Best low light scope for short range under $500

Albuds

looking for recommendations on scope for short range (150 yds and under) in low light conditions ideally with illuminated reticle. Prefer price point below $500. Considering the Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x50

bighonkinjeep

Burris E1 3-9X50. since theres no "low light" or optical charts in a store or online, Look at the exit pupil #s on low power for this scope and compare them to anything you choose. Mine has been fantastic. E1 reticle isn't illuminated but I've shot a running pig I could barely see with the naked eye in some really low light no problem. It was no problem telling exactly what it was through the scope. You wont find a better scope without spending a boatload more money. P.S. When the sun gos down in Greene county Alabama, it gets DARK
Bama 2017 1.jpg

lonewolf247

I purchased an Athlon scope a while back, and I was pretty impressed, I will say. However, best scopes for low light in my opinion, in this price range, are the Meopta riflescopes. Some can be had in the $500 range.

Ray357

AWOL
Burris E1 3-9X50. since theres no "low light" or optical charts in a store or online, Look at the exit pupil #s on low power for this scope and compare them to anything you choose. Mine has been fantastic. E1 reticle isn't illuminated but I've shot a running pig I could barely see with the naked eye in some really low light no problem. It was no problem telling exactly what it was through the scope. You wont find a better scope without spending a boatload more money. P.S. When the sun gos down in Greene county Alabama, it gets DARK
View attachment 1052056
I have three of them. They are OK, but definitely no Meopta. I have a 270 WSM that I had a E1 on. Stupid thing never shot under 1 1/2 minute. Pull that scope off to go on my son's rifle, put. Sightron SIII on and all of a sudden it's a sub 1/2 minute rifle. Sent scope back to Burris, they say it's fine. I am done with them.

Dub

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...bcd4-4f1f-93df-d6f5a8428b8a?sorting=price:asc

Meopta’s starting at UNDER $300 from Doug at CameraLand. He is good people and they are a very trusted dealer.

OP you mentioned short range (under 200 yards, I believe). 15 power is a heap of zoom and will generally make for a heavier optic vs 10-12 max zoom.
I’d consider reeling it in a bit for your short range hunting application.

Just my opinion.....and not even worth what you paid for it. :)

Those Meopta’s listed there, however, will be well worth what you pay.

sleepr71

A 2-7x ,or 3-9x is plenty for 250yds & in. I’d look for a used Leupold Vx 3. They can usually be had for $300-$350,and can shoot past legal shooting light..easily. New..I’d do a mid-grade Vortex,or Meopta Meopro. Burris used to make good stuff...not so much anymore...IMO.

Ray357

AWOL
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...bcd4-4f1f-93df-d6f5a8428b8a?sorting=price:asc

Meopta’s starting at UNDER $300 from Doug at CameraLand. He is good people and they are a very trusted dealer.

OP you mentioned short range (under 200 yards, I believe). 15 power is a heap of zoom and will generally make for a heavier optic vs 10-12 max zoom.
I’d consider reeling it in a bit for your short range hunting application.

Just my opinion.....and not even worth what you paid for it. :)

Those Meopta’s listed there, however, will be well worth what you pay.
Yep. Doug is a Yankee, but a great person to deal with despite that fact. Good customer service. Good prices on some brands and models.

Reactions: Dub

Albuds

Thanks for all the input.
I currently have a Vortex Optics Viper HS 2.5-10x44 Riflescope w/ Dead-Hold BDC Reticle on my AR10. Works great except in very low light conditions. Plan to move this to my Winchester .270wsm which is my backup gun.

So I'm looking for something in the 2.5-10 range with superior low light capability. Like the idea of an illuminated reticle.
I see options under $500 in 40,44 and 50 objectives. How important in the higher objective as I see conflicting comments about this?
Opitons I like currently are:
Meopta MeoPro 3.5-10x44RD-BDC2 $499

Athlon Midas HMR 2.5-15x50-BDC $440.99

Thoughts?

HughW2

Leupold VX 3 either 2.5-8 or 3.5x10. There are plenty of on line sites where you can find them at that price point on sale regularly. Sportoptic out of Louisiana is good and as noted above by Dub CameralandNY.

Reactions: Dub

Liberty

Leupold Freedom 2-7 is a great choice for the $200 price range.

nmurph

I've owned both Vipers and VX3's and the Meopta Optika6 is in a different level of low light transmission. I sold the Viper a couple of months ago and before I did, I took it out and compared it with the Meopta and a Leupold VX6. I set them up on a step ladder on my back porch and focused them on the same objects. During bright light and at last light the brightness was marked. Also, the eyebox of the Viper was less forgiving than the other two.

280 Man

Banned
Meopta Meopro scopes are probably the VERY best value in their price range when it comes to performance to dollars spent. Ive got one a 7-08 and it's tremendous in very low light.

I also have a Zeiss Conquest that I'm thinking very highly of selling and buying another Meopta.

nmurph

Meopta Meopro scopes are probably the VERY best value in their price range when it comes to performance to dollars spent. Ive got one a 7-08 and it's tremendous in very low light.

I also have a Zeiss Conquest that I'm thinking very highly of selling and buying another Meopta.

This, and I own several Leupys.

Darkhorse

I have a Leupold VXIII and can assure you it's clear as air and can get you a ticket for shooting after dark. Mine has been to Colorado and made a 400 yard shot on a nice 5X5 bull elk. It's also been to New Mexico and downed a bull elk there also. It's a good scope. I think it lets me shoot as late as my Zeiss Conquest 3X9 that's on my .308 permanently.
I would like to try a Meopta Optika6 on one of my big rifles.