Best rifle for short to medium distance.

Because I don’t have much time for deer hunting and just got back into it a few years ago after a 15 year hiatus, I’ve been hunting with an iron sites 30/30. This has to end. I need a good deer rifle with a scope for stand hunting the woods. 100 yards and in. No long distance shooting. I’m leaning 7mm .08. That being said, I’d like to be around $500. What should I do?
Thanks!

kayaksteve

I love my browning xbolt 7mm-08. And I bought it like new used in the box for less than $500. But pretty much any legal caliber you like or find a deal in will be great for your parameters

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
.30-30 is one of the best 100 yard deer rifles that's ever existed. You won't find anything better. Put a 1x4 scope on it.

kayaksteve

I love my browning xbolt 7mm-08. And I bought it like new used in the box for less than $500. But pretty much any legal caliber you like or find a deal in will be great for your parameters
Your 30-30 is perfectly capable and a fine gun but I think all of us like making up reasons we need a new gun! Find one you like and have at it. Can’t have to many

buckpasser

.308, .30-06, 7mm08, .243, .300 blk, 6.5 G, 6.5 C, all would be fine for your desired range if you can hit your mark. Or, as mentioned, just bolt on a good scope. Good luck either way.