Best rifle for short to medium distance.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If you’re preferring to buy a new 100 yd rifle for the woods I’d go with a new 30-30.

I think if you’re going to stick to your budget you’re probably going to land somewhere like Walmart, though. Not knocking them, I’ve got a Walmart rifle that I couldn’t pass up. It’s mostly a loaner gun when I take someone that’s gunless but it kills just fine. Just don’t have any expectations of holding its value for resale / trade.

GAoutdoor

Well then, guess its a good thing I have plenty on hand otherwise I'd be forced to rely on a 243 or 7mag.
That's the way to do it for a unique caliber. Don't think the OP will have the opportunity any time soon if he went with that caliber ;)

243SuperRC

AR-15 in 7.62x39 is a compact rifle with mild recoil. Ammo is available and fairly inexpensive. If you don’t like AR’s, the Ruger American Ranch rifle in 7.62x39 gets good reviews.

blazer

My marlin .35 caliber is my go to gun for under 150 yards in the brush. Ammo is harder to find nowadays, glad i stocked up 4 years ago.

Bubba_1122

Office Depot has a number of different makes and models of hole punchers.

They come in light weight, medium weight and heavy duty.

Lightweight might not do the job. Heavy weight is overhill. I want something in the middle.

I think the same thought process applies to a rifle for deer hunting (isn’t it just a hole puncher for pine goats). Too lightweight will lose the deer. Don’t need a 7mag to kill a deer either.

Middle of the road wins out for me (I shoot a 7-08 with 140 grain bullet).

Ford or Chevy? Doesn’t matter. They do essentially the same thing.

So just get a rifle that will punch a deer killing hole.

(sorry about the hole punch analogy. Just had the thought and couldn’t get my fingers to stop typing). :cool::D

Bobby Bigtime

We all like what has worked for us. Success with a caliber can bring great affinity and devotion, if it works don't mess with it. A few years back I decided to mess with the 450 bushmaster specifically for short range applications. After a few nice bucks and an elk, it is my go to for close work. I have a lot of choices that will work fine as well, but I really like the 450

Big7

The Oracle
Unless you are in need of a scope for vision reasons, you might look at a Williams Rear Aperture Sight.

I had one on a 336C in .35 Rem and it's solid.
Gives you a way longer sight radius, thus, more accurate than the stock bull horn mounted in the middle of the barrel.

The Williams mounts all the way back as far as you can go on the receiver, using existing screw holes.
No permanent modifications.

And.. You can screw out the peep bushing. That will open the aperture for really fast target acquisition.

I have a brand new 336C in 30-30 (shot twice) and that's what it will wear when I can get to it.

Williams makes excellent quality sights.

Big7

The Oracle
And, I'm with a lot on here.
If you just need a scoped rifle for 100 yard work, you already have the rifle. And it's good past double what you are planning on using it for.

Spend $300.00 on a Leopold VX they go from about $200.00 and up depending on which VX series you buy.

Side note: Hopefully, you have a new enough rifle that is drilled and tapped on top of the receiver.

Those multi- piece side mounts are a nightmare.

Last edited:

Jethro8410

I
I got a Jammaster
Remington 742 in 308. It has never let me down after 40 years of hunting!!
Have one of those myself. Belonged to my grandpa and I wouldn't take a million bucks for it. It's deadly accurate with 150 grain coreloks

across the river

I love my browning xbolt 7mm-08. And I bought it like new used in the box for less than $500. But pretty much any legal caliber you like or find a deal in will be great for your parameters

I've got a browning 7MM08 and love it, but if I were buying now, I would get a .308 instead. Go to bass pro shops or midway USA and search for ammo for each. There is a huge difference in availability.

Last edited:

common man

https://forum.gon.com/threads/public-land-succcess.1006544/

Me and all my son's deer have all been shot the last 10 years with a 30-30 with power shok federal ammo. They come in either 150 grain or 170 grain. I would say like others here invest in some quality rings and a decent scope or a red dot set up. Try 170s and 150s and see which your gun likes better. In both our 30-30's we were getting better groups with the 150's. If you feel you need a little extension try the leverevolutions. I just can't change because anything I have hit with the federals have died right there or died a very short distance later.

B. White

Unless you are in need of a scope for vision reasons, you might look at a Williams Rear Aperture Sight.

I had one on a 336C in .35 Rem and it's solid.
Gives you a way longer sight radius, thus, more accurate than the stock bull horn mounted in the middle of the barrel.

The Williams mounts all the way back as far as you can go on the receiver, using existing screw holes.
No permanent modifications.

And.. You can screw out the peep bushing. That will open the aperture for really fast target acquisition.

I have a brand new 336C in 30-30 (shot twice) and that's what it will wear when I can get to it.

Williams makes excellent quality sights.

I like these or Skinner on lever actions.