Best Spotted Bass Fishing?

I know that Lake Burton, Lake Rabun, Carters Lake, and Lanier all have good spotted bass fishing. Which one do you think has the best spotted bass fishing in the state?

hopper

No experience really other than lanier, but if I were going to guess I'm going with Lanier.

shadow2

Lainer.. It is arguably one of the top 3 spotted bass fisheries in the country. It has consistently taken 18+ lbs of spots to be competitive in local tournaments for the past few months. The sheer number of 3-4lb fish in that lake is amazing.

little rascal

If somebody would hurry up and introduce bluebacks in Allatoona in a few years I bet ya it would rival Lanier. Toona has a lot of 3-4 lb.ers in there and most people won't catch those until around May during the spawn. I've weighed in 18 lb.s of spots during some tourney's there in late spring and still got 2nd or 3rd to some bed fisherman who caught a couple big largemouth. Non spawn in club tourney's etc. u can win money with 6-8 lb.s of spots. Toona is a good spotted bass fishery, just needs a blueback explosion.

Toasty

If somebody would hurry up and introduce bluebacks in Allatoona in a few years I bet ya it would rival Lanier. Toona has a lot of 3-4 lb.ers in there and most people won't catch those until around May during the spawn. I've weighed in 18 lb.s of spots during some tourney's there in late spring and still got 2nd or 3rd to some bed fisherman who caught a couple big largemouth. Non spawn in club tourney's etc. u can win money with 6-8 lb.s of spots. Toona is a good spotted bass fishery, just needs a blueback explosion.

Not sure how true this is but I heard people have tried to illegally introduce them but they don’t take well to Allatoona. The reason given was turbidity in winter, but Im no biologist.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Lake Russel is hard to beat for sheer numbers....1 pounders by the double dozens and about as easy to catch as bass get when they are on. Lanier would be hard to beat anywhere but it is pretty technical fishing in my experience....Alatoona is also excellent but again very technical....Russell doesn't have the size but it is fantastic for inexperienced fishermen and there are some nice ones caught every year. Catching 25 or so a day from April to October is about as easy as it gets....but they ain't giants LOL.

It used to be common on Alatoona, in the worst of August, early and late, pretty easy to catch some 3-4 pound spots with the occasional 5 pounder chasing schools busting schools of bait. It was a blast and would end just before it got too hot to fish. I haven't done it in years but in the 80's it was about as good as it gets. West Point also had the same bite but the fish tended to be smaller and if you didn't fish extremely small baits you'd be in an acre of spots actively feeding on top and get nary a hit....Russell is more typical fishing than chasing fish on top in the summer. Good experience for young folks and less experienced folks and pretty fun for salty old experts LOL....

the Lackster

Lake Russel is hard to beat for sheer numbers....1 pounders by the double dozens and about as easy to catch as bass get when they are on. Lanier would be hard to beat anywhere but it is pretty technical fishing in my experience....Alatoona is also excellent but again very technical....Russell doesn't have the size but it is fantastic for inexperienced fishermen and there are some nice ones caught every year. Catching 25 or so a day from April to October is about as easy as it gets....but they ain't giants LOL.

It used to be common on Alatoona, in the worst of August, early and late, pretty easy to catch some 3-4 pound spots with the occasional 5 pounder chasing schools busting schools of bait. It was a blast and would end just before it got too hot to fish. I haven't done it in years but in the 80's it was about as good as it gets. West Point also had the same bite but the fish tended to be smaller and if you didn't fish extremely small baits you'd be in an acre of spots actively feeding on top and get nary a hit....Russell is more typical fishing than chasing fish on top in the summer. Good experience for young folks and less experienced folks and pretty fun for salty old experts LOL....
Russell is definitely a sleeper in the spot game. Spring time 40-50 spots a day is not uncommon but like you said, 1 lbers.

MYRX

80% of my fishing is on Russell. I like the feeling of being on the lake with very few homes. I manage to catch a lot of spots between 2 and 3 pounds, but it is hard to catch bigger spots. My best spot is around 4.5 pounds. I like to eat spots so I take home 1 or 2 each week. Most I release hoping someday they will grow up. My wife goes with me often and she does have fun catching the 1 pounders.

GTMODawg

BANNED
80% of my fishing is on Russell. I like the feeling of being on the lake with very few homes. I manage to catch a lot of spots between 2 and 3 pounds, but it is hard to catch bigger spots. My best spot is around 4.5 pounds. I like to eat spots so I take home 1 or 2 each week. Most I release hoping someday they will grow up. My wife goes with me often and she does have fun catching the 1 pounders.

I read somewhere....it may have been GON, that the DNR was trying to get folks to keep more spots on Russell. I may be wrong but it seemed like the numbers may be getting to be a problem, competing with other species for food. I normally release all bass but I also keep 5-6 on Russell. They eat pretty good LOL....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody who stocks spotted bass and bluebacks into any body ofwater where they aren't native should be shot through the kneecaps, forced to crawl over gravel, then be stabbed to death with a red-hot pitchfork. I have seen lake after lake ruined by those idiots.

reelmn

NCHHillbilly you are 100% correct spots killed the smallmouth and large mouth in Chatuga and Hiawassee and the walleye in Hiawassee lake. Blue back eat fish and and fry and small minniows.