Best Knife sharpener

Huntingdawg

ok folks I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. What model would you suggest for my unfortunate lack of skills? I have been looking at the electric versions, but would also like to use for shears, pruners, etc. if at all possible. Any suggestions?

John I. Shore

I would recommend something simular to this. Two cardboard wheels on a bench grinder, one has grit one has polish, it'll do anything you mentioned and more. Easy to use, cheap, good deal for the $'s and will last many years.

They can be found on Ebay, sheffields, tru-grit and jantz I think.

Hope that helps.

John I.

Attachments

• sharpening system.jpg
    sharpening system.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 2,284

BillK

I have a set of ceramic stick sharpeners made by Steamboat Sharpeners in Florida. Best set I have ever owned. Actually has two sets on one base, one course and one fine. Called them up to try and buy another set for a Christmas present several years back and a older lady answered the phone and said the company was her late husbands and closed up when he died. Sure wish someone had picked it up when he passed.
I know this doesn't help but still the best sharpener I own.

cddogfan1

I have a set of ceramic stick sharpeners made by Steamboat Sharpeners in Florida. Best set I have ever owned. Actually has two sets on one base, one course and one fine. Called them up to try and buy another set for a Christmas present several years back and a older lady answered the phone and said the company was her late husbands and closed up when he died. Sure wish someone had picked it up when he passed.
I know this doesn't help but still the best sharpener I own.

I have these too and they are really good too.

Trigabby

Agreeing with cddogfan...

Now that I have one of the worksharp sharpeners, I'm getting rid of all my lanskys and stones... To heck with that time consuming process, life is too short.

I tried and I couldn't get the lansky to sharpen a knife sharper than the worksharp. And in 1/100th the time.

mdhall

The Lansky probably won't sharpen tools as well as a bench grinder. This one is a pretty good deal online. Has 4 1/2 star reviews as well.
http://goo.gl/2pskM
41TO13gNKEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

T-Boy

Agreeing with cddogfan...

Now that I have one of the worksharp sharpeners, I'm getting rid of all my lanskys and stones... To heck with that time consuming process, life is too short.

I tried and I couldn't get the lansky to sharpen a knife sharper than the worksharp. And in 1/100th the time.

I have all these old whetstones, ceramic rods, etc. They work ok but the worksharp is so easy and creates a sharper blade for me. I take my not very expensive fillet knifes to Panama City to fillet kings, spanish, and pompano and a sharp knife makes it so much easier.

Old School is fine but this tool is worth the money. I got mine on sale at Northern Tool shipped to my door for about $75.

nkbigdog

http://www.worksharptools.com/sportsmans-sharpener.html

Got two in today from Nothern Tool and Dye

Best thing I have found hands down.

X2...I have used the lansky for over 10 yrs...
Will turn a butter knife into a razor sharp blade in 15-20
mins....Easy to use and no real skill needed....JUst follow directions and
take your time...

Have them to but agree to long to get edge but it is great when it's done

are there any for serated blades?

Work Smart works great

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
I can't sharpen anything with stones or rods -- bought a WARTHOG years ago and it's great even my wife/kids can sharpen a knife in a few minutes - http://www.warthogsharp.com/videos.php they are priced higher than when I got mine but worth the price -- fool proof sharpening - and customer service is great I had a nylon bushing wear out and they wouldn't sell me one sent me a complete set of bushings just in case I needed any in the future - mine is so good the wife even allows it a place on the kitchen counter for weekly use :fine: :fine: :fine:

7Mag Hunter

I can't sharpen anything with stones or rods -- bought a WARTHOG years ago and it's great even my wife/kids can sharpen a knife in a few minutes - http://www.warthogsharp.com/videos.php they are priced higher than when I got mine but worth the price -- fool proof sharpening - and customer service is great I had a nylon bushing wear out and they wouldn't sell me one sent me a complete set of bushings just in case I needed any in the future - mine is so good the wife even allows it a place on the kitchen counter for weekly use :fine: :fine: :fine:

I bought one of these at a gun show a few years ago....

Works great.......

jimboknows

lanskys are great, but time consuming. Worksharps are great but be careful, they will remove a lot of metal if you aren't careful. If you want sharp quickly then the worksharp is hard to beat for the money, just be careful about too much metal removal. I like the chefschoice electric sharpeners (chefs choice 130 or above), but if you also want to sharpen scissors, lawnmower blades,shears, pruners etc, then you would be best served with either the work sharp or the bench grinder type with polishing wheels like either of the above 2 posts show. To be the very best finish I would go the route of the bench grinder type...then you can get different wheels and us it as a grinder also.

Latest posts