Best Hog Dog Breed

Man, thinking about getting a new working dog and this is one of the things that gets me everytime.
I am a catahoula man, but never worked them outside of runs and household stuff. Time to get a woods dog... but that paragraph is a real fear.
I have seen way more dogs get killed by things other then hogs and that’s running hounds curs and running catch dogs it is a very dangerous sport do what u can to protect your dog and hope he makes it out alive. Some will see retirement age and some won’t had a friend of mine bought a dog had it 2 years it got killed and he sold every dog he had and never went hunting again best advice I can give you is if you get into learn how to stitch and staple and keep everything in your truck

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
I have seen way more dogs get killed by things other then hogs and that’s running hounds curs and running catch dogs it is a very dangerous sport do what u can to protect your dog and hope he makes it out alive. Some will see retirement age and some won’t had a friend of mine bought a dog had it 2 years it got killed and he sold every dog he had and never went hunting again best advice I can give you is if you get into learn how to stitch and staple and keep everything in your truck

Thanks. I've stitched and stapled several animals in the past as part of the research I used to do. I think my biggest hurdle will be if I ever get a dog to work is to convince the woman and my boys that the dog'll be ok.

splatek

UAEC

Thanks. I've stitched and stapled several animals in the past as part of the research I used to do. I think my biggest hurdle will be if I ever get a dog to work is to convince the woman and my boys that the dog'll be ok.

Yes sir I do understand I have 6 kids myself and I only hunt with them and my ole lady now days . Wasn’t sure how she was gonna take it first time she seen 1 get cut when she did the only thing she said was that she understands why I tell them all the time that anytime we go could be the last for the dogs

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Best breed is one that will bay until you tell it to catch. Have seen some mixed up dogs that were mighty good hog dogs. Best I ever had was Airedale/Redbone cross. Had two of em. Both named Butch so I only had to call once to get both to come.

Blackston

Best breed is one that will bay until you tell it to catch. Have seen some mixed up dogs that were mighty good hog dogs. Best I ever had was Airedale/Redbone cross. Had two of em. Both named Butch so I only had to call once to get both to come.
Hog dogs have great names ... I’ve hunted with a Fancy , fish stick , ashtray , pale face , junkyard, Bonnie ,Ginger , Bacon , Tank , That’s just a few but ,,, 2 named Butch that’s awesome!!!

ArmyTaco

A true dogman knows every single time he cuts a dog loose....that may be the very last time they see them alive. It’s a grim reality. But to keep one shut up in a fenced in yard or pen is worse....it’s what their bred to do.
This is why I own coondogs and not bear/hog dogs. I know stuff can still happen to a coondog, but with a Garmin and some sense, I can usually keep my dogs fairly safe. Ill take the Duke boys to school on driving through the woods if I see my dog heading towards a road.

danielk

Has anyone tried an english bull terrier on hogs? I own one and they are hard dogs. I've owned gamebred apbts and while the ebt isn't on par with them they are super tough. A bit more well-rounded. I know they use them quite a bit in Australia as catch dogs. I'd also like to see how a Japanese Tosa or Rhodesian Ridgeback would do.

Rich Kaminski

Try the Argentino Dogo, Great Dane or Tibitian Mastiff

Timberjack86

This is why I own coondogs and not bear/hog dogs. I know stuff can still happen to a coondog, but with a Garmin and some sense, I can usually keep my dogs fairly safe. Ill take the Duke boys to school on driving through the woods if I see my dog heading towards a road.
Lost many a good dog coon hunting. Some hit by cars, some shot by people for some reason or another. Had a couple stolen, even had one hang it's self one time. Coon went in a hole in the fork of a tree about 5 foot off the ground. Dog went up stuck her head in the hole and her tracking collar got stuck. She quit barking and we tracked her to the tree. I'll never forget that sight.

Hillbilly stalker

Lost many a good dog coon hunting. Some hit by cars, some shot by people for some reason or another. Had a couple stolen, even had one hang it's self one time. Coon went in a hole in the fork of a tree about 5 foot off the ground. Dog went up stuck her head in the hole and her tracking collar got stuck. She quit barking and we tracked her to the tree. I'll never forget that sight.
Yep...lots of ways to loose one. Snake bite is a biggie around here, or the highway. We had trouble with peoples lose pit bulls (yard dogs) coming in on our dogs. Had 2 stolen off the tree before. You never know, I try to keep one in the batters box just because of that.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Gator trappers' necropsies often find deer dog collars in gator guts.

Robust Redhorse

Blue-ticks for your hounds.

Biggest, baddest pit-mix for your catch dog.
Put a Kevlar vest on it!

The catch-dog needs to be suicidal, if live-catching or knifing.

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

A good pit-mix catch-dog may be the most impressive animal that I have ever seen. I've even hunted in Africa 2 times.

I had a 35-pound brindle fiest/Catahoula cur, that had no fear.

She took on a big red pit one morning at my house.

The pit didn't kill her, but was shaking her around like a rag-doll.

I, foolishly, tried to break them up with a piece of firewood, to no avail.

I should have had a rifle!

With that being said, everyone needs a rifle close to their front/back/side outside door, even if it's a .22.

You can put an end to almost any nefarious encounter with only a shot or two.

Animals, and goobs with handguns don't have a clue!

DynamicDennis

Whatever dog has the grit to do what you want, seen all types of good dogs. Big curr dogs 70-85 pds male, have always been best for me. I've had a couple fine ones.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
A good pit-mix catch-dog may be the most impressive animal that I have ever seen. I've even hunted in Africa 2 times.

I had a 35-pound brindle fiest/Catahoula cur, that had no fear.

She took on a big red pit one morning at my house.

The pit didn't kill her, but was shaking her around like a rag-doll.

I, foolishly, tried to break them up with a piece of firewood, to no avail.

I should have had a rifle!

With that being said, everyone needs a rifle close to their front/back/side outside door, even if it's a .22.

You can put an end to almost any nefarious encounter with only a shot or two.

Animals, and goobs with handguns don't have a clue!
Yep. There’s a pit looking dog (complete with tow strap as a tie off he chewed in half) in my neighborhood. My Lacy dog bum rushes him every time she sees him.

treemanjohn

Banned
Great thread. Any dog breed has potential to be a great bay dog if they have grit. Best I've ever seen was a standard Schnauzer. It was smart and fast and impossible for a hog to get a lick on it

Keep the property size and length of run in mind. Big dogs/big muscle. They take a big oxygen load to fuel those muscles and most don't have the gas tank for it.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Great thread. Any dog breed has potential to be a great bay dog if they have grit. Best I've ever seen was a standard Schnauzer. It was smart and fast and impossible for a hog to get a lick on it

Keep the property size and length of run in mind. Big dogs/big muscle. They take a big oxygen load to fuel those muscles and most don't have the gas tank for it.
I watched a video on Facebook I wish I could share. It was a Rhodesian ridgeback chasing a UTV down a farm road. Then a blue Lacy was visible from WAY behjnd it. The lacy caught the ridgeback, caught the UTV and the UTV had to speed up to get away.
Crazy difference in the breeds running .

Robust Redhorse

If I could put together a team, it would be Catahoola Curs as chase and bay dogs, and a BIG pit-mix (with a suicidal mindset) and a Kevlar vest as my catch dog.