Best lawnmower belt?

hunt n duck

I have a Simplicity zero turn mower that I love. Original deck belt lasted 4 years. When it broke I went to a local industrial supply house and bought a replacement belt, a Bando Power King. Well I haven't had too much luck with them. I usually have to replace every spring due to the old one breaking. I was going to order a replacement from simplicity, but they want $100 for it. The local belts are only $20 so it's still a little cheaper to replace each year. I was wondering if anyone had any info on a better belt that's not $100?

GoldDot40

You been buying from ID&E in Elberton? I've bought belts from them before and they didn't seem to last long. Their pulleys are decent though. I replaced some factory plastic pulleys with metal ones they offered that seemed to be decent quality.

In regards to the belt you need for your Simplicity ZTR, I've bought a few things from Jack's Small Engines in the past. Better prices than anything I've ever found local or directly from the manufacturer.

hunt n duck

Yeah, I get them from ID&E. Looked at Jacks and other places. Jacks is $96 for factory. Looking for different brand that will hold up thats not $100. Jacks has stens brand, any opinions on them?

GoldDot40

See if you can find the specs on the belt in regards to length and angle or see if you can cross reference it to a Gates belt. I'd imagine the OE belt was made by one of the better belt manufacturers like Gates or Dayco. You can likely find these on the internet for less than what you'd pay for one in a Simplicity package.

Here, use this: Gates cross reference

The Flying Duckman

Industrial belts are not the same pitch as a mower belt. They will work but....... want last. Used to work at a Ind. Supply location and people came in all the time looking to save money on a belt, then would bring it back shortly with it torn to shreds saying it only lasted a short time and they wanted their money back. Could not refund. The belts have a different pitch and depth. Best to stay with the Mfgs. suggested belt for the mower.

jmo

Harlee

I don't have a zero turn mower, but I have had good luck with the Huskee brand belt from Tractor Supply.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Best is the OEM belt.

whchunter

On Line

Try "Outdoor Distributors" online site

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
See if Bando makes the belt is a KC series. ie... B48KC.

The KC means it has a Kevlar cord and what is called a clutching cover. The Kevlar will not stretch, and the cord is place in the centerline of the pitch of the belt. What that means for you is as the belt flexes back and forth over the pulleys, the rubber moves equal amounts. The rubber lasts longer with less flex.

The clutching cover is much more resistant to wear than the regular cover and will give you longer life. The price difference is about 80 percent more, but if the belt lasts 3 or 4 years, it would be worth it. If they don't make your belt in the KC series, they may make it in the K series. It would be a step up in quality, but the KC is what you really want if available.

I have been selling them for over 38 years. As to the Gates brand, they locate their cordage a little lower in their belts, and it might do a better job if the belt runs around a lot of idler pulleys, but not near what the KC will do.

Good luck

hunt n duck

Thanks pappy. I think the main problem is the belt flexing both ways. Belt never slips, motor will stall before belt slips. The belt never shreds, it just gets alot of cracks in it then chunks of the v fly out. Think I may look into the gates.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
That is exactly why you would want the KC. They don't make it in all the sizes, but if they do, you would be happy with it, I am thinking.

Gates may or may not help, but it won't do what the kc will

hunt n duck

Thanks again pappy. Looked on bando website and found they do offer my belt in the kc, list price $57. I will give one a try.

Latest posts