs can also make good pets and hunting dogs. My main concern about hog hunting the family pet is that hog dogs as a rule run a much higher risk of injury than other types of hunting dogs. You would need to decide if that is something you are you family are willing to deal with. If having a pet/hunting dog is your goal I wouldn’t be afraid to try it with any other type of dog.

hrstille

Depends on what type of bay dog your looking for. Black mouth's usually don't bark much on track, they usually wind hogs vs using ground scent & they can be funny about running with other dogs. Catahoula's are usually gritty, tight baying dogs which is good & bad. Hounds bark on track the entire time but are usually slow moving dogs. Bird/bulldogs are a crap shoot on catching or baying. All depends on the pack you want & who you hunt with. Some like silent dogs & some like barking dogs. Some like grit & others don't want cut up dogs. They all have their place & you can build a good pack by using some of each. Training & hunting the dogs will make or break them. We run ours in a 5 acre woods pen in the off season & they really pays off.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
A friend of mine who passed away 2 weeks ago (RIP Barry) used 3 or 4 jack russels to bay hogs. He always said they teamed up on a hog, and the hog couldn't decide which one to avoid and the dogs would latch onto tails, ears, legs and anything else that was still for more than just a second.

stonecreek

I have both lines Ladner and Weatherford. They are a multi tasking breed. Use mine on squirrel, hogs, recovering deer. BFFC16C9-6DCA-40A4-B4D8-03FA351EF743.jpeg

splatek

UAEC
I would love to train or have someone train my catahoula cross to do something other than take up couch space.
Love him to death but he's a runner.